Author Topic: GTFg Midgard  (Read 7799 times)

My new model. I decided to make something Fenris- like because I have not found many ships similar to that design. Don't worry. I did not stop the paint job for Hydra. But there are days when I don't have motivation for painting, however I have many ideas for new models.

GTFg Midgard (View in 3D)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Saw this in the other thread and liked it... is that a hangar on the dorsal rear?  ;7
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Yes. This vessel will be bigger then Leviathan and the hangar bay will be able to store 12 fighters and.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Oh its actually bigger?  I was thinking it would be around the same size, but a little bulkier
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Yes. This vessel will be bigger then Leviathan and the hangar bay will be able to store 12 fighters and.
The suspense is killing me. :p

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Oh its actually bigger?  I was thinking it would be around the same size, but a little bulkier

the Fg designation (Frigate) tends to suggest something between a corvette and a destroyer, though that is a "soft" definition as it has no FS canon confirmation
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline BirdofPrey

Considering FS ship classes go (smallest to largest) cruiser, corvette, destroyer you can't assume the size based on the name mathing that of a naval designation.

I was commenting more to the effect I figured it would be heavier (more armed and armored), but not necessarily (significantly) larger due to the somewhat shared hullform.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Whatever it ends up as, I heartily endorse it.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Considering FS ship classes go (smallest to largest) cruiser, corvette, destroyer you can't assume the size based on the name mathing that of a naval designation.

I was commenting more to the effect I figured it would be heavier (more armed and armored), but not necessarily (significantly) larger due to the somewhat shared hullform.

Its based on the Iceni being the only canon combat ship which is attributed as a frigate in some game text.  As i say it is a soft definition.
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

In terms of size.
I consider a frigate as a vessel which is bigger or similar size to a corvette. I admit that the size will be determined by the hangar bay which will have to be big enough to store the fighters and all the equipment needed. Though it's not a carrier I want it to look like a self sufficient multi-role warship. I guess that final length will be around 700- 900 meters.

For now I plan to make a GW- era version armed with railguns and  missiles, however I also consider making a second one, armed with beams. That will make the ship more flexible to use in different campaigns
Next thing I will model will be probably the "sting" equipped with AF missile launcher.

Worst nightmare will be of course the bow of the ship. I never liked it in Fenris/Levy however that part made them quite unique (to me they look like they were a bit inspired by present-day ships) and I want to keep it that way.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about calling it a heavy cruiser?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline An4ximandros

Support Cruiser...
Ferry Cruiser...
Light Carrier...

Just ideas.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
No.

Because frigates are cool and Fg designation is cool as well!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
How long is this thing? Unless it's significantly larger than it appears at first glance, I don't think it's really big enough to qualify as a frigate...

For comparison, the Fenris is 253 meters long, the Deimos is 717 meters long, and the Iceni (the only canonical frigate) is 998 meters long. The impression I get from the P3D preview is that this isn't that much bigger than the Fenris; even if it's twice as long, it still sounds more like an oversized cruiser or an undersized corvette than a frigate.

Of course, I have no idea how big it actually is, hence why I'm asking.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
How long is this thing? Unless it's significantly larger than it appears at first glance, I don't think it's really big enough to qualify as a frigate...

For comparison, the Fenris is 253 meters long, the Deimos is 717 meters long, and the Iceni (the only canonical frigate) is 998 meters long. The impression I get from the P3D preview is that this isn't that much bigger than the Fenris; even if it's twice as long, it still sounds more like an oversized cruiser or an undersized corvette than a frigate.

Of course, I have no idea how big it actually is, hence why I'm asking.

In terms of size.
I consider a frigate as a vessel which is bigger or similar size to a corvette. I admit that the size will be determined by the hangar bay which will have to be big enough to store the fighters and all the equipment needed. Though it's not a carrier I want it to look like a self sufficient multi-role warship. I guess that final length will be around 700- 900 meters.

For now I plan to make a GW- era version armed with railguns and  missiles, however I also consider making a second one, armed with beams. That will make the ship more flexible to use in different campaigns
Next thing I will model will be probably the "sting" equipped with AF missile launcher.

Worst nightmare will be of course the bow of the ship. I never liked it in Fenris/Levy however that part made them quite unique (to me they look like they were a bit inspired by present-day ships) and I want to keep it that way.

So heavy ("tactical" with the hanger?) Corvette, 850-900+ range I would be comfortable calling it a Frigate

end of the day what ever Hornet calls it who ever uses it will almost undoubtedly rename/reclassify it to suit their needs anyway so Hornet says its a frigate, its a frigate.

Offline BirdofPrey

As mentioned before, ship size names in Freespace are total bunk anyways

Offline An4ximandros

I would be totally okay with establishing a new nomenclature. :warp:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
[snip]
I don't know how I missed that. :nervous: Thanks, headdie.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I really like what you've done here, the proportions feel right and it's a novel idea.

A couple of suggestions however. I think the docking ring should be circular (doesn't need to be, but it's my personal preference) and perhaps something on the chin to balance out the bottom engine, but otherwise it's looking pretty good!
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I really like this model as well!  Keep going!