Author Topic: [WIP] GTNS Heimdall  (Read 2885 times)

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
So, here's my concept for the modelling contest.
The GTNS designation stands for Galactic Terran Node Supressor. A post-Capella era necesity, the Heimdall is a totally automated ship. It carries an array of tactical second generation Meson bombs linked into a specially designed subspace drive in order to completely destabilize intersystem subspace nodes.

*** p3d lost ***

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I know it's not vasudan, I wanted to do something different for a change...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:03:55 am by The Dagger »

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
that's like the weirdest freespace ship i've ever heard of
neat
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I like the idea and look of the ship, yet I can't help but think that having all the bombs showing like that would be a bad idea once it comes under fire, do you plan to add some armor plaques or something to cover up the bombs a bit?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Maybe looks a bit TOO much like a Hecate, but definitely a nice idea.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
I might want to use this as a cryo sleeper ship. It is exactly the look i was going for

I think one thing you might want to ask is what are those armour baffles protecting? And perhaps more importantly how much of the meson bomb needs to be visible in order for the device to function? and/or where is the device proper? (can it be disabled in-mission?)

Is this an interdictor? Or is it a ship designed to explode in a node?

Assuming that it's a purpose built mobile bomb. I would drop the two armour baffles and instead replace it with a armour across the meson bombs themselves, maybe with the bottom/top open for visual flaire. I would also probably change the bow section. Making it smaller in some respect.

As a ship for example, this needs a drive section, the bombs themselves and some AI to run it. It would not therefore need a large bow which would normally house personnel. But maybe for example it has a bow with some defensive armament that sort of thing. Maybe the bow is mainly there to protect the vital bombs themselves.

Anyway. What I'm saying is that the form should fit the function. So if you're making an automated ship to destroy or supress nodes, then it should look as such. I think what you have now is good, but could maybe use some refinement?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I think the head is probably the biggest offender- the shape looks odd. I love the spar, though the spars could use some changes with the piping (it looks a bit too random and thus noisy), and the rear is obviously a huge WiP so I should hold criticism on it.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yeah, you probably want some destructible subsystem playing over those bombs. Looks way too ridiculously exposed like this.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
OK, my idea was to have a ship to look like a bare-bones ship with little armor to go into a node and explode, a more refined version of the "let's fill an Orion with lots of experimental warheads and cut the node" strategy of FS2.

This is meant to have two subspace drives: a navigational one to get to the node, and an initiator that would get it into it and participate into the detonation process. Being a shock-jump ship with little to no necessity to engage the enemy I thought that having lots of armor wouldn't be deemed cost-effective.

In the future I'd like to make some tanker or container variables by changing the middle section that would suggest that this is only a modification of an existing commercial freighter adapted for military use.

The shape of the head is something of a mix between a Hecate and a Deimos, but thinner as it is only needed to accommodate for navigation and sensor subsystems and probably some defensive turrets.

Offline Luis Dias

The ears are the worst offenders here, IMHO, and the overwhelming similarity with the Hecate at first glance doesn't help. The ears just seem absolutely useless, as Alakabeth pointed out. I also agree with the suggestion of creating a series of platings protecting the Meson Bombs. You can make them with some openings so that someone can "visually guess" what is there inside. I imagine a series of these plates like thin faceted rings illuminated by the insides of it.

The idea that it doesn't need armor is flawed, IMO. If it is to be used as node-busting, then surely the assumption is that the other side of the node is already compromised and filled with shivans. To use this ship without any armor is extremely risky and fragile. It won't survive any random sortie by shivan bombers / fighters trying to suppress any resistance to the node invasion (see Flaming Sword, etc.).

However, regarding the concept, I think it's a really cool, obvious and useful idea for a "TEI" post-capella ship. Node busting is surely the only possibility of survival against the shivans in the medium term, and I also like the idea of it being automated. Perhaps adding a "robot AI" .avi  (.gif?) to go with it so that it may be used when "it" talks to us in-game would be an awesome bonus. However, it can also be used as a ramming ship against a Sathanas, etc. (ala Derelict)

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
what are you people talking about? the shape is awesome!
very post-great-war-terranish
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The head looks just like the Deimos, it's not that bad.

How about a mobile meson bomb deployer ship? Like a sub launching nukes.
I'm thinking: making that full array of meson bombs in the middle and the head a submodel with the possibility of it "sliding" from the main body (if that's even possible).
This way the meson bombs would be protected by the hull of the ship and only exposed when the area is clear for deployment.

The ship gets in, positions itself next to the node and releases some of the bombs (probably guided).
Retracts the array and leaves.

This ship would also be compatible with a meson bomb attack against huge targets like the sathanas or a fleet, provided the meson bombs get a chance to approach their target.

Just some random thoughts, but I do like your idea as well. It clearly depicts a desperate measure by the GTVA and would probably be a fantastic ship for those moments when the alliance is between the sword and the wall.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Lorric

Something that occurs to me, you can shoot the bombs... but if you do, you're gonna die...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Shivans don't care about that.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras