Author Topic: Colossus question  (Read 6170 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB
Think about when the Versalife workers are talking in the LuckeyMoney in DeusEx.

:wtf:
Or, think about the British workers building the first Tank. They didn't know they were building Tanks, they thought they were building tanks. That's why Tanks are called tanks.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
Ahh yes, a far better example, thanks GE, I went temporaarily brain dead.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

:wtf:
Or, think about the British workers building the first Tank. They didn't know they were building Tanks, they thought they were building tanks. That's why Tanks are called tanks.

:wtf: They thought they were building tanks, but they were really building Tanks?

I got tank [as in battletank] but what other tank did they think they were making? :p
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Mortex

My History is a bit fuzzy but tanks as in water tanks, large containers for liquid.
Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
oh..

They must have thought they'd be needing to design some pretty tough water tanks then... :doubt:

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline J3Vr6

You're definitely right.  I don't think they would have told everyone exactly what they were building.  You only have to tell them the specs you need and have them build it.  

But they weren't building something as small (in terms of scale compared to FS) as a tank.  They were building this huge, massive ship.  People would have talked, I'm sure.  Maybe not the high-ups in the corporations, but the lowly blue collar worker who's screwing in 1 foot screws would probably hit the bar after work and chatter about it.  You don't think people would have gotten curious on why they were building engines that was possibly 3 times the size of any other engine designed before?  Or any other subsystem for that matter.

I'm sure rumors would have abound the shipyards and other stations about the GTVA building something... Something big.  I'm just throwing that out there.  I will admit and say I don't know a thing about confidentiality agreements and skunk projects, but I'm sure stories in the watering holes would have been told around.

Bosch I'm sure would have known.  Even if he didn't have clearance to outright know, he's been in the GTA long enough and knows enough people to have had inside info before he defected.

Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass  :blah:
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Mortex

They must have thought they'd be needing to design some pretty tough water tanks then...  

I did some digging on this and a number of sources agree that the reason they where called tanks was because their shape made them look like giant water tanks. Not necessarily because the workers thought they were building water tanks. Seems like the navy was first involved in developing them as so called land ships. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Like I said my history was a little fuzzy :D

J3Vr6, I rearly like your take on this. Don't mind if I 'develop'some of your ideas do you. :wink:

Offline J3Vr6

Go right ahead, don't mind if you do.  I love Freespace and it's universe but I could never make the time to make a campaign or even try to make a single mission.  I just always thought that would be interesting as a story line/campaign.  Perhaps make some missions as buys someones loyalty on the project and you have to stop a ship from warping out with plans or whatever.  Even some patrol missions where you're looking for snoopers or the media.   Or even the other way around, where you're trying to figure out what the heck the GTVA is building out there.  Whatever, that's your job :)  Just let me play it when you're done ;)

Just a question that could relate to this:  What about the media in this future?  We're not connected to the Sol system, but I'm sure there is some sort of press out there.  Is the GTVA a controlling government that runs media or are there independent press agencies?  If that's the case, I'm sure some news might have leaked out about the Colossus.  I remember when the Stealth Fighter/Bomber was still a skunk project.  But everyone really knew about it because of press leaks a while before.  They just didn't know it's full capabilities (only that it could be invisible to radar) or specs.

Um, I have no idea how i put that field in the middle of my post, but that was supposed to say: INPUT EVIL VILLAIN HERE

Sorry about that.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Mortex

I did some digging on this and a number of sources agree that the reason they where called tanks was because their shape made them look like giant water tanks. Not necessarily because the workers thought they were building water tanks. Seems like the navy was first involved in developing them as so called land ships. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Like I said my history was a little fuzzy :D

J3Vr6, I rearly like your take on this. Don't mind if I 'develop'some of your ideas do you. :wink:

I thought they'd been labelled as water tanks for secret shipping to the front lines..........at least, that's what I've been told.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
evrything was probably shiped under an alias...
Crew quarters could be pre-fab. and shipped in standard cargo containers, that are welded together at the site and have holes cut in them...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
I doubt the project was a secret, and likely suffered several disasters (20 years to build?  Something had to have happened).  There are, though, probably two reasons Bosch never went after it.

1)  He didn't care.  Remember, the NTF was a cover to recover ETAK, so what if the Colossus blew them all to kingdom come?

