Put it in but bleep it out
6 (8.6%)
Use milder words and let the whole thing sound a bit wussy
17 (24.3%)
*insert eukelele solo here*
6 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: November 05, 2002, 06:16:07 pm

Author Topic: Can o' worms openage - rude words in FS2  (Read 17972 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Can o' worms openage - rude words in FS2
The problem with all the common profane words is that they are used so often and in so many different ways that they can literally mean just about anything (has anyone seen that fword.wav file on the internet? :D) and thus have lost their intensity for any one of those meanings. This is why it looks stupid and embarassing when you play one of those missions that are riddled with four-letters words in every sentence; it just shows that the designer can't write. However, there is nothing to be "offended" at either.

UT? Mebbe I'm mistaken, but as far as I can remember the strongest word it uses is '*****' (or 'beeeyatch', if you prefer)

lol try playing a game or two online there; on some servers, everyone is hurling heavy curses at each other every five seconds for no reason at all. :D

Offline diamondgeezer

Ah yes, I get you... we've got four machines on a LAN in our gaff, and when the mulitplayer gets going the language gets both loud and nasty. 'Specially UT :)

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline diamondgeezer

Well, derailment aside, I'm hearing good arguments from each camp. But, the vote is telling me that cussing is A-1 Supar - those not in favour better start comming up with some even better reasoning :)

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Listen *****, don't you start your ****ing swearing **** it my favorite ****-hot game, y'hear? ****....
:ha:  :ha:

My point being, anyone can swear - but if you have the brainpower you don't need to, to get your point across. I'm assuming by the 23rd century literacy standards will have increased a bit :p
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Personally, I wouldn't wanna hear anything that really wasn't said in the original game.

On a side note, these are funny as hell, if you haven't heard them

Quit laughing

Had your fun?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2002, 12:54:47 pm by 338 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No, the cussing vote is currently only ~44%.  A majority of those who voted are not in favor of swearing; they just split their vote among different options.

What is the significance of the ukelele option?

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by Goober5000
No, the cussing vote is currently only ~44%.  A majority of those who voted are not in favor of swearing; they just split their vote among different options.

You're absolutley right. I'm just really bad with numbers :D

What is the significance of the ukelele option?

It's a Genuine Aloha Ukelele(tm). And I'm playing a short solo on it :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay...but how does that relate to cussing?

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
You ever heard one being played?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeah...why, do you think they sound bad?

Offline diamondgeezer

Look, the last time I posted a poll I got shouted at for not giving a comedy fourth option, so don't you start on me, OK?

:D

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Blue Lion

Had your fun?

:lol: - I always thought he was asking "Is that your phone?"
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Learn something new everyday :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Look, the last time I posted a poll I got shouted at for not giving a comedy fourth option, so don't you start on me, OK?

:D

Eh, okay.  I thought it was a comedy option, but I also thought it might be related to something I didn't recognize.

Offline Anaz

...back on topic...

there are just some oh-**** moments that just aren't the same without a little profanity here and there...for example, when the first sath jumps in through the knossos portal I would have expected someone to say "OH ****!" as the warphole opened...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
It's all got to do with the situation I think. For example, in my NTV missions, the odd damn, hell, etc. escapes from the mouths of NTF pilots, as it suits to demonstrate their slightly less disciplined nature (not a lot, but slightly). I have steered clear of true profanities though, however, with the first deployment of the Collosus I think we might hear a **** or two. I have used crap before in mission, and I see no problem with that.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Black Wolf
...with the first deployment of the Collosus I think we might hear a **** or two.

LOL, that is hilarious without the quotation marks!  It makes it sound like...uh, the pilot has to - uh - change his shorts after seeing the Colossus for the first time. :lol: Come to think of it, if I saw an enemy ship the size of a small village coming after me, I might do the same thing. :nervous:

I have used crap before in mission, and I see no problem with that.

:lol: Maybe you don't, but the community won't let you get away with putting a bunch of crap together and calling it a mission! :lol:

Again, quotation marks are A-1 SUPAR! :D

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
you should go to bed man :nod:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline diamondgeezer

Well, those in favour of turning the air blue have 50% of the vote (and I counted it up properly this time :D)...

That said, looking back over the campaign, I may be able to get around ye big F-word, even though it'd pain me to do it. You're still getting the kind of swearing you might expect in, say, a 12 rated action film, though :nod:

Actually, something's just occoured to me - Teminator 2, uber-film of all time, and 18 rated. Did that have the Deplorable Word in it? Cannae quite remember...

[EDIT] Thanks to an0n, the swearers are just edging ahead in the vote. w00+!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2002, 01:45:42 pm by 170 »