Author Topic: The Shivan Manifesto, Version 2.0  (Read 29055 times)

What's wrong with the idea of energy life forms?

Define 'life form'.

We can't say that 'this is life, and it's the only way it can be' because we only have one example.  It's like saying that all technology is based on fire; to our knowledge, only one species has evolved to the point of developing a technology, and that was based on fire, but we only have one example.

So really, we can't say that life forms comprised entirely of energy are impossible, because we don't know.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, we only know we are a life form because of the energy patterns in our brains telling us so. So I suppose if the energy patterns can be coherent without any constraining matter, theres no reason why it's not numerically possible. After all, just about anything is :)

Flipside :D

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I love this whole thing. :D

I find it fascinating that we are a matter-based life form whose technology is based around harnessing energy. Shivans appear to be an energy-based life form whose technology is based around controlling matter. Brilliant!

The question is, what's left for [V] now to explain..?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
I just say this if u want to know anythin about shivans u must be shivan, and ill give you this oprtunity in first week of november.
At this time my SHIVAN MOD should be redy ( i must do some things: web site, 25 % of 640x480 graphic and ofcouse  20 missions campaing )
part I: capella incedent ( first caampaing )
part II destroy of Aicents ( second campaign in December )
and part III final solution

:)

Mmmmm.... another campaign...

How many people are working on this project?  And when is it expected to be 100% complete?
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

Offline Falcon

Is there a campain about the Ancients? If there is where can I find it?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Falcon
Is there a campain about the Ancients? If there is where can I find it?

Inferno has the Ancients fleet. It would make for a depressing campaign though, since you would lose. :blah:

Originally posted by c914
I just say this if u want to know anythin about shivans u must be shivan, and ill give you this oprtunity in first week of november.
At this time my SHIVAN MOD should be redy ( i must do some things: web site, 25 % of 640x480 graphic and ofcouse 20 missions campaing )
part I: capella incedent ( first caampaing )
part II destroy of Aicents ( second campaign in December )
and part III final solution

:)

Wow, I didn't know n00bs this n00bish still existed... *takes pictures and sends them to National Geographic*
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Re: Manifesto follow-ups, Part III: The Revenge
Originally posted by Antares
Setekh:  But I can't draw. :p

I'll show you what I mean when I have time to do the illustrations for you - in about a month. Meanwhile, make sure you keep a permanent copy of this, in a text file or something, and keep it safe - email it to me, even. If you can stick around here for a month, I'll show you. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Methinks Turnsky might be helpful as well? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

To reiterate: c914, when will your campaign be complete?  Or is it, as I suspect, another case of:

'w00t my <4mPa1Gn g0nn4 0\/\/N j00 4ll!!!!!!111  G0nn4 h4\/3 10ad$a hu3g $h1pz!!!!!1'

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
It,s not only campaing but fuul operational mod with meany new things ( mainhal new graphic  loads weapons and much more new things )
Its done in 70 %.
People: only one ( but web site do someone else )
just wait until web site will be ready and you be know anthing about it:D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 05:49:14 am by 1424 »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Shivan Mainhall? Got any pics?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
And, no offense, but I trust and hope that the mission dialog is a much higher level of english than you are currently posting in? :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
dont worry i will not :)

and here it is shivan hall (  picture like in TBP and Infyrno )

http://www.freespace.prv.pl/moderia/shivan_mod/screeny/main_hall.gif

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Ah, gotcha. Nice render though :yes:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: The Shivan Manifesto, Version 2.0
If logic is a piece of string, HLP crunches it up into a ball Quantum nLeap style and throws sense out of the window.

Just the way i like it :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You necro'd a three year dead topic just to say that?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Why did you do it?
Why Dekker?
Why did you do it?
Dekker. Why did you do it?
Stop screaming Dekker. Why did you do it?
Dekker, why?
Why? Why, did you do it?
Why? Tell us why?
Tell us now. Why did you do it?
Why Dekker, why?
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
[Billy piper] Because i want to, Because i want to [/Billie piper]  :nervous:

...sorry :(
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
****ing hell
Do we really need to bring up the Manifesto... AGAIN!!!