2)  He didn't think it was ready.  I could be wrong, but I believe the Colossus wasn't completly ready to go.  Problems with the launch bays aside, this is a big ship, and the odds that its shakedown was complete is pretty low.  Bosch probably thought they had plenty of time before Command would risk their prize in combat.  Then the NTF started doing well in the war, which brings us back to #1.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Well it might also be then that he wanted the colossus to vape the NTF, as if it wouldn't, then there would kinda be a big mess when bosch faded into the shivan love slave scene.

I don't know if I think/remember if Bosch really hated the GTVA as much as he led the NTF to beleive they should hate to GTVA to fuel the war. Odds are he didn't have much against them other than them being in the way of ETAK and maybe angry at them a little for 'supressing the future' or something for that affect.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by J3Vr6
Perhaps make some missions as buys someones loyalty on the project and you have to stop a ship from warping out with plans or whatever.  

Um, I have no idea how i put that field in the middle of my post, but that was supposed to say: INPUT EVIL VILLAIN HERE

Sorry about that.

it did that because you used the HTML brace (pointy bracket) and "input"... which makes an input field ;)

don't worry, it happens to the best of us :D

Offline Exarch

Bosch in all likelyhood knew all there was to know about the readiness of the Colossus - he did have a saboteur planted on board, after all, for when it tried to prevent him from passing through the Knossos portal. As has been mentioned though, he probably just didn't care about it as long as it didn't directly interfere with his plans for contacting the Shivans. Nor did he care much for the NTF or their fate, as long as they kept the GTVA attention off his real plans for long enough to carry them out.

Nor do I remember seeing any indications in the campaign that he is actually opposed to the GTVA as such, rather than just fighting them out of necessity due to them being in his way, and as such he would have nothing to gain from destroying the Colossus. It would just weaken the GTVA against the Shivans, which despite his ETAK plans I doubt he would want. After all ETAK might fail in contacting them, leaving war as the last resort. And he doesn't seem to be after the destruction of the human race, but actually rather seems to be seeking a non-violent way to end the conflict.

Of course that doesn't seem very likely with the Shivans, but still, we never found out what happened to him so I guess you never know. He could be in some distant system trying to convince the Shivans to just let the Terrans and Vasudans have their little solitary bubble of space to themselves right now. Perhaps that's even why the Shivans blew up Capella, instead of just sending those 80 Sathanas through to Vega or Epsilon Pegasi...

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
WELCOME TO THE HLPBB!!!
Exits are to the rear and left, but their locked, so use your head to bash them open. Shotguns and flamethrowers are under the seats, though neither work. Beware of 5 legged things crawling around you, but if its named Carl, give him some food and he won't hurt you.

Someone put the green beam in somewhere...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Mortex

Regarding the location of the Colossus' construction I found this in the Ships.tbl

"The GTI Ganymede is the Alliance's newest repair and resupply facility. Ganymede installations are currently deployed behind the front lines in the Vega, Vasuda, and Capella systems."

So as the cut scene clearly shows the Colossus docked with Ganymede rings then its construction must have taken place at one of these 3 locations.

Probably... :nervous:

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
My guess is vasuda, as the other two would be heavily populated.

... if we are going by the ganymede tables.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
I doubt that it's Vasuda. Vasuda is a sort of junction, isn't it, people pass through it all the time. it would be somewhere out of the way, like Mirfax.

In fact, Mirfax has a node to Epsilon Pegasi (I think) and the first Deployment of the colossus is in Epsilon Pegasi, so Mirfax is probably where it was built.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Petrarch of the VBB
I doubt that it's Vasuda. Vasuda is a sort of junction, isn't it, people pass through it all the time. it would be somewhere out of the way, like Mirfax.

In fact, Mirfax has a node to Epsilon Pegasi (I think) and the first Deployment of the colossus is in Epsilon Pegasi, so Mirfax is probably where it was built.

I don`t know about Vasuda Prime being a good candidate. Although the planet is lifeless I`d imagine it's treated somewhat like Ground Zero in New York. Any civilians passing through the system would want to visit there (especially Vasudans of course).

That said are there any other planets in Vasuda?  For that matter who needs a planet? Simply park a few hundred million km above or below the plane of the system. No one would ever look there. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

It couldnt have been common knowledge as when you say it for the first time in that mission to defend that instalation against the ntf no-one knew what it was and command had to send a signal telling us to calm down or something like that. Another real life is the mulberry harbours in ww2 (the floating things they took accross to France so big ships could unload cargo). Thay were such a big project that just 1, in addition to tother construction, streched the uk's industry to the limit and no one knew what they were until they were deployed. The colosous could have been built in smaller sections before being put together at the very last stage, just like the harbours were. (they were only built when they were in position in France)