Author Topic: High Poly GTD Orion  (Read 118887 times)

Offline Luis Dias

oh dahblount I feel for you I really do.

Best of Luck!

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Thanks all. The color scheme isn't set in stone, I have a back up of the base metal texture without the multiplied color and I may even use several different metal textures through out the ship to give it a bit more variance.

At this point in the game I've got almost half of the main hull marked using Blenders Mark Seam tool. Hopefully I'll get some decent looking UV islands out of it.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
no, the original texture is kind of a washed out purple/blue sort of color, it's the mvp texture that brightens all of the orion textures up by 200% and makes that texture into light blue

p.s. dahblout poor basterd

Ah yeah, that's what I meant. But the Orion textures I remember being just a tinge more blue-y - sort of like the Arcadia, rather than this washed-out purple.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
It may look purple to some, but I guarantee you that it is a shade of blue shifted towards gray. I believe the rough RGB value I used was around 100,115,160 but if needed I can adjust it a bit to look more blue or even gray.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Kolgena

http://fsport.hard-light.net/extras/galatea.jpg

This seems to be a pretty decent reference if people want to compare colors on the same screen/color calibration (just keep in mind there's some sort of specular highlight or weird bloom on the bright parts of the ship. The diffuse map is easily much darker). The color you picked looks good to me.

I think it needs more colour than it has, and it needs some kind of change to the detailing to make it look more like metal than concrete.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Is this good?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Looking great there! It still needs to look a bit more metallic, but it's good.

That looks too corroded, really. If you're going to add plating lines etc. over the top of this, the first texture would actually be fine (or you could reduce the density of the mottling on this one and add more of a 'brushed' look).
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
I was indeed going to add plating to the texture and then give it some more light/dark and blue/gray variance on different plates.

If the first texture is fine then great. Just remember that both textures are essentially metal textures with colors overlayed.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

This is beautifull.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Perhaps this is better coloring?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I think the first one looks best... it could maybe have the saturation bumped up by a percentage point or two, but nothing drastic. If you were feeling particularly adventurous, maybe hand on to the third texture, and apply it on a separate layer at the end of the texturing process - that way you could have a nice, clean FS1 (and Frontlines ;)) Orion, and an older, more corroded FS2 Orion.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
and an older, more corroded FS2 Orion.

GTD Minnow hulk from AoA anyone? ;7

I can work with that, in fact we could definitely use some texture variation around here.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The Minnow/Legion hulk would be nice, too. :) An Orion with a great big hole in the hull used to pop up once in a while. Transcend also featured one. It could be nice to have a holed version of the model, or at least rusty/wrecked textures.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Well Blender does have a Boolean modifier, perhaps I could make a version of the model with a hole through and craft an extra texture set for that.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Well Blender does have a Boolean modifier, perhaps I could make a version of the model with a hole through and craft an extra texture set for that.
Don't trust Boolean. This modifier is... It's just a b***h at all o___O.

As for the texture, I prefer more rusty version. And my personal appeal for You, if You really want to texture this: Keep original hull plating lines or similar pattern to original textures. Nothing ruins feel of the ship like changing plating lines.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Considering I've modeled in several bits from the texture all over the model, I don't think that'll be a problem.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Don't trust Boolean. This modifier is... It's just a b***h at all o___O.

As for the texture, I prefer more rusty version. And my personal appeal for You, if You really want to texture this: Keep original hull plating lines or similar pattern to original textures. Nothing ruins feel of the ship like changing plating lines.

I've never had a problem with the Boolean modifier. I can see where you're coming from though.

And as Hades stated, most of the texture detail is modeled in now, so now worries on that front. If there are any lines missing from the original texture(doesn't appear to be the case) I will try and work them in.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:11:12 pm by DahBlount »

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Boolean is a tool, and like any other tool, it's no more inherently good or bad than the way it's used. If you want to use it to, say, put a cylindrical hole through an Orion mesh, it's really good at that, so long as you clean up you're geometry afterwards. It gets its bad reputation because people forget to clean up their geometry, and end up with convex polies and zero width faces and things like that, that make FS2 go nuts.

I find the best thing to do with Boolean is to use it to generate verts in the correct places, and then manually connect the new vets to the old ones in a sensible, efficient manner.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp