Author Topic: Top three most wanted effects  (Read 9184 times)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Top three most wanted effects
I think the top three effects that people want implemented for after 3.6 are
- Environmental mapping stuff (already their, just needs to be implemented)
- Overexposure (this looked absulutely awesome)
- 3d cockpits (adds a feel of realism and depth)

If other people have different priorities feel free to post them.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
self-shadowing models
pixel/vertex shaders
Environment Mapping
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Before new big features (and new bugs) are introduced, I'd like a small fix for the non-standard resolutions, namely for 1280x1024.
I know that correcting the whole interface would be tedious, but I only want the lead indicator and the missile lock-on triangle to work properly, these are the only significant bugs in higher resolutions.
And since they still work, but are only a bit out of place ( I think they are calculated for 1024x768, but drawn in 1280x1024), it might be corrected by replacing some "1024"s with "1280"s ? :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 10:11:52 am by 1445 »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

a decrease in most wanted threads?
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name."
-Lao-Tzu

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Some of the new SEXP's requested and that thing to tie team loadout and persistant variables together that I keep asking for. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Helps inspire people with ideas and what have you I guess...

As for me, I have to go with PhReak and add one other of my own - volumetric fogging (IE - nebuli you can enter/exit as as you could a cloud of smoke).

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by PhReAk
self-shadowing models

You're dreaming, even the latest games like doom3 won't do that.
SCREW CANON!

Offline JarC

cool it with the GFX please, let's concentrate on playability and functionality for a change...like...in order of wanting it the most

-Personalized textures (like I am flying a Herc Mk II and the game would look for _fighter2T-03*.* textures, read the thread for more details)
-in-game on/off toggles for various HUD elements.
-landing on surfaces,
-take-off/returning to mothership/hangar,
-In-Mission jumpdrive that doesn't end the mission
-atmospherical flight/fight (skyboxes are nice immitation but it ain't the 'real deal'), with which I mean, if ship enters the atmosphere of a planet at too high speed, view goes glowing reddish from heat, speed slowdown from drag, in short, flying should 'feel' different inside a planet's atmosphere. Codewise this would only need a 'correction factor' be applied to the flight model when the 'in-atmosphere' flag would be true, making the stearing-controls react/act just a little bit different.
-In-Game resolution switching (from options screen)
-In-Game gamma-control
-In-Game selecting of different HUD forms (the Top,Right and Left-Arc ani's)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 10:43:08 am by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
lets see. in addition to environment mapping which is already on its way:

-overexposure effect
-sharper looking textures (what Lightspeed is doing, unless someone feels like re-doing them from scratch)
-whatever sort of new and cool lighting you can get in there.
-new impact effects (like on the Lightning Marshall pic in the highlights)
-more of Lightspeed-quality nebulas.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by JarC
cool it with the GFX please, let's concentrate on playability and functionality for a change...like...

landing on surfaces,
take-off/returning to mothership/hangar,  
Done. You can do both already.

atmospherical flight/fight (skyboxes are nice immitation but it ain't the 'real deal'), with which I mean, if ship enters the atmosphere of a planet at too high speed, view goes glowing reddish from heat, speed slowdown from drag, in short, flying should 'feel' different inside a planet's atmosphere,
In-Game resolution switching (from options screen)
Pain in the neck to implement from what I've heard and considering how easy it is to do it using the launcher I hardly see the point.

In-Game selecting of different HUD forms (the Top,Right and Left-Arc ani's)
Not a bad idea if you're talking about the campaign designer being able to do it. Otherwise it could completely screw up 3D cockpits.

In-Game gamma-control Press F2. Play about with the brightness controll. See! :D

In-Mission jumpdrive that doesn't end the mission Kazan's already working on this IIRC

Personalized textures (like I am flying a Herc Mk II and the game would look for _fighter2T-03*.* textures, read the thread for more details) Sounds good

separate on/off toggles for various HUD elements. Can't you already do this?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Self shadowing is a waste of time, in my opinion. My three big graphical 'wants' are The ORB, 2d/3d cockpit support (with a change to the HUD code to allow HUD panels to be placed with pixel-level precision) and on-demand overexposure (ie, you can have windows on a hull overexposed and nothing else).

In the realm of non-graphical improvements, I'd like to see a revamp of the physics system (I can dream. I want a rules-based pluggable physics system), a full on scripting layer (which would replace, and implement as a subset of its functionality, all SEXPs and have access to all systems and objects inside the engine), user modifiable subsystems, and hot-pluggable mods.

I don't ask for much, honest. ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 12:41:42 pm by 440 »
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
you forgot The Örb™
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Mewgen1

I think it would be nice if the OpenGL support would be completed.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by PhReAk
you forgot The Örb™

I'd be willing to wait on the orb, if it meant I could have my non-graphical wishlist fulfilled. :D
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Well, big features wise, I'm mainly interested in

Improving the HUD - allowing us to shift/resize hud elements, and add simple, sexp controlled guages (eg. distance from, timers etc., or more of those messages (collision, Engine wash etc.). Also, huds definable on a per species or even per ship basis - this would be especially important if we added cockpits, but I'm not in favour of that just yet, so, well, it's a compromise :)

Tertiary Weapons - opens up so much more potential for mission designers and standard gaming, as well as adding another degree of customization to your fighter, something FS2 lacks in many respects - beyond changing the loadout and fiddling with your energy you're very much locked in to your fighters specs. Tertiary weapons would be the first step towards fixing this.

As for three, well the blooming looked nice, but I'd much rather more gameplay and mission design related stuff was implemented than fancy new graphics to be honest.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
1 : More subsytem controls, definable sounds, definable shockwave explosions etc.
2 : an option to set energy cannons with a charge time :)
3 : Turret damage sensitive AI on capships, so the ship brings it's most powerful turrets to bear on it's most powerful opponent?

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
Damage to craft affecting craft maneuverability beyond failing subsystems.
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by JarC
speed slowdown from drag

mmh, the fighters are already too slow for my tastes, so I'd hate that :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Oh yeah, I forgot to add atmospheric flight capabilities to my list (as in an actual flight model and gravity, none of this hovering in mid air with engines off stuff) And if possible, atmospheric entry. AKA maybe have a short cutscene play as the cpu loads the atmospheric environment (like a ship crashing trough the planets atmosphere)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
3D (and animated) cockpits.

Self-shadowing models (LOMAC, Doom3, Homeworld 2, and Half Life 2 all do it, Venom ;))

Blooming effect for bright lights.