Author Topic: GTCv Deimos  (Read 87572 times)

Offline Skarab

I have to disagree with the "too much detail" as well, not only for the previous reasons mentioned, but also because the Deimos is not some tiny fighter craft. It's a capital ship. In game, those details will not seem anywhere near as tiny as they do in a p3d preview window.

Offline Luis Dias

Did you notice when those necessary SEXPs were created? Did you care? Probably not.

You're entitled to your two cents, but it's a shame you spend your time demoralizing those to who you have so much to be grateful for.

That escalated quickly. Chill out man, an4 is a good forumite and that was really unnecessary.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I have to say, I like the new Deimos. It's perhaps the most overused FS2 ship out there, and this might manage to make the overuse bearable. :)
It is, in general, a rather boring, generic-looking ship. Yet, this version managed to be interesting to look at, and retain however little spirit the original model had.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
I have to say, I like the new Deimos. It's perhaps the most overused FS2 ship out there, and this might manage to make the overuse bearable. :)
that's simply because it and the other 2 corvettes are the only somewhat balanced capital ships in the game ;)
and i agree, if there is any ship where those details are not wasted, it's the deimos

have fun UV-mapping this monster though
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

I dread at the thought of uv'ing and texturing this monster.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Skarab

If the end results shown by the excellent Medusa are any indication, I'd say it's in good hands.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
that's simply because it and the other 2 corvettes are the only somewhat balanced capital ships in the game ;)
and i agree, if there is any ship where those details are not wasted, it's the deimos

if a beautiful model is finished but nobody wants to texture it because of Lots of greebles, that's when I say there's too many greebles.

Of course, this definition is entirely subjective and arbitrary and not-future-proof. So take it with a grain of salt. That said, I'd like to see a finished model. This is quite a piece already.

:v: created something very special, and when the final contributor leaves Freespace Open a very big part of my childhood will die. I like to think that when I secure a full-time job I'll find the time to learn how to be a helpful member of the community and create something which others will enjoy. Until then, I'm deeply grateful for every last detail lovingly crafted on into this Deimos. Each bug fix, each new SEXP, each pipe on a model took time and effort. It might not be something that you personally will notice, but it's something which improves the overall quality of the game. I'm sure there's a campaign out there which would have been impossible without the work of the Source Code Project. Did you notice when those necessary SEXPs were created? Did you care? Probably not.

You're entitled to your two cents, but it's a shame you spend your time demoralizing those to who you have so much to be grateful for.

Do not try to shame people for expressing constructive criticism. Especially do not do so in such a rambling and nonsensical way.

An4x: The Deimos is perhaps the single most prominent capital ship in FS2, and similarly for a lot of expansions. You spend a lot of time flitting about the hull of one in missions, so I think the detail will be appreciated.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

I agree, this model is probably the most important improvement the game will have in 2014.

Just looked at this...man that's a stellar job! That front reminds me of that robot from that movie called The Iron Giant!  :D

Cant wait to see this workhorse completed!

All the Best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I'm liking the new quad-flak turrets.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Thank you. I need to reduce the polygons on its barrels but other than that, the main Deimos mesh itself is done. I'll need to find a suitably good texturer as I'll be uvmapping this too.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
:necro:

After much deliberation, Hades has given me the Deimos (UV Mapped by The Dagger, thanks friend) and I've started experimenting with colors in Quixel Suite.

Bit of wear and tear masking, makes the Deimos look a bit small unfortunately, will have to fiddle with it

Expect detailing and proper color ID masking in the coming days/weeks.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yessssuufdudfuusufsdfshfkhfjsjhkdfskhjsssss

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep

Hades found it buried in his sandbox? :P
===
I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Always a shame to see nice models lie unused due to lacking textures *cough*Apollo*cough*
Is all that greebling on the bottom thruster really modeled, not just a normal mask?
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Please don't change any subsystem/turret/dockpoint names

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Always a shame to see nice models lie unused due to lacking textures *cough*Apollo*cough*
Is all that greebling on the bottom thruster really modeled, not just a normal mask?

It's all modeled, and it was probably a ***** to UV map, much like the girders on the Orion (Thanks HADES). Anyways, I've already tweaked the weathering to an ideal level.

And the Apollo just needs to be UV Mapped afaik.

Please don't change any subsystem/turret/dockpoint names
Wasn't planning on it.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline CKid

Yes! My favorite warship looks so glorious! I have been waiting so long for this, can't believe it's finally happening!
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
It's all modeled, and it was probably a ***** to UV map, much like the girders on the Orion (Thanks HADES). Anyways, I've already tweaked the weathering to an ideal level.
I imagine so.
Looks better already (admittedly, some of it may also be the lighting; the earlier image looked kinda bronze partially due to the lighting.  This is also why it's sometimes hard to tell how good something looks before actually seeing it rendered in game)

And the Apollo just needs to be UV Mapped afaik.
Kinda what I was saying.  There's a few finished models still awaiting complete textures, and I was under the impression the Apollo hadn't gotten any texture work at all.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons