Author Topic: [WIP] Sarkoth's epic quest for a complete currently working campaign list.  (Read 10293 times)

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
[WIP] Sarkoth's epic quest for a complete currently working campaign list.
Welcome to the currently working campaign list [WIP]
(meaning this list is both currently being worked on and pointing to campaigns which are are currently working. Oh and I could always use some help, just saying.)
Anyone interested can post here in this thread or apply to get rights for keeping this GoogleDoc updated

Requirements:
To be able to enjoy everything from the following list to its utmost potential, there are five requirements that will need to be installed prior to any of the listed campaigns. If you are completely new and / or have no idea what to do, have a look here. It looks far more complicated than it actually is, I promise. If that's too complicated, you could also just use the FreeSpace Open Installer.

We have seen quite a few of different releases for Free Space Open in the last decade and apart from ever changing version numbers and a metric ton of user generated content, three of the probably most renowned and important releases were the [1.] Mediavps, [2.] Mediavps_3612 and [3.] Mediavps_2014. To play everything on this list, you probably want and need all three of them as well as [4.] Fsport, wich brings you the original experience of FreeSpace 1 to FreeSpace Open. You also want macfie's patch for Fsport to make it compatible with the Mediavps_2014 [5.] You can get it here

Oh and in case you're overwhelmed by the sheer amount of available campaigns, please feel free to consult Battutta's campaign guide on what to play first or next.

Due to the fact that FSO is an ever evolving project, campaign compatibility has always been an issue. To be able to make certain campaigns playable again, people like the FSCRP (FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project) have stepped up to update older Campaigns to work with newer builds and more shiny graphics. As there has been no 'global' documentation as to this point in time, half of the available content is either outdated and / or broken with current builds, which makes especially trying to get some of the smaller projects working, some sort of a hit or miss endeavour. Due to the fact that it is possible to easily customize the appropriate mod.ini of any given campaign to use a newer version of the mediavps - especially because that step is not working with all campaigns - the compiling of this list was started. And is still in progress. And will keep being in progress either as long as I remain an active member of HLP or until no new content is ever released anymore. Not seeing either happening anytime soon, so I guess we're good for the time being.

Working Campaign List with and as of 3.7.2 RC3/4
(all listed campaigns should work, but not all have been properly tested yet, as it takes a ton of time, trust me)
I'm also planning to make the list less ugly visually more appealing

Aeos Affair - Version 2.0 released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3
Aftermath - Version 2.1 released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted), requires fsport
Ancient-Shivan War
Andromedae
Artifice
Awakenings - Version 3.x released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted), requires fsport
Bem Cavalgar
Biowar 1+2 - Re-Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3
Blue Planet Age of Aquarius and War in Heaven
Burning Heaven v1.01
Cardinal Spear - Re-Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted), requires fsport
Casualties of War 1+2
Crossing The Styx
Crucible - Re-Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted)
Dawn of Sol
Deep Blood - Re-Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted)
Destiny of Peace - Re-Released for mediavps, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted), requires fsport
Derelict - Upgraded to mediavps_2014 and running with 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted)
Desperate Times - Re-Released for mediavps_3612 and running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3
Deus Ex Machina
Dimensional Eclipse /w Singularity Version 1.1b - Re-Released for mediavps_2014 and running with 3.7.2 RC3
Dreams
Dusk Wars - Re-Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_3612 and 3.7.2 RC3
Eagle Takes Flight - Re-Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3, requires fsport
Fall of Epsilon Pegasi - Re-Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted)
Flames of War
Flames of War Chapter1
Frontlines 2334
Fsport Legacy Campaign Bundle Number of missions: Lots *(for notes, see below) - mostly released for retail or mediavps, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC1, requires fsport
Just Another Day Series - Released for mediavps_3612 and mediavps_2014, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC4
Ghost Revenants
Greattincanrun
Homesick
Incursion - Upgraded together with Return to Sol to mediavps_2014 and running with 3.7.2 RC3
Inferno Alliance (I have utterly lost track of the original Inferno releases and can't seem to find anything still working in that regard)
Into the Depths of Hell (needs to be checked if working and to what extent)
Into the Halls of Valhalla
Luyten Civil War
Memories of the Great War (containing Hellgate Ikeya, Light of Antares and Rain on Ribos 4)
Operation Savior - Upgraded to mediavps_2014 and running with 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted)
Pandoras Box - Version 2.2 released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted)
Shivans - Phantoms & Echo-Gate - Re-Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted), requires fsport
Points of View
Procyon Insurgency - Version 1.05 - Patched for mediavps_2014 and running with 3.7.2 RC3 (still in testing)
Relentless
Renegade Resurgence
Return to Sol - Upgraded together with Incursion to mediavps_2014 and running with 3.7.2 RC3
Revenge
Ridiculous
Rise of the Corporate - Number of missions: 6 - Released for mediavps, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC 3 one error during mission load but ignorable
Rogues! - Number of missions: 8 - Re-Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC 4
Search for Bosch + Valentine Special
Second Great War
Shadow Genesis
Shadows of Kraken (Axem will hate me for adding this to the list)
Shivans!
Shrouding the Light
Silent Threat: Reborn
Sol: A History
Star Wars Original Trilogy Public Beta - Version 3 - Released for mediavps_2014 and running with 3.7.2 RC4
Stormfront Continuum Number of missions: around 50 in total - Released for mediavps and running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC4, requires StormFrontStock (also on the homepage) creates 17 warnings and/or errors but personally didn't encounter any plotstoppers so far
Sync - Re-Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3
Technological Superiority: Chapter 1 - Re-Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.72 RC3
Tides of Darkness
Titan Rebellion - Released for mediavps_3612, running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted)
The Aftermath - Fixed to run with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC3, requires a current Blue Planet release
The Antagonist
The Apocalpyse: Vega
The Centaur Project
The Exodus
Their Finest Hour - Released for mediavps_3612, not tested yet.
The Lightning Marshal 0-4 including The Regulus Campaign - Upgraded to mediavps_2014 (twice, one instance with original gameplay, which is linked and one reinterpreted version) and running with 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted)
The Vasudan War Project - Chapter 1
Transcend
Trouble at Home
Twilight - Number of missions: 6 - Released for mediavps and running with mediavps_2014 and 3.7.2 RC4
Vassago's Dirge - Upgraded to mediavps_2014 and running with 3.7.2 RC3
Warzone - Upgraded to mediavps_2014 and running with 3.7.2 RC3 (voice acted)
What If - Another Great War Number of missions: - Released for mediavps and running with mediavps_2014. Only could get this to start with 74 warnings / errors with 3.7.2 RC1.
Windmills - Restored quite a while ago for build 3.6.12, does not use any mediavps, running on 3.7.2 RC3 but crashes or errors might occur
Wings of Dawn + Stranded + A Nordera Day - Released for mediavps_2014 and needs WoD small patch (20.6.14) to run on 3.7.2 RC3 or newer

*I also present the FSport Legacy Campaign Bundle (I take no credit for any content whatsoever, all rights remain the respective author's rights) containing: 25th Year, Alliance Fights Back, Battle For Altair, Duke Squad, Dark Raji, D-W, Hellwolf, Infinite Dimension, Internal Conflicts Ep1, Marduk's Shroud, New Beginnings, Nubian Conflict, Ross128, Second Vasudan War, Special Ops, Start of the Vasudan War, Tango, The Counterstrike, The McCarthy Campaign, The Road to Victory, Vasudan Academy, War, Wolfpack Legacy and a few other standalone missions I scooped together, which you can access from the tech room, all bundled together into one extractable RAR. Needs 3.7.2 RC1, otherwise a few campaigns fail to load or have errors.

