Put it in but bleep it out
6 (8.6%)
Use milder words and let the whole thing sound a bit wussy
17 (24.3%)
*insert eukelele solo here*
6 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: November 05, 2002, 06:16:07 pm

Author Topic: Can o' worms openage - rude words in FS2  (Read 17981 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Can o' worms openage - rude words in FS2
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Actually, something's just occoured to me - Teminator 2, uber-film of all time, and 18 rated. Did that have the Deplorable Word in it? Cannae quite remember...

T2 was rated 15. Strangely enough my DVD of T1 also has that rating although I`m sure I remember the video having an 18 rating.

With a 15 rating I doubt it did have much of that kind of language.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by karajorma
T2 was rated 15...

:wtf:

Really? Which country are you in?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2002, 05:59:43 am by 170 »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The real problem comes up when you are trying to decide what to make a Vasudan pilot say. The translators will not translate vasudan curses and slang, so something else must be used there. I have a mission where I need a vasudan guy to exclaim "what the ****" or something to that effect, but it must be rephrased. I was thinking about "what in the world," but that sounds weird for space-faring beings to say, although "what the..." might work.

Offline diamondgeezer

Try

What the *untranslatable*...

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Pffff. The FS pilots swore far too little considering they were being shot at by a race of wierd-ass aliens with superior offensive and defensive systems.

What the ****? My ML-16 is just bouncing right off it
ARGH! My ****ing shields!!!!!
Die, you pentapedal, sociopathic ****-stain!
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline diamondgeezer

Erm... yes... I was thinking of something a little more subtle than that... I mean, fair enough, the pilots'd be making with the colourful lingo, but given the number of people here who object to profanity for whatever reasons they have I thought perhaps I should make some effort to keep it rated 'Teen'...

Don't worry an0n, I'll do a special swear-tastic version, just for you and Shrike :nod:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Maybe you could leave all the swearing up to the Vasudans, and do it in a funny way, like CP5670 and diamondgeezer were saying.

:lol:

Imagine listening to a translation...you hear the Vasudan voice in the background blurting something very loudly and energetically, and the translator just mechanically says "Excrement." :lol:

The phrase is literally translated: S.O.B.
Vasudan: look out!  (Male offspring of a female Canine mammal)

wierd huh?

Swearing should never become a 'lost art' of expression. look at the feeble attempt of Kirk to blend in with the 20th centrury.

"Double dumb ass on you!" PLEASE! Give me a break.

Spock on the other hand logically did research and became fairly proficient in the "colorful Euphanisims"...

"One Damn minute admiral" , "The hell I wont!"

Good for you Spock, represent! :nod:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Don't worry an0n, I'll do a special swear-tastic version, just for you and Shrike

*ahem*

Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline diamondgeezer

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Really? Which country are you in?

UK same as you. :D I remember that I found it funny at the time, cause the kid who played John Connor was 14 and therefore wasn`t allowed to attend the premier :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by karajorma
I remember that I found it funny at the time, cause the kid who played John Connor was 14 and therefore wasn`t allowed to attend the premier :D

ROFLMAO!

I think you should look at the poll results not as "51% say to include swearing, and 49% not to", but as "51% don't mind swearing at all, while 49% do have issues of varying degrees with it".
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Swearing within context is an excellent way to convey a pilot's emotions.  Face it, there's no "substitute" word that has the same effect.  In a real situation, if a pilot is scared ****less, he's gonna curse.  I hate it when watching movies like Predator and Aliens on a "non-swearing" channel on TV.  The whole movie just seems...dumber.  

Put in all the swearing that you need.  Don't put it in just for the hell of it, and the mission will seem a lot cooler, more realistic, and definitely more serious.

Offline diamondgeezer

OK, for all you politely-spoken people out there - d/l this clip and tell me if it would have worked without the swearing (it's just shy of 5 megs, and it's on the FilePlanet old servers, so hopefully no queueing)

Offline diamondgeezer

That'll be a double post, then.

My bad :o

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Vasudans in SA have been known to curse with "By the Prophets" and other religious or quasi-religious sayings.  

Maybe it doesn't sound that emotional or offensive to you Terrans, but to us Vasudans it is a most powerful utterance.

:D
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

So now we know how Vasudans swear...

I beg to ask how do Shivans swear?

Is it using negative qualities attributed to food?

"This food is ROTTEN!"
"That creature made me SICK TO MY STOMACH(S)?!"

Carl please enlighten us ;)
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by Blue Lion
You ever heard one being played?

Son of a ****, kill the f*****r whos playing the f*****g thing! Rip his f*****g guts out!

:p
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
OK, for all you politely-spoken people out there - d/l this clip and tell me if it would have worked without the swearing (it's just shy of 5 megs, and it's on the FilePlanet old servers, so hopefully no queueing)

Downloaded fine, but won't play...always shows "Buffering (0%)"

Offline diamondgeezer

:confused:

Works fine here. I assume you have half a dozen different movie players you can try, like the rest of us...