Author Topic: GTCv Deimos  (Read 87535 times)

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
The main hull is now completely masked, I'm moving onto to the turrets, rebaking AO, then it's off to QS.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

looking forward to seeing the final version of this beauty!

And I can't wait see the normal map. The results one can achieve with QS 2.0 can be astonishing :)

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Imported into QS and smart materials made. Now it's time for detail work.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:12:37 pm by DahBlount »

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Outstanding :yes:

How are you going to make diffuse for this? As far as I know, there is no diffuse option in current quixel release. Hornet mentioned that it was present in previous version. Normal, pbr-maps etc. first, and diffuse later?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
The PBR equivalent of diffuse is Albedo. If you change the export target to specular non-pbr, it will export only the albedo, specular, and normal, with slight calibration changes to make the materials work in non-pbr setups.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
All of my want. :yes:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
No you are wrong, it's not time to for detail work.

It's time to faint. For me at least.  :cool:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Axem

As much as I do really like it (1000% yes), I'm finding the paint scheme a little busy. I get the reason to highlight the geometry, but maybe some of the areas of high contrast could be toned down a little bit?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I dunno, it does look busy but once its been panel lined, had a coat of dark tone wash and a bit of weathering I think it will appear more homogeneous.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Axem

Yeah, I was thinking the problem might fix itself as the texturing process goes on. (In which case just ignore me...!  :warp: )

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
I'm gonna be using the paneling to generate weathering as well as offcoloring some of the plates of armor themselves. The normal Deimos won't have a lot of weathering because they're fairly new at the time of FS2(citation needed?) but have certainly seen some action. I will also make a heavily weathered variant for mods that take place further along the timeline (Inferno, BP, etc.) Hades has specified I leave out glows from the beam weapons but if there is a demand for it I will also include glowmaps where the beams have glows.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Axem

There's nothing that says when exactly Deimos corvettes were introduced just that "[t]hese sleek, ultra-modern warships are the products of a new era of ship design". I mean you can take ultra-modern from anywhere from "straight out of the shipyard" to "most advanced currently". And 18 months of beam warfare are going to certainly create a good amount of weathering...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The Oxford dictionary has ultra modern as "extremely modern; advanced".

That being said, I'm not opposed to a weathered version being made for post-FS2 campaigns or for FS2 for those that want to use it, even if it's not my taste.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It needs some weathering and space miles on it so it won't look like a toy. Right now all the panel lines grab my eye and fire it around about 15 places and then off away from the model. It's like a flowchart for how not to look at itself.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It is Gallente.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
It needs some weathering and space miles on it so it won't look like a toy. Right now all the panel lines grab my eye and fire it around about 15 places and then off away from the model. It's like a flowchart for how not to look at itself.
Shivans will not know where to aim!

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Luis Dias

The criticisms are absolutely OTT, imho. At the most, all of those concerns are easily solved by a slight toning down with the saturation with the base colors of each plate. The weathering will do the rest, nevermind the lighting of the windows, etc.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
That's not why it looks like a toy, it looks like a toy because it looks painted. Weathering and space miles on it at this stage would just make it look like a used diecast toy. It needs paneling, it needs more than a base coating to make it look less toy-like.

I also think it might help to solidify colors somewhat, we may have gone overboard on it.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL