Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 581400 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
See, building something in creative is legit...
Since it's a feature of the game
Therefore legit

Because you're spending your time on one activity instead of splitting it into three or more. Lack of variety, etcetera.
I would also think that people tend to create larger projects in creative, so instead of mining and building a 30x30 house, you do creative and do 100x100 mansion. And while you spend less time mining, you spend more time laying 9100 more blocks per floor.

I like spending time on only one activity. Makes it easier for me to build what I want in a limited time frame before I go off to work
That, and I play Minecraft because it's essentially virtual Lego
"No"

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
with the added bonus of "never step on that ****ing brick you forgot to put back again"
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
with the added bonus of "never step on that ****ing brick you forgot to put back again"

just the thought of that brings back phantom aches and pains from stepping and kneeling on the stuff!!
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

just the thought of that brings back phantom aches and pains from stepping and kneeling on the stuff!!

See, I never had to worry about this
Someone else would step on it before me :D
"No"

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

See, I never had to worry about this
Someone else would step on it before me :D

yer well my mum and dads front room made a perfect playground for it, problem is that the floor was the best space, so while building something i would often stand, kneel or put the heel of my hand on a bit, ouch
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Lego + Minecraft = Legomine/Minelego/Legocraft?
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

I tried making a Herc out of legos onc.. ok, like 5 times. Its not as easy. Minecraft is like Lego+ and $25ish gets you ALL the peices... if you dont include 3D printer and software that is.

Lego + Minecraft = Legomine/Minelego/Legocraft?

+1 for legocraft. All we need is a texturepack.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:31:37 pm by KyadCK »
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Therefore legit

Who said it's not legit?
It was CKack or whatever that said (roughly) "well since you only play survival you cannot possibly have made anything worth caring about so shut yer face" effectively. Or in other words I've been mosty defending survival, not bashing creative. So how you're getting it backwards I don't know. I don't care if people just play creative or prefer to play without creeper enviro damage, etcetera. It's not what I prefer, but I don't begrudge other people for doing so. I think it takes some of the flavour out of the game myself but to each their own. Nor would I shun playing on a server where enviro damage was disabled. Though those endermen are quite endearing. and it would sad to not see them around.

The Fenris airlock example, yeah, it's complicated. But if it's well lit, and the areas around it are well lit, then is it really in danger? Creepers can bust up your castle but if your castle is inaccesible to creepers then how's it an issue? Or the ghast fireballs, yeah they do enviro damage but if you build in the nether just use stone bricks or something that won't break. It's not difficult.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Therefore legit

Who said it's not legit?
It was CKack or whatever that said (roughly) "well since you only play survival you cannot possibly have made anything worth caring about so shut yer face" effectively. Or in other words I've been mosty defending survival, not bashing creative. So how you're getting it backwards I don't know. I don't care if people just play creative or prefer to play without creeper enviro damage, etcetera. It's not what I prefer, but I don't begrudge other people for doing so. I think it takes some of the flavour out of the game myself but to each their own. Nor would I shun playing on a server where enviro damage was disabled. Though those endermen are quite endearing. and it would sad to not see them around.

The Fenris airlock example, yeah, it's complicated. But if it's well lit, and the areas around it are well lit, then is it really in danger? Creepers can bust up your castle but if your castle is inaccesible to creepers then how's it an issue? Or the ghast fireballs, yeah they do enviro damage but if you build in the nether just use stone bricks or something that won't break. It's not difficult.

Na, I said if you actually made something as complex as the fenris, which in only survival I very much doubt, your opinion would likely not be the same. The level of dificulty in creative-mode builds is waaaay above the level of survival simply because it can be. Good interpretation though alkaline angel. FYI, you can scroll up to see names.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
SO!!!!

Anybody using the Steampunk texture pack? It kicks all kinds of victorian-esque arse, does it not?
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Who said it's not legit?

Na, I said if you actually made something as complex as the fenris, which in only survival I very much doubt, your opinion would likely not be the same. The level of dificulty in creative-mode builds is waaaay above the level of survival simply because it can be. Good interpretation though alkaline angel. FYI, you can scroll up to see names.

No you said

"Until you've made anything truly amazing, you have no basis to judge on. And no offence, but if you only play in survival, then odds are way against you building anything close to the level I'm talking about."

There's a difference between "until you've made . . . you have no basis" and "if you'd made . . . your opinion would likely not be the same" but nice try with the revisionist history.

And you're wrong by the way, my opinion would not differ. I would just take greater measures to protect what was important.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
SO!!!!

Anybody using the Steampunk texture pack? It kicks all kinds of victorian-esque arse, does it not?

You can not derail us!

And you're wrong by the way, my opinion would not differ. I would just take greater measures to protect what was important.

No you wouldn't. I've seen too many people spend weeks on something big and all the sudden not wish for working creepers. You'
re just another player who's only tasted one cake and proclaims it, and the logics by it, to be the best. I think I shall call you a "vanilla survival fanboy". What with you not even trying the alternative and all.

As a side note. Yes. My standards are very high. Take a look at the survival Fenris vs the creative one. I can say, as a fact, that survival mode can not make anything amazing in comparison to creative. I can say for a fact that unless you have built on the level creative allows for, then you have no basis to judge the people who dont want creepers near it.

As a side note. Yes. My standards are very high. Take a look at the survival Fenris vs the creative one. I can say, as a fact, that survival mode can not make anything amazing in comparison to creative.

And this is where I have to object.  The first Fenris attempt was cut off pretty early on, so no, it wasn't much more than a shell.  Do you honestly think that, had Creative mode not been made available to Survival servers, the shell would have been the extent of the project?  Doubtful.  As I recall, plans were already being formed for the interior sections of the ship.  I'll grant that the Fenris as a whole is being finished much more quickly, since Creative mode became available to the server, but you're showing some fanboyism of your own by dismissing the project as impossible in Survival.

Let me throw in another article of consideration, while I'm posting:

How many people are actively contributing time/resources to the construction of the Fenris, now that it is primarily a Creative mode project?  How many people were actively contributing time/resources to the construction of the Fenris, when it was a Survival mode project?  The Survival mode Fenris was very much a community project, in which nearly everyone on the server was actively involved.  Unless things have changed significantly, since the last time I logged on, the Fenris has been the baby of two or three people.  One project is too small a data set to say that Creative mode can kill community projects, but it seems pretty likely that Survival mode can facilitate participation in community projects.

Incidentally, on the subject of full-power Creepers (assuming that they're still remotely relevant to this conversation), they suck in SMP, mostly because latency and packet loss make fights with them significantly more difficult.  I wouldn't want a hole punched in anybody's structure because a packet was briefly lost in the aether.  In singleplayer, they're a pretty cool hazard, though.  The damage that they can cause to your structures makes them a much greater threat than other hostile mobs, in the early game, and later on, they're a measuring stick for the degree to which you've mastered your environment.  When Creepers are no longer a threat in SSP, you're doing well.  When you build a spawner to deliberately generate Creepers and harvest their gunpowder, you've won.

Offline watsisname

So I'm playing TerraFirmaCraft, version beta 2 pre 11, which has a new terrain generation system.  And IT. IS. GLORIOUS.

Yep, you're reading the altitude right.  Sea level is at y=145. :V
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

And this is where I have to object.  The first Fenris attempt was cut off pretty early on, so no, it wasn't much more than a shell.  Do you honestly think that, had Creative mode not been made available to Survival servers, the shell would have been the extent of the project?  Doubtful.  As I recall, plans were already being formed for the interior sections of the ship.  I'll grant that the Fenris as a whole is being finished much more quickly, since Creative mode became available to the server, but you're showing some fanboyism of your own by dismissing the project as impossible in Survival.

