Author Topic: I need a few testers for the upcomming MediaVP  (Read 39445 times)

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Re: I need a few testers for the upcomming MediaVP
I don't know if this can help...

I've built a 3 test missions with all terran, vasudan and shivans ships. They all are friendly and play-death when possible. You are flying an Ulysses.

Using 3.6.8. zetas + taylor's patches + HTL Elyssium and 3.6.9. debug build, I've found the Warning: Couldn't fix up turret indices in spline path in the next models:

TERRANS
Cruiser01.pof
Cruiser01x.pof
Science01.pof
Capital2t-01.pof

SHIVANS
Freigter2s-01.pof
Capital02.pof
Corvette2s-01.pof

VASUDAN
None

I can help testing some particular issue. PM me if you need some dumb beta tester.

[attachment deleted by admin]
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Are those little green blobs promethei?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I went through all those models a while back hunting down that particular bug and sent DaBrain fixed versions of the lot - so yeah. It should be fixed with the new VPs. :)

In the meantime: http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/FixedPofs.zip and http://sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/FixedPofsIBX.zip

Stick the contents of both those zips in your models and cache folders respectively. They will fix that error (and all the other ships the same error will occur on), and the ones I've HTLed in there should run faster too. :)

Edit: Changed the download links. Note that the versions of my ships that are included in here are no longer the latest. See this post for the latest.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 03:44:29 am by Vasudan Admiral »
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I'll better copy them in again... I may have overwritten some of them. (total chaos... too many sources ;) )

Btw... wasn't there a way to generate ibx files for all models at once? I kinda remember something like that.

@Mars

Yes, plus the muzzleflash for it. ;)

I plan to take the time (10 minutes) to create something I'll call "turn-off tbms". The MV packs will have all features turned on.
Like muzzle flashes, species shields, and lens-flares. And if you don't like one of them. You just download a tbm to your /data/mediavps/tables/ folder to disable it.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Btw... wasn't there a way to generate ibx files for all models at once? I kinda remember something like that.
Yeah, run the game with -pofspew.  That will load every single POF file it finds, and in the process generate an IBX file for anything that doesn't already have one. :)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Stick the contents of both those zips in your models and cache folders respectively. They will fix that error (and all the other ships the same error will occur on), and the ones I've HTLed in there should run faster too. :)
Done some map combining?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Afaik yes, to increase the efficiency.

No, all HTL modellers should follow that example.  ;7
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
VA, shouldn't the nameplate on the Hecate have its texture set to "INVISIBLE" rather than "Nameplate".  IIRC, setting it to the later, as you have in your included model, results in some color weirdness.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
VA, shouldn't the nameplate on the Hecate have its texture set to "INVISIBLE" rather than "Nameplate".  IIRC, setting it to the later, as you have in your included model, results in some color weirdness.
That's only because of the bad nameplate.dds in the MediaVPs.  If the DDS were not crap then you wouldn't see it (since it's transparent).  There is a Mantis filed on this, and a proper nameplate.dds is attached to the bug.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Any downside to using "INVISIBLE" though?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Any downside to using "INVISIBLE" though?
Shouldn't be, at least I can't think of any downside to it.  For a nameplate which is completely transparent without a name on it, it's probably even the better thing to do, using "invisible" as the default texture name.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I don't know much about the architecture of the game, but if you need someone to plug these into their system and see if they work, I'm willing to help.

I have a fairly low-end system too, so I'll be milking performance too ;)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Ok, I'm done fixing the reposted problems *phew*.

I'm not too sure about a few things though. (Shivan comm node i.e.)

Anyway... I don't know what's wrong with the weapon effects... It just displays a wrong effect for some weapons.
I'd like to fix that before I upload the new version.

Any ideas?
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Just in case these things haven't been fixed yet, here is a copy of a post I made in the zeta thread:

I just noticed a bug with the ingame Trebuchet model. It doesn't have any thruster glow in the game. I think this is because the thruster radius in the pof is far too small.

There is also a slight problem with several of the tga laser glow images (the halo effects, not the blobs themselves). The glow is too small relative to the entire image, so you don't see much of a glow in the game. The pcx versions of most of the files are fine though.

Also, I think I've said it before, but some of the "new" weapon effects could definitely use an overhaul. The Maxim and Circe still look really bad compared to what they were like in the original game, and they have been like that for a long time now. For now I would recommend just removing those entries from the tbm files.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Not sure if this made it into the 3.6.8 Zeta-710 bug reports, but some of the loadout missile models have their centers out of position.  The Harpoon is the most notable example, with it rotating around a point out ahead of its nose.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Not sure if this made it into the 3.6.8 Zeta-710 bug reports, but some of the loadout missile models have their centers out of position.  The Harpoon is the most notable example, with it rotating around a point out ahead of its nose.
That's a problem with the tech versions of the hi-poly missiles/bombs.  I don't really know how to fix it, or else I would have already.  Someone with Truespace will likely have to fix it.  The non-tech versions have already been fixed and I included those in the 710 patches.  The Trebuchet thruster glow should be fixed in there as well, unless I forgot to include the proper version in the 710's.

I also have fixed radius values for a couple of ships, like the Deimos, which made them warp in/out incorrectly (going too fast or too slow, the Deimos popping into view half-way through the warp effect, etc.).  I actually went though the trouble of hacking ModelView32 to add the ability to easily change the radius value in the POF-Editor. ;)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I actually went though the trouble of hacking ModelView32 to add the ability to easily change the radius value in the POF-Editor. ;)

I want that file.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
New version is uploaded! I'll PM you the link and the password.

The Threbuchet glow still needs to be fixed. Well... take a look if all other problems have been fixed.

Ah, also... the damn starfiled skybox doesn't work for me...

Edit: You got mail. ;)

@taylor and WMC, the link is also in the SoL internal.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 05:22:51 pm by DaBrain »
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
@DaBrain:  You still have the link to my personal MediaVP set, correct?  It should have the fixed POFs for the Trebuchet glow, and the fixed radius values for the Deimos and Sobek (there was one other too, but I can't remember what that was off the top of my head).  If you can't get them then let me know and I'll send you the individual POFs.

@Turey:  I intended to post it after finishing all that I had started (a few bug fixes, support for DDS textures, several other minor new additions), but that was a few months ago and I haven't had the time to complete everything.  Aside from a couple of bug fixes, everything else only half works.  For instance, you can edit the radius value, but can't see it (I still need to add the circle to indicate what the radius is), which makes it tough to know if your setting is correct unless you try it out in the Lab in-game.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I think I still got the link. I just missed the postings here, so the fixes didn't make it into this version.

(hosted by Game-Warden)