Poll

Should We Have a Home for Homeworld at HLP?

Yes.
35 (72.9%)
No.
7 (14.6%)
Apathetic.
6 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: June 04, 2002, 07:52:45 am

Author Topic: A Home for Homeworld on HLP  (Read 5838 times)

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
A Home for Homeworld on HLP
Originally posted by Unkown Target
Bring HW to HLP!

BTW, this may just be me, but I'm getting a little pissed at the current trend in developers' strategy when they make games. MODing used to be a sort of underground thing, reserved for the gaming extremests and die-hard fans, where you could go there and talk to others just as knowledgable as you are about computers, and not have everyone raise a stink about some less-than-satisfactory work. Now, with the current trend, [sarcasm]I just can't wait until all the "cool" guys, all the popular, party-going, music-mastering, I-don't-know-anything-about-PC's-except-that-it's-cool-to-MOD-and-make-music, guys. No offense to any of those ppl. who might be residing here now.;)
What I mean is, it sort of takes the fun and magic out of MODing games when it becomes mainstream.
Anyone else feel like this?

Actually I have exactly the opposite view, too many people with genuinely great ideas have been put off by the sheer difficulty of modding on occasion.

I remember building models for xwing vs. tie fighter, it was often so difficult to use the only program available (ACE_DXF) that I gave up. I built two models for it before getting miffed at the fact that it just wasn't worth the time and effort.
Making missions for it was a different story, the mission builder was great, I made a bunch of missions that played well and were pretty straightforward to set up. I had a lot of fun doing that and I stuck at it :nod:

As soon as anything gets some 'cred' value it becomes the target of hype, it's always happened and it always will.

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Yeah but dont forget, we can mod better than them :D.
Got Ether?

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Zeronet
Yeah but dont forget, we can mod better than them :D.

:lol: Well that goes without saying. :wink:

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Bring HW to HLP!

BTW, this may just be me, but I'm getting a little pissed at the current trend in developers' strategy when they make games. MODing used to be a sort of underground thing, reserved for the gaming extremests and die-hard fans, where you could go there and talk to others just as knowledgable as you are about computers, and not have everyone raise a stink about some less-than-satisfactory work. Now, with the current trend, [sarcasm]I just can't wait until all the "cool" guys, all the popular, party-going, music-mastering, I-don't-know-anything-about-PC's-except-that-it's-cool-to-MOD-and-make-music, guys. No offense to any of those ppl. who might be residing here now.;)
What I mean is, it sort of takes the fun and magic out of MODing games when it becomes mainstream.
Anyone else feel like this?

I'm exactly the opposite. Modding keeps the game going even when its 4 years old...
Half Life, Freespace, Homeworld.. just a few examples....

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Originally posted by Stryke 9
I agree- and I have serious doubts that Gamespy'd raise a stink, anyway. If they did, well, we either take down the HW part or we move on to someplace else. We can decide then, hey?
They already did when we wanted to bring in Red Faction.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
No, no, you've got all worng!
MODing=goooooooooooddd, it's just that I think that it's becoming too mainstream for my tastes.
Basically, it's going to become like MP3's: at one point they were reserved only for the geeks and PC-phans (not geeks, simply guys who had a life, just really liked the computer;)), and terms like bitrate, codec, peer to peer, etc, were really only kown by an elite few. Now everybody, including the computer-illiterate, brain dead, b33r-swindling jocks know about them (no offense to anyone who takes this the wrong way, or thinks I'm insulting there great-granduncle, Flash Jon;))
Now, terms like object, reversed faces, extrapolate, LODs, etc, are going to be not only the property of the people who fought to learn them, and learn to edit games the hard way, but also the dumb-as-a-nail jocks who got pampered to.
My 2 cents...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Thorn

I'm exactly the opposite. Modding keeps the game going even when its 4 years old...
Half Life, Freespace, Homeworld.. just a few examples....

Exactly...regardless, properly modding a game is never going to be easy... i have Max Payne, which includes a fair amount of tools and documents for modding, and I've never really been able (or, to be honest, particularly eager) ot make anything worthwhile.

But good front-end mod support is what keeps a game alive... as well as the aforementioned, theres Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, etc.......

Of course, depends whether Gamespy wants a dedicated Homeworld site - especially as the sequel is looking set to be a very big game.

At the moment, HLP is (sadly) a bit of a niche site - it only caters to a 3 year old (albeit classic) game, IWar2 - which wasn't massively sucessful AFAIK (and there's very little activity on the forums here,anyway) - and the unreleased Freelancer.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Well, UT and Q3 weren't very good for the non-modder either.
Sure, they had a huge ability to be modded, but it was the almost the same story as FS-the end users, the elitests, had to program their own...erm....programs in order to MOD the game-they weren't catered to, they weren't given a get-out-of-jail-free card, they had to work to get what they wanted, which makes what they did so much more infinetely amazing and enjoyable to play.
Wheras now, all you have to do is make your ship, press button A, and, boom, it's in the game. It's the Windows ME of the MODing world.
Basically, I hate it when things become mainstream-anized, becuase it eventually becomes simply a ploy to get money, and not a labor-of-love by people who like to do the work. What a bigger example? Try the Spider man movie and the spider-man web-blaster toy that shoots either silly string or water that you see on TV.

EDIT: And another thing (boy, you're just getting bored of me, aren't you:D), games that can't be modded, shouldn't be modded. Sure there are a couple exceptions, but the general rule is that the community doesn't love it enough to spend the time and effort to program a MODing tool for it, then it doesn't deserve to be MODed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2002, 04:52:49 pm by 368 »

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Niched is not a word for it - we're the one comic at the back of the comic store under the re-releases of Spiderman with the dusty cover and the special limited edition seriel number!

As for GS and Homeworld - it might be prudent to see what happens after HW2 is released before choosing whether HLP covers it or not. It would be nice to cover it but sometimes that's not enough and I think this is one of those times.

See how it goes.. see how it goes....

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Actually.. HW2 might just be the kick HWU needs to get going again...

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
HWU could use anything

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Thunder
Niched is not a word for it - we're the one comic at the back of the comic store under the re-releases of Spiderman with the dusty cover and the special limited edition seriel number!

Yeah, but we're a collectors item! :nod:

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Yea, but we don't have a lot of issues:

HLP-The Begginning of a dream.

No.2: HLP forums

No.3: HLP Art forums

No.4:General Freespace

etc, etc,etc

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Spiderman seems prety l33t ! to me. Still need to see it:)
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Spider-man the movie=:no:

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Spider-man the movie=:no:

If that =:no:

than Star Wars II = :headz: :snipe: :no: :no: :no:

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
:nod:

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I think that's enough information to think about for the time being...