Let me throw in another article of consideration, while I'm posting:

How many people are actively contributing time/resources to the construction of the Fenris, now that it is primarily a Creative mode project?  How many people were actively contributing time/resources to the construction of the Fenris, when it was a Survival mode project?  The Survival mode Fenris was very much a community project, in which nearly everyone on the server was actively involved.  Unless things have changed significantly, since the last time I logged on, the Fenris has been the baby of two or three people.  One project is too small a data set to say that Creative mode can kill community projects, but it seems pretty likely that Survival mode can facilitate participation in community projects.

Indeed, it was much more of a community project because it had to be; we would never have been able to gather the resources on our own. Once creative was thrown in the mix, we simply had no need for any resource contributions anymore.

As for the building process, yes, it has been primarily Kyad and myself, but that hasn't been exclusive by any means. Hades did the external hull detailing, Polpolion just made the radar deck, and if more people were around, I'd put them to work too. :p Us having creative mode has made people take the attitude of, "Well they're set for resources, so I can't be of any help", when that's far from the truth. Lately I've been pushing to get Fenris done by June 4th (1 year from the project start), and the server's been mighty lonely most times (cue Team America Kim Jong Il song). I'd love to be able to bounce ideas off people, put them to work building this section or that section... they're just not around when I am. :(
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Oh yes, one more thing: If you want to see how bored I got building Fenris by myself, check out the southern 20km of the dynmap; I found the next continent and began mapping out the shores thereof. :nervous:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hey, if you ever want me to lend a hand, just say the word.  I kind of suck at coming up with my own decent-scale projects anyway, so I wouldn't mind working on someone else's baby.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
As a side note. Yes. My standards are very high. Take a look at the survival Fenris vs the creative one. I can say, as a fact, that survival mode can not make anything amazing in comparison to creative.

And this is where I have to object.

The fenris isnt the best example I have, although the "floor plans" were nothing close to what the current fenris has. They would have been 2x3 plain stone hallways. The floors would have been exactly 3 tall everywhere, with no room for any material but the stone its made of. It would, to put it kindly, suck.

Now we have nice hallways large enough to do things.

We have room for redstone, or other "behind the scenes" stuff.

We were able to carve out the pit in under 6 months, and can work without danger of falling to our deaths.

We can use materials we literaly could not have gotten otherwise (such as bedrock) for detailing.

We arent restricted to the 3-high floorplan concept that limited the first fenris.

Please. If you think you can even do "as well" in survival mode, show it. Because this isn't the best I have.

Now on the topic of survival bringing more people together... If you can't work well with someone on a large project, it doesn't matter what game mode you're in, you aren't going to want to work with them. It's that simple. I can work with Sandwich well, and can/would trust him to work on a project of mine, such as the deimos, without screwing anything up. There are few others I can say the same about. Survival mode isn't going to change that. In the case of the fenris, most of the team was donators. Very few people actually built anything. So in essence... It's always been the baby of those few people.

Not to say that survival isn't fun. I play on 3 servers right now, Qaz's, for the fenris (creative), a survival PvP Factions server, and another creative server that I'm making the deimos and stuff on due to additional tools I have there. On that server, even just creative mode wouldn't cut it for the project. I'm one of the top players on the survival server, have a nice base that I can get stuff done in. That is where the challenge belongs, not on a server of creation (hint, this is qaz's).

No you wouldn't. I've seen too many people spend weeks on something big and all the sudden not wish for working creepers. You'
re just another player who's only tasted one cake and proclaims it, and the logics by it, to be the best. I think I shall call you a "vanilla survival fanboy". What with you not even trying the alternative and all.

Um, hello? Are you me? Am I talking to myself? What I'm not, no I didn't think so. So if you're not me what gives you the idea that you have a ****ing clue what I would do?

And yes, you can call me "vanilla survival fanboy", as I go and start up my yogbox. Presumptious moron.