Author Topic: Bad DG! Bad!  (Read 9060 times)

Offline diamondgeezer

I'm in a spot of bother with the S:AAB mod for HomeWorld team. They're not best pleased with the blatant nickage of their stuff. So to set the record straight for any one here who didn't know or hadn't guessed (due to my lack of modelling talent), the models on display at my site are not my originals. All I did was convert them and bugger about with the textures a bit. They were 'aquired' for me by another HLPite and I don't have credits for them (I'm looking to research a bit there).

I apologise completely to the HW lads. Sorry guys.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Funny that fellow S:AAB fans would jump on you like that wether you were being a dick or not. You'd think they'd want to keep the idea alive.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Heh. Like how we jumped on the HomeWorld guys? :rolleyes:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's only fair that they get recognition for their work but it's not like DG ever said the models were his work so like the Freelancer thread it will most likely be another storm in a teacup.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
I told you you shoulda asked.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
An important lesson I guess... if you're going to build upon somone elses work (or just plain steal it - not implying you did but it's how it could be viewed). Ask them first. Some might be honored that their work is being put to use elsewhere, but some might feel it was stolen from them. Ask and avoid the trouble :)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
Heh. Like how we jumped on the HomeWorld guys? :rolleyes:

Hey, I didn't jump on anyone so :p

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
This should go into the FAQ.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

SETTING the record straight....!
It was never Diamond Geezer's fault, it was MINE alone!

I was the one who converted the models to a general format for him to use without his knowledge until recently of where they came from...

So here in public I wipe DG's hands clean and dirty my own name (Though I had palnned on tracking down teh mod credits from the HW mod and attaching them as original model source and also talking to them BEFORE the demoe was ready to be relased and definately before the full mod was released... For now it was a project between a very few individuals to see if it could be done.

ANY and all blame should be directed sorely at me, though I apologise I make no excuses as a fan of the show.. In fact I will and will continue to do the same for ANY show,movie, or series I deem worthy of them enigne FS2... As long as proper credit is given (as stated in MOST of the mod credits included in the downloads...) It may be a TECHNICALITY that no other games are mentioned in the usage or non usage so I took it for face value, proper credit WOULD be given, period...

Now if people think I should be ostracized or turned into a pariah for it, fine.... It's not like people are breaking down my door to help with MY projects anyway.  BUT I do not want my actions or association to hurt DG and his furture and contributions within the community.

Sincerely,

Star Dragon...
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Awefully big of you. I take my hat off to you.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
I'll take off my toupe' (sp?)

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline diamondgeezer

Well thanks for the support Dragon mate, but the responsibility for publishing the things was mine. I never really asked you where you got them. It comes back to me as the guy actually making the mod.

But heroism aside, the HW guys have accepted my apology and are now having a (snigger) mass debate as to whether or not to allow me to use their models. Bear in mind that if they say no, the chances of a S:AAB mod for FS2 are reduced to about 0.003%.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
But heroism aside, the HW guys have accepted my apology and are now having a (snigger) mass debate as to whether or not to allow me to use their models. Bear in mind that if they say no, the chances of a S:AAB mod for FS2 are reduced to about 0.003%.

Unless someone else models the ships, correct? :)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Are you using the Hammerhead from Aldo's modeldump?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 07:10:58 pm by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
don't want to be harsh guys, but if you have a model not done by you, well somebody else had to do it.
Models just don't grow alone as mushrooms....
to verify their source, and the possibility to use them is ALWAYS a must, not to mention that contacting an author before using his artwork (even if you already have permission), is a form of respect

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That said, no man stands taller than he who can stand corrected, so kudos for admitting the oversight :)

Flipside :D

Look, we really do not want our work being taken from us and used in other mods or websites. Period. There was NO permission given by any of us because your party decided NOT to contact us regarding the usage of our material in any way, shape, or form. It does not pay to be sneaky in the modding community, fellas.

Maybe, JUST maybe, we would have given permission if you would have asked. But since you already screwed up, there is no chance now.

Like I said before, I am sorry. Good luck with your project, and if you would like some pointers for your mod or need SAAB expertise, drop by the SAAB: Homeworld forum and ask.

Just consider what you have learned from this experience. Sucks to learn lessons the hard way.

SAAB: Homeworld Mod Founder

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Are you using the Hammerhead from Aldo's modeldump?

God...I'd forgotten about that.  I'm still quite proud of my only attempt so far at 'copied' work - especially as it's probably more accurate, a lot more 'tightly' modelled and far better mapped than the 10k+ model I initially used for a reference.

Map needs darkened a bit, though - albeit the actual rivets, etc are pretty much in the exact same place as the TV model.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
So much for the friendly modding community and the sharing of knowledge and an attempt to build undestanding across the great divide......

I can understand them being annoyed, that is understandable, however, I'm not sure I like the tone of Jason8472... 'My Mod! My Mod! Nurdy Nurdy nur nur!'.

Possibly something along the lines of 'Sorry to let you down, but this Mod is the property of the Homeworld community and we would rather you didn't use it. Had your team contacted us, before starting it may have been possible that we would have allowed you to use the data, however, next time please bear in mind that doing so would have been considered more polite'.

It doesn't say anything different, it also doesn't sound like an 8 year old complaining that someone else is playing with his Action Man.

Flipside.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 11:49:48 am by 394 »