Put it in but bleep it out
6 (8.6%)
Use milder words and let the whole thing sound a bit wussy
17 (24.3%)
*insert eukelele solo here*
6 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: November 05, 2002, 06:16:07 pm

Author Topic: Can o' worms openage - rude words in FS2  (Read 17982 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Can o' worms openage - rude words in FS2
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
OK, for all you politely-spoken people out there - d/l this clip and tell me if it would have worked without the swearing (it's just shy of 5 megs, and it's on the FilePlanet old servers, so hopefully no queueing)

Wish you`d mentioned it was hudson's last stand. :) I didn't really need to downloaded it :)

Funny thing is that when ITV first showed Aliens they didn`t bleep out that scene or change the dialogue as they had with the rest of the movie (What the frig are we going to do now man!) They simply lowered the sound levels so that you couldn`t hear him swear over the gunfire.
 Unfortunately that makes it seem like Hudson was in a firefight and got grabbed. It's only when you hear him cursing that you realise that he's finally lost it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Got it working.  I think it would work okay without the swearing.  Keep the same level of intensity and almost the same sentences, but without the foul language.  Not every word in that scene is a swear word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Trust me. It doesn`t work without the swearing. Hudson's lost it. The swearing shows it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Agreed, the swearing really is necessary for that scene...nothing shows how much Hudson's lost it until he starts screaming an obscenity in every three words.

Thanks for the reminder. That was one of the classic death scenes in cinema history (Hudson's Last Stand).

The action plus Hudson's personality (pessimest, has issues, and about to die) really makes it a powerful and timeless scene.
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline diamondgeezer

Gonna have to swear in this one, sorry to those whom it may offend...
OK, these are still excellent arguments all round, keep it up.

Goober mate, exactly how would you have scripted that sequence? What, exactly, would you have had Hudson saying (or screaming)? Personally, I don't think it would have worked without the phrase 'mother ****er'. Correct me if I'm wrong, because in all honesty I'd like to know how to recreate that tension and action without the cussing.

Another example - in the uber-brilliant Event Horizon (scary no matter how many times I watch it), Cooper the funky spaceman gets blasted into space by an explosion. To get back to the ship, he blows his O2 tanks, and as he rockets towards the Event Horizon he shouts "here I come, mother ****ers!". Now, that was what I mean by comedy swearing, and the line gets a laugh every time we watch the film. Discuss.

Yet another example - The two Predator films. Very little swearing for a gun-blasting action film, but when Dutch/Harrigan see the Pred without its mask they say the only thing that's really appropriate to the situation - "you're one ugly mother ****er..." Again, discuss.

For those non-cursing types who think they can clever-dialogue their way around gratuitous swearing, try to give me your 'clean' versions of what the characters described above could have said instead. Bear in mind that if it sounds wussy I'll point at you and laugh, so be a bit careful with it :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2002, 08:35:55 pm by 170 »

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Semprini!
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Gonna have to swear in this one, sorry to those whom it may offend...
Goober mate, exactly how would you have scripted that sequence? What, exactly, would you have had Hudson saying (or screaming)? Personally, I don't think it would have worked without the phrase 'mother ****er'. Correct me if I'm wrong, because in all honesty I'd like to know how to recreate that tension and action without the cussing.

Well, I haven't seen any of the films mentioned, so I wouldn't know the exact mood.  And it was hard to make out some of the dialogue in the clip you posted.  But here's my cleaned version of your clip:

Die!  Die!

Attack! (? - hard to hear)

Die!

Come on, come get me!

Come on!

Come on, you too!

You want some of this?

Aaahhhhh!

Almost the same thing, just no swear words.  Scream and yell and holler to keep the same level of intensity.

Offline diamondgeezer

Re: Re: Gonna have to swear in this one, sorry to those whom it may offend...
Originally posted by ZylonBane
Semprini!

:wtf:

Originally posted by Goober5000
Well, I haven't seen any of the films mentioned...

:eek2: I'm... shocked. No, frankly I'm disgusted. You've never seen Aliens, Event Horizon of either Predator film? :shaking: I tell my mate Big Gay Mike about this and he's quite literally going to have a heart attack.

You, sir, have no taste in movies. To be honest, it's become hard for me to respect you arguments, knowing that you haven't seen (and I can only assume wouldn't like) what are basically four of my top ten movies (add Stargate, T2, Pitch Black, Dark City, Alien and 13th Warrior :D)

I have to be open here - you've upset me so much with your lack of quility film-watchage that I'm gonna make my project as foul mouthed as possible, in the hope the non-swearing crew will get offended and complain. OK, perhaps I take my film watching a little too seriously, but you're trying to debate with me over examples from films you haven't even seen. How can you tell me Aliens would be better (or would work at all) without swearing if you've never seen it - and exactly why have you never seen it? It's the officially best bloody action movie EVER, and most people here will tell you that. And there's just no excuse for having not seen Event Horizon... bloody hell, look, you're sent me off on a rant :rolleyes:

Right, here's the deal - you watch yourself a copies of Aliens (make sure you get Aliens, the titles are uber-similar), Event Horizon and one of the Predators (the first one, for preference. Or both :)), then you come back and we'll talk about how to make action sequences work.

Blimey...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
hey, I have not seen any of those either (seen something like four movies in my life) and I don't mind the cursing... :D

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Originally posted by CP5670
hey, I have not seen any of those either (seen something like four movies in my life) and I don't mind the cursing... :D

CP, if I hadn't seen any of those great movies (which, of course, I have) and never got interested in women and spent all my time working on math problems 24/7, then I wouldn't mind cursing that much either. *cough* woosie *cough* ;)

Fortunately, I have seen those movies, did get interested in women, and DON'T do math problems. All the same, I don't mind cursing that much either.

Come to think of it, not only do I not mind cursing, I engage in it quite frequently...:D

EDIT: Now you piqued my curiosity, CP. Just what movies have you seen? (And if you tell me you haven't seen Star Wars, I'm kicking you off the datDB staff, just on principle! J/K ;)
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Re: Re: Re: Gonna have to swear in this one, sorry to those whom it may offend...
You've never seen Aliens, Event Horizon of either Predator film?
Sorry to disabuse you, but Event Horizon sucked. It may have been technically excellent, but the plot was a generic mishmash of ideas and scenes from a half-dozen other, better movies. The fact that you think so highly of it only points to a very narrow exposure to the horror and sci-fi genres.

PS-- semprini
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Want an example of good swearage?  Billy Connoly.  'nuff said.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Re: Re: Gonna have to swear in this one, sorry to those whom it may offend...

You, sir, have no taste in movies. To be honest, it's become hard for me to respect you arguments, knowing that you haven't seen (and I can only assume wouldn't like) what are basically four of my top ten movies (add Stargate, T2, Pitch Black, Dark City, Alien and 13th Warrior :D)

Maybe you can help me here - what exactly were the baddies in that movie? Were they humans gone psycho, some kind of mist monsters or demons, or what? The movie itself was very cool, but I just never quite got that part of it :wtf:

(BTW, I've assumed we're talking about the same movie - the arab who goes off with the vikings and learns their language in about 60 (onscreen) seconds?)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline diamondgeezer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gonna have to swear in this one, sorry to those whom it may offend...
Originally posted by ZylonBane
Sorry to disabuse you, but Event Horizon sucked...

I have heard this before, but I've yet to be convinced of the validity of the argument. Tell me which movies I should have been watching instead and I'll make an effort to see them. Until such time as I do, I officially love Event Horizon, so bite me.

As for 13th Warrior - not entirely sure. The point was, as you yourself mentioned BW, that the movie was very cool.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Couple of random thoughts here:

1 - Personally, I take "less" offense at the use of SOB than I do the F word, although bastard works nicely. Substitue where possible, perhaps?

2 - One boring Saturday in the Army, I had nothing better tyo do than to watch movies. So which ones did end up watching? Event Horizon, and right after that, Sphere. Now, I recognize the good points in both movies, despite not being the kind of person who actually enjoys getting scared witless, but please - watching those 2 movies back-to-back was deja-vu - annoying deja-vu, at that! And it didn't help that they had the same actor - that guy from Jurassic Park - Neil something? Anyway, that pretty much ruined both of those movies for me.

3 - Seen Predator 1, have number 2 but haven't watched it yet - I heard it's not as good as 1. What's your take?

4 - Never seen any of the Alien movies. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Personnally, language doesn't offend me though I prefer not to see/hear it.  My problem is that I have young eyes/ears that love to watch dad play.

If it's just one or two mission(s), provide an 'R' and 'PG' version of the mission(s).

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Originally posted by aldo_14
Want an example of good swearage?  Billy Connoly.  'nuff said.

Billy Connolly, my God, he's a laugh riot!:lol:

But an even better example of good swearage would be George Carlin.

In any case, they're both great comedians.:nod:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've seen many movies, including Stargate, T1, and T2.  Just not Alien, Predator, or Event Horizon.

Howabout this...
Holy extraterrestrials, Batman!  Aliens are attacking me!

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by Sandwich
Couple of random thoughts here...

1. I am trying. Of course, swear words mean subtley (or completely) different things to different cultures, and sometimes there's just no substitute...

2. Yes, Sphere and EV are vaguely similar. However, Sphere just annoyed me when it turned out to all be in their imagination and then they just imagine the whole thing away. Boo! And... since when was Sam Neil in Sphere? Have you somehow managed to confuse Sam Neil and Samuel L. Jackson :wtf:?

3. Well... actually I saw Predator 2 first. I like 'em both. Probably the first one is better, but in the second one we get to see the Pred use all the cool kit you have in AvP2. That, and the Pred's trophy cabinet, which includes a certain skull which you prolly wouldn't recognise, on account of you not having seen a certain quartet of films. Speaking of which:

4. You suck! please don't ban me

Oh, and I'm not sure why Billy Connoly came up, but for the record I have lost all respect for him since he started doing those lottery commercials. Evidently he's prepared to take on a crap job if he's paid enough. Bleh... sell-out...

OK, so at the moment the swear-o-vision option is pulling ahead, but I'm favouring two versions, like R1 said. I figured I'd prolly end up doing that anyway, but if you don't research these things you'll never know...

[EDIT]
Holy extraterrestrials, Batman! Aliens are attacking me!

:wtf:

Er... nice try, but no. Just... no
« Last Edit: November 11, 2002, 11:52:04 am by 170 »