The things on this list either work fully or to some extent. This list ist probably not yet complete and needs additions, so I would be glad for any suggestions. I will also cross-reference with scotty's campaign repository as well as ModDB, Sectorgame and FSMods to check if there's some more working campaigns I missed after I managed to test everything already on the list here.

Broken Campaign List as of 3.7.0 and later
Marduk's Shroud - First missions crashes on startup, but you can skip to mission 2 via CTRL + SHIFT + S in the tech room mission simulator and play the other 5 missions just fine.
Allied Worlds & Allied Forces 109 Errors on startup and 24 missing ship classes. Epic fights between Ulysses, Ulysses and even more Ulysses.

Any help with keeping this project up to date by reporting issues or suggesting additional entries would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: By suggestion of Cyborg17 I can haz made a GoogleDoc. It doesn't look pretty (changing all the html codes in the document was bothering enough), but it works. Anyone who is willing to help and wants permission to edit, please step up. I will keep updating both this thread and the doc regularly and implement any changes that have been made in the doc here.

UPDATE: With 3.7.2 RC4 being out, I won't retest everything for now, but I will do all future testing with 3.7.2 RC4. Until eventually the final version comes out. Not sure if happy or sad.

UPDATE 13.09.14: Partial thread overhaul! More to follow.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:50:14 am by Sarkoth »
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Sarkoth's epic quest for a complete currently working campaign list.
Where is Ancient-Shivan War?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
My bad, mistook my Ancient-Shivan War folder for Ashen Wings. Rectified! Especially since Dimensional Eclipse already is in the list.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:58:09 am by Sarkoth »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
:yes: you the man, Sarkoth

Offline Lorric

:yes: you the man, Sarkoth
+1. This is a great idea! :)

Maybe this is something that could be in line for a sticky, if not now, in future...

Offline CT27

You have Return To Sol listed but not its prequel "Incursion".

I saw you have "The Incursion" just now.  If you're referring to the campaign that's in continuity with Return To Sol, I think its title is just "Incursion"

Offline Lorric

I think the rolled into one campaign has been named "Incursion Return".

All three should probably be listed.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
I wanted to avoid double entries, although I am fully aware of macfies marvellous work on the double pack of the Incursion and Return to Sol. Played it just about three weeks ago. I will add the info though. Thanks for mentioning it.

Small update: For now I will only include hyperlinks to release threads for campaigns and/or projects hosted on HLP itself. I figured I'd do the stuff on the list first before stretching my feelers into the abyss of sectorgame, remnants of the volition archives or moddb. Because if I try doing everything at the same time, I am bound to fail. I also plan to dedicate my time regularly for a longer period to keep things updated as the list progresses. It's far from something to be finished or done during an odd weekend.

For the first few days I will probably end up just adding the information for all "newer campaigns" which definitely are (or at least should be) working with all current nightlies.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:17:07 pm by Sarkoth »

Offline Axem

Re: [WIP] Sarkoth's epic quest for a complete currently working campaign list.
What's wrong with my version numbers?  :confused:

Offline CT27

There's also the "Into The Depths Of Hell" series.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
FWIW, both times I went through Windmills (last time was through the version given by the FSO installer), there was a show stopper in the second or third mission.  It involves an event that uses ship-replace.  Not sure what the original intended behavior was, though, so I only fixed the error in my own campaign.

How are we going to track all this data?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I like this idea a lot :yes:  However, I feel that the forum is not the best place for it because only one person (or an admin) can update the list in the original post.  Maybe instead the Campaign List on the wiki could be cleaned up and used for this info?
e.g.
*) Add a info on the SCP release and mediavps version to the "requirements" field
*) Move the non-released entries to a similar but separate page?
*) Remove the special content field (this info could be added to the Story field)
*) add all the new campaigns listed above that aren't already on this page

(just thinking out loud here)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
@ Axem: The naming continuity of your JAD releases doesn't follow a standard number scheme since the third version. Which is both fun and heavily annoying at the same time. ;)

@ CT27: I'm not sure if I remember it correctly, but Into the Dephts of Hell had an ridiculous amount of errors and was practically unplayable with any current build. I put it on the list of things to recheck it.

