Author Topic: Cain strikes back - WIP  (Read 105683 times)

Offline brugger

Re: Cain strikes back - WIP
When you view the old model in profile the lower arms portude at a very slight downward angle then there is a slight bend back up. The arms end at about the same elevation as they begin. This version the arms look to go straight out. Not something I'd lose sleep about because this model is looking great.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
sorry if this has already been asked but is this cain model based on the Concept art?
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I <3 that texture. And for any dolts out there who want to claim that it doesn't look Shivan... Shivan ships have girders and pipes and stuff just like Terran ships do.
Hey guess what, only the Demon has anything that even resembles girders. You're using a plural when it doesn't belong.

Heck, even Vasudan ships have 'em.
Hey guess what, none of the Vasudan ships have anything that resemble girders on the textures.

And, I don't like this at all. I hope the MVPs don't use it, as, beyond the shape, it looks nothing like the retail Cain. Yes, I would use the retail model over this any day.

(that said, hades, if you really don't like it there is nothing stopping you from customizing your MediaVP installation, like what I've done to the beam glows. Just drop the retail .pof into your Mediavp's data/models folder)
Yeah, I know.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:18:28 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hades - While I agree that the girders aren't very Shivan, that was uncalled for, overly aggressive and not very constructive.

I'm Snail and I do not approve of that message. :nervous:

(that said, hades, if you really don't like it there is nothing stopping you from customizing your MediaVP installation, like what I've done to the beam glows. Just drop the retail .pof into your Mediavp's data/models folder)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils

And, I don't like this at all. I hope the MVPs don't use it, as, beyond the shape, it looks nothing like the retail Cain. Yes, I would use the retail model of this any day.

Then do it yourself. :rolleyes:
I'd rather see this on VPs than watch a third attempt at an HTL model fade away. The fact there's even ships that haven't been upgraded after how many years since HTL ships started showing up in the first place baffles me.
It's not like it's going to use that extra turret that was mentioned, so its loadout isn't breaking Canon, which people like you seem to be so anal about, and it's about the appearance of the ship... :doubt:
It's not like it has four arms, and like someone said before, the Deimos should be taken out then just because two turrets were moved back. Oh and it has pipes on the engine when the Retail model didn't have pipes, that must be too radical of a change as well.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It's not like it's going to use that extra turret that was mentioned, so its loadout isn't breaking Canon, which people like you seem to be so anal about
Hey guess what, it's because it may break retail's missions.
The fact there's even ships that haven't been upgraded after how many years since HTL ships started showing up in the first place baffles me.
Hey guess what, making a model isn't exactly the easiest thing to do.
the Deimos should be taken out then just because two turrets were moved back.
Hey guess what, the Deimos's two turrets were only moved back ~20 metres, where as on the Cain it would be ~100 metres.
Oh and it has pipes on the engine when the Retail model didn't have pipes, that must be too radical of a change as well.
Hey guess what, it actually didn't deviate too far from canon as the Cain does.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:07:45 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
the Deimos should be taken out then just because two turrets were moved back.
Hey guess what, the Deimos's two turrets were only moved back ~20 metres, where as on the Cain it would be ~100 metres.

Hey guess what, ~100 meters would be HALF THE DAMN SHIP. I don't think it's going to be moving that far.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Give it a rest, you two. You can take this debate to another thread.

If this Cain is completed it will go in the MVPs. End of story.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:14:27 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
I think if you can change the rotation of those front two lower arms just a little so they don't look like a Terran creation (i.e. right angles, square, etc.) then you should be almost done, aside from greeble, textures, etc. Good work :) .
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
Arms... arms... they are separate sub objects and just like spikes aren't in exact position.

And for how it should look, id prefer some more creative work not just rising up poly count only for extrude places where texture mark it. Sometimes this creativity goes in wrong way (like Hecate model which personally I don't like) sometimes in good (Orion, Hatshepsut).

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Orion is horrible. No offense to Bobbaou, but it makes no frikken sense.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I prefer to use TrashMan's Orion for a couple reasons.
Either way, keep it up c914, I'm dying to see the end results.

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
Some part of textured arm... suggestions?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
It looks more appropriate for the Demon, but it still looks good.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Shazam, that's nice.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
beautiful, one suggestion and that would be to use a red hint in the gaps between the girders
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Snail

• SC 5
beautiful, one suggestion and that would be to use a red hint in the gaps between the girders
That'll be done with the glowmaps.

c914 - I used to dislike it, but now I'm really warming to this thing. It's looking really great. Can't wait to see what you do with the Lilith.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I wish I could texture that well! Keep it up!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I really like the stylistic connection to the Demon. :)