Author Topic: Foul Language  (Read 33247 times)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Ok, I'll guess I'll have to whip up the user-based censor system then. :rolleyes:

Come on, people. We seriously don't want to ban you, don't make us do it.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
On a related tangent: What's the point in a censor? I mean, the only thing which could be considered offensive about a word is the images which is conveys upon reading. By replacing offending words with those ickle star thingies you are merely causing their minds to conjure up a multitude of various profanities in an effort to find a word which fits. So the only real difference is the reader sees the word with their mind instead of their mind and eyes and that they can't read as fast.

Pour example: I'm gonna **** your **** with a spikey stick then **** you in the *** with Mike's *****.

See. Pointless. I know you'll disagree, but I'm still right.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
That's why we'll block any post containing foul language. ;)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by an0n
By replacing offending words with those ickle star thingies you are merely causing their minds to conjure up a multitude of various profanities in an effort to find a word which fits.

I quite agree - which is why I am coming before you all with the issue as opposed to simply putting the word filter back in.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
I take it you won't bother censoring every fricking curse word? Coz that'd take sugaring ages and be pretty frellin hard to do. It'd also make things incredibly frelling hezmada whilst trying to quote Far-buggary-Scape or call something the illegitemate produce of two entities.

But I suppose if you wanna waste your time............

Also, I feel this will only serve to make the boards gayer in that we'll end up using terms like "Shippy" instead of "Rough, hard, sex" as has happened with just about every crapping Stargate board on the internet.
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Originally posted by Sandwich

I quite agree - which is why I am coming before you all with the issue as opposed to simply putting the word filter back in.

So, if asking use nicely doesn't work, you'll ban the offenders then make things worse?

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
see i say that OCCASIONALLY it's ok to use a bad word... not acceptable, but not as bad as using it in every sentence, like you do.  if you force them to use the filter, then no one will be able to use bad words...  don't ruin it for all of us

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
.........Eh? When was I banned from the VWBB?

i meant VBB

:)

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Originally posted by Stealth
see i say that OCCASIONALLY it's ok to use a bad word... not acceptable, but not as bad as using it in every sentence, like you do.  if you force them to use the filter, then no one will be able to use bad words...  don't ruin it for all of us

STFU.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

So, if asking use nicely doesn't work, you'll ban the offenders then make things worse?

Actually, now that I've gone over what triggered this off in the first place, I should clarify: It's not so much the curse words as the descriptive dirty phrases that bother me - I understand the (immature) need to express oneself with a good hearty "HOLY ****" here and there, but I WILL NOT tolerate things such as describing what kind of excrement you'd like to dump into whoever's mother's open mouth. Got it?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
I don't remember doing that.

Also: Oooh, he's changed the lightcolor of the horizontal-rule. Very nifty, and also, colour co-ordinated.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
On a related tangent: What's the point in a censor? I mean, the only thing which could be considered offensive about a word is the images which is conveys upon reading. By replacing offending words with those ickle star thingies you are merely causing their minds to conjure up a multitude of various profanities in an effort to find a word which fits. So the only real difference is the reader sees the word with their mind instead of their mind and eyes and that they can't read as fast.

Pour example: I'm gonna **** your **** with a spikey stick then **** you in the *** with Mike's *****.

See. Pointless. I know you'll disagree, but I'm still right.

[color=66ff00]It still serves to point out that we don't allow the use of open swearing on these boards.[/color]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I don't remember doing that.

Also: Oooh, he's changed the lightcolor of the horizontal-rule. Very nifty, and also, colour co-ordinated.

Didn't say it was you. I was simply clarifying what exactly it was that bothered me.

And yeah, that was me - couldn't stand that plain-Jane horizontal rule thing any more. :p

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
just plain out saying "F*** you" for no apparent reason, i'd say that's exactly what Sandwich was speaking against :p

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Ok, now if the arguing starts over I'll lock the thread for good an ban anyone involved for a week. Better - I'll ban anyone involved for a week, and the person who started it for a month.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
What about foreign / regional swearwords?'

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Dammit. And I was just about to use my CRYHAIRYMUTA acronym.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
awwww Styxx, i wasn't really arguing :( :sigh:

i was just humoring an0n

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
What about foreign / regional swearwords?'

In that case I suppose that nobody would understand what you are saying, so it wouldn't really matter. :D

...but I WILL NOT tolerate things such as describing what kind of excrement you'd like to dump into whoever's mother's open mouth.

This really had me laughing... :D

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
So when we wish to empahsise a point and berate someone, instead of saying:  
"I'm gonna **** your *** in the ****** every *** night until she ****s in my**** because you're a biggotted ********* who should have a **** ***'d up his *****"

We'd have to say thing like:
"I whole-heartedly disagree with your reasoning and wish to make it know to the general population that the manner in which you dress is somewhat reminiscent of a male prostitute"

???