@ Cyborg17: Yes, Windmills unfortunately isn't fully working. I never saw the 4th mission myself. But it is an experimental proof of concept anyway, so I kept it in the working list.

@ niffiwan: The idea to implement this information into the wiki somewhere - not necessarily the Campaign List - was a thought I had initially, as a lot of entries are definitely in need of an overhaul or aren't even existing, but keeping the wiki updated in regards to which campaigns are actually working with current builds would in my opinion take quite a bit more of manpower than a stickyfied thread on the board here. Let me be completely honest: Even if I got the rights to add stuff to the wiki, the mere thought of linking to other wiki pages and updating or writing not yet existing entries feels like quadrupling the necessary workforce. I am all in favour of that idea eventually, but I'd rather have an as complete as possible list on the board first, from which we can continue or start an endeavour to get the wiki up to date afterwards. Does this make sense?

Edit: Macfie, I couldn't find your mediavps_2014 patch for the fsport anymore, that one is crucial for other people to get the campaigns working as I have stated. Could you do me the favour of linking that for me, so I can include it in the thread?

Edit 2: Have been on an updating and testing spree for the last three hours.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:41:02 am by Sarkoth »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
@ niffiwan: The idea to implement this information into the wiki somewhere - not necessarily the Campaign List - was a thought I had initially, as a lot of entries are definitely in need of an overhaul or aren't even existing, but keeping the wiki updated in regards to which campaigns are actually working with current builds would in my opinion take quite a bit more of manpower than a stickyfied thread on the board here. Let me be completele honest: Even if I got the rights to add stuff to the wiki, the mere thought of linking to other wiki pages and updating or writing not yet existing entries feels like quadrupling the necessary workforce. I am all in favour of that idea eventually, but I'd rather have an as complete as possible list on the board first, from which we can continue or start an endeavour to get the wiki up to date afterwards. Does this make sense?

Yeah, that makes sense. If all the info is gathered into this thread anyway, moving that to the wiki shouldn't be much more effort.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
I'm glad we agree. :)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
So let's say we got to the stage where everyone is testing like crazy.  Are you going to be the one to update every time someone has data to update?  I would use a google doc or two, make it public with a link in the first post, export it to your computer periodically as a personal backup.  I think it saves version history itself, too.

Also, with this system people could be doing multiple steps at once.  For instance someone could post their progress on fixing Windmills which you populate your list with more mod packs.  Methodical is good, open source is better.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
So let's say we got to the stage where everyone is testing like crazy.  Are you going to be the one to update every time someone has data to update?  I would use a google doc or two, make it public with a link in the first post, export it to your computer periodically as a personal backup.  I think it saves version history itself, too.

Also, with this system people could be doing multiple steps at once.  For instance someone could post their progress on fixing Windmills which you populate your list with more mod packs.  Methodical is good, open source is better.

Fair point, check the update at the top of the thread. I will give everything an overhaul soon as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:53:34 am by Sarkoth »

Offline CT27

I'd like to suggest two more campaigns for this list:

"Rogues"
"Rise Of The Corporates"

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Added

Rise of the Corporate was in the list as simply "Rise", removed the duplicate and remembering it was a rather short campaign, already played it through. Rogues is next.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:47:03 pm by Sarkoth »

Offline CT27

Great list so far.

2 suggestions:

1-(this is more of an update than a suggestion) Cyborg17 has created a complete new file for "The Aftermath".  Instead of downloading a main file and then downloading a couple patches, there's just one file to download now.  I posted that on the first page of the thread in the opening post.

2-"Sol:  A History" is a campaign that's pretty good.  It worked well with 2012 mediaVPs last I checked.