Author Topic: KARMA's fenris  (Read 21198 times)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
you are right, doing this way is surely very fast, but I've noticed in the past that scaling not proportionally may add some artifacts and distorsion, expecially in the diagonal lines..nothing too weird, but it'd be better a deeper job

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
:eek: :eek2: :eek: :eek2: :eek:

*demands more high poly capships*
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by KARMA
You *must* have textures with sizes power of 2, which mean 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048...., elseway MAJOR slowdowns will happen, like in this case.

But are textures with, say, size 512x1024 alright?

I agree with Nico on this, one MIGHT be able to get all those maps onto one single map.  Might do it myself shortly.:doubt:
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I think the game still scales them square.  But doubling the side length is much easier to do than scaling it by an irrational factor, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Remember, they don't have to actually be proportional to the model, so you can save the processor and scale the images before they go into the game.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

How much are we talking here, about framerate drop? Like, if I always had Freespace 2 running at 60 FPS, no more, no less, never changing, and it ran on my Radeon 9600 XT, (better than 9700 Pro, less than 9800 Pro) and I saw this High Polly totally *****en Fenris, where would my framrate go from there?

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Indeed. Where would the framerates go if we had ALL hi poly ships, or at least cap ships. High-res textures, maybe Omni's Earth model, spec mapping, ambient maping...hmm.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Tin Can: turn off vsync and increase your monitor refresh rate
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Probably very little when it's just the Fenris, though you really need to turn off vsync to know what framerates you're actually getting.  The issue is much more relavent to the lower-end user still slugging it out with a card 3+ generations removed from the cutting edge, a P3, and not so much RAM.  The point is that it is wasteful in terms of available resources to use non-standard texture sizes whenever they are used, and inevitably it will make some difference for someone between a game that is playable and one that is not.  Always, always, always make sure all media falls into the 2^n on a side category.

EDIT: Well that was pointless, thanks all for getting this before me :rolleyes:

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
it might be safer to convert it from pof. i seem to have a very mixed up textures folder, so i can't tell if this will work on other ppls systems, but here's the scn and it's textures. do whatever you like with them. :)
http://www.sectorfiles.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/HTL_Fenris-SCN.zip
(not 3ds format because i don't have 3ds max to test with, and 3d exploration didn't show any of the textures anyway. :\ )
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Raptor

Please don't kill me for this...

But I've already been doing some tinkering.:nervous:

Just changed the turret setup slightly.

Got to get that main ventral turret working...:mad:

Then I might see about those textures...

On a related note:

This is a modified version of Hammonos Ticogo..... His big heavy cruiser.  Minor changes to hull, overhaul of turrets.  Haven't finished texturing all of the turret maps yet.

Someone needs to do to this what was done to the Fenris...
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
this is the 3ds: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/swfs2/wips/htl_fenris.3ds
I just converted the pof->cob and converted again to 3ds
shaders will be almost surely screwed
BTW I'm a bit embarassed if you really want to draw new textures, I mean.. I know how good you are and do it if you want and really have time to, I'm sure the result will be astonishing, but I'd have made probably a different (better) model in that case.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 09:51:10 am by 433 »

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
btw, about framerates, I remember a discussion from another game (BC) where IIRC in a model with many k polys and many 1024x1024 textures a single ~300x300 animated texture killed completely the framerates.
I think that the only slowdown here is cause by the engine rescaling the textures (14), and probably isn't too serious, but obviously if you have the maps already at the right size, you'll save many operations.
Actually you should be able to test it by yourself in few minutes, scaling on your own the maps for a simple test (which would be interesting)

Offline JarC

guys, I think I discovered the cause of the slowdown
...[SNIP]...
You *must* have textures with sizes power of 2, which mean 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048...., elseway MAJOR slowdowns will happen
:eek2: than you haven't looked at the maps in the media vp's lately I presume? there's not a single one that has both dimensions in this category
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Which is why the framerates are killed. If someone got bored and resized them, they's have a better gaming experience.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
this is the 3ds: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/swfs2/wips/htl_fenris.3ds
I just converted the pof->cob and converted again to 3ds
shaders will be almost surely screwed
BTW I'm a bit embarassed if you really want to draw new textures, I mean.. I know how good you are and do it if you want and really have time to, I'm sure the result will be astonishing, but I'd have made probably a different (better) model in that case.

I'm not planing on changing anything on the Fenris, I like it as it is.
If you don't mind, tho, maybe I can tweak the mesh a bit to adjust some parts ( making mapping easier )?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Funny. This Fenris runs smoothly. The vanilla Hercules and Ursa kill my framerates. :p

Maybe it's because I resized every map to 1024x1024...?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
Originally posted by Nico

I'm not planing on changing anything on the Fenris, I like it as it is.
If you don't mind, tho, maybe I can tweak the mesh a bit to adjust some parts ( making mapping easier )?

sure:)

Originally posted by JarC
:eek2: than you haven't looked at the maps in the media vp's lately I presume? there's not a single one that has both dimensions in this category

yeah, that issue really, really should be solved somewhere around a month ago. the issue is remapping all the original textures, IIRC. Have fun.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Nope, the issue is just scaling the darned things.  As long as the relative positions of features on the textures remain the same, mapping will hold flawlessly.  It's probably in interface-related stuff that the problem comes up, and that's not quite as critical.

interface stuff is ok, but someone should go through all the in-game maps, including the spec and glow ones and change it. it will require human attention to figure out the best size to round to.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm