Author Topic: Weapon Effects - Yet another bunch of 32bit eye candies  (Read 70026 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Weapon Effects - Yet another bunch of 32bit eye candies
High poly missiles... high poly missiles. I dunno. I have a picture that highlights exactly why the missiles currently are a little on the low poly side - unfortunately, it highlights this against a secret DatDB mod, so I can't show it. However, I can also see what Setekh and DG and the like have been saying - missiles are rarely seen clearly, and a lot of this stuff is overkkill (though not the shivan specific ones). What they need, in most cases, is a slight increase in polys, maybe up to octagons or dodecagons from hexagons, and possibly slightly higher res texs. A 388 poly Hornet missile is definitely overkill though...

Though really, given that I'm not doing the work, I probably should shut up ;).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
raptor, look at your first set of missle
you can hardly tell the difference btween lod0 and lod1 now that they are still images, in game you probably will not see any difference even between lod1 and 2
so what's the point of oversmoothing them?
your shivan missles have probably a section of 20-24 edges, wich is useless and a waste even on fighters and details of capships.
You have to cut the pcount by half if not more, using a number of edges in the cylinder section of not more than 10, 12 as GRAND MAXIMUM on the bigger missles.
the last LOD must be just a pyramid with a triangular base, and NOT a "true" model, and this is almost true even for the fighters, that are many many times bigger than a missle, so why the hell should you use on them uberdetailed lower lods??????
And the point is not if they will cause too much performance drain or not, the point is that they have USELESS details, so they are absolutely not efficent, and consider that who is talking, me, have the tendence to uberdetail everything, so if I am saying that, you better believe me.
And useless unefficent details means that you are adding details wich will just increase pcount and give almost none visual addition.

Offline Raptor

Well, I just completed a test.

System specs:

CPU: 1.1ghz Processor
RAM: 128mb
Video Card: 128mb Geforce FX 5200 PCI
Screen Res: 1024x768x32
D3D

Launcher Flags:
-HTL
-jpgtga

setting:

12 Perseus fighters (including mine) attacking a Demon Destroyer (playing dead)
Double Load Of hornets (mine), 80 each.  Double Subach HL-7 (Lightspeeds)

At start:

Demon only on screen, FPS: ~30

When all 11 other fighters on screen, + Demon, all firing double Hornet savlos, and double firing Subachs, and myself double firing missiles, FPS low: ~7.5 (note that increasing time compression while only Demon on screen caused the same, not sure if revealent)

All fighters + Demon + Support Ship, no missiles, still firing guns, FPS: ~20

Highest FPS: 40 (external view myself, nothing else in sight)

ONe or two other fighters, firing missiles + guns, +myself doing same, FPS: ~20

Note: before upgrading to this HT&L build, I was getting FPS ~17.5 without any combat.  When combat started, it would drop.

SO, think about this.  I had a Demon Destroyer, 11 Perseus fighters, 12X4X? Subach HL-7 bolts, 12x8x? Hornet missiles, ? explosions, plus all the shading etc, on screen at once.

To me, it's not much of a drop, but to others......

I'll have a look at reducing the poly count a little, make LOD0 use 12 sided cylinders rather than the current 24.......:nervous:

:EDIT: yes KARMA, I understand you, but they look damm cool! (besides, I'm heading that way now)
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
fx5200 SUCKS!
I hate My signature!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Even given with the SCP improvements, my personal limit for a missile is 100 polys, +/- 15 polys. They aren't LODed, tho..... we haven't done any testing with them, so I may reconsider if fps is affected.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I love the concept of the higher detail missile models but I think some prudence in the amount of detail you put on them is also important.  I think back in TBP's day we didn't have more than 24 sides for the Babylon 5 main section (with is just a cylinder) and that was for a huge model....your missiles should have considerably less.  The relatively same effect can be achieved using far less polys with appreciable performance gains and efficiency.

Remember that the number of Hornet/Tornado missiles can skyrocket VERY QUICKLY.  Especially if you have five wings of Hercules Mark 2's that jump in and start unloading firepower at their target.  Totally brutal and deadly.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Perhaps if the level of detail was proportional to the size of the missiles - the larger the missile, the more detail there is. Serving two functions -

There are typically more hornets / tornados / etc. per launch than there are Helios' - reducing the detail on small objects keeps the frame rate reasonable.

Also larger missiles are easier to see (and typically move slower) and so they're more aesthetically appealing with more detail - and will be noticed as opposed to smaller warheads.

Offline Raptor

I agree.  I was not going to touch the tempests/furys/etc.  Their just too small.  The Hornet was the first working one, and kind of a test.  It's about the smallest I'll go.

I'll see about reducing polys on the bodys of the missiles.

Icefire: that's why I ran my test with hornets.  Only three wings though.  Must admit the fps depends on how many are on screen at a time.

Ashrak: In your opinon! and it's better than I had 3 weeks ago!

Lightspeed, I have concepts for most of the Shivan missiles now, except the Shivan 'Harbinger'/'Helios' grade monster.
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
the nearest LOD should have some details, the other ones can remain a bit crappy :)

And bombs DO need the details. Anyway, i like those shivan missiles :)

And I bet I can do some pwetty stuff with them models so once that detail-bothering and LODding is done, you know where to go with them ;)

-edit: @raptor: pretty good, note that I wont copy them weapons 1:1 though. So i'm always open for some unique designs, too. I really appreciate your help on this :yes:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I'm totally all for this stuff Lightspeed.  Depending on the timeframes of  a whole lot of your projects and my timeframes BWO *may* ship with alot of this stuff as standard (or easily acitvated).  So I'd like to put them into practical use but I also know that BWO has some HUGE missions and its not uncommon for several wings of Hornet firing ships to be on the screen at the same time - in some instances.

I also agree that Bomb/Warhead/Torpedo's should definately have some more detail.  That'd be important for sure!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Great :)

I'll prolly do the circe tomorrow, maybe have a look at the lamprey.

Then I can have a go at missiles, shivan stuff (and the remaining but uncommon primary weapons) :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Dudes, really - hi-poly missiles? Give it a rest. There's no point in breaking 50-100 polys per missile, and even that I'm skeptical about. Concentrate your skills elsewhere. Seriously.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Just for bombs, anti-fighter missiles are fine like they are.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
This whole deatil on missiles issue is moot.

These models have LODs IIRC - the distance where they are swapped can be set.

I'm all for the uber detailed missiles - the engine won't draw them anyway unless they pass right by your cockpit - which is rare, but if it happens it's not too nice to see a crunchy thing instead a missile.

What you should argue or converse about is the distance where this LOD should be shown and the distance where the next one is still shown, and the distance where it can be a cube and you won't notice.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by Flaser
This whole deatil on missiles issue is moot.

These models have LODs IIRC - the distance where they are swapped can be set.

I'm all for the uber detailed missiles - the engine won't draw them anyway unless they pass right by your cockpit - which is rare, but if it happens it's not too nice to see a crunchy thing instead a missile.

What you should argue or converse about is the distance where this LOD should be shown and the distance where the next one is still shown, and the distance where it can be a cube and you won't notice.

Hear, Hear!:yes:

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
You know, I'd totally forgotten about LODs. :) Still, LOD0 would have to be set ridiculously low. I'd still work on other stuff first, but if you're having fun going for this, do it. :nod:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
fifty years from now, were all running 6,00 Thz compuuters, you still shouldn't use more than 100 polys for a missle, becase it's a minor detail
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Bobboau
fifty years from now, were all running 6,00 Thz compuuters, you still shouldn't use more than 100 polys for a missle, becase it's a minor detail

There will never be '6 Thz' computers. The current method of building CPUs has reached the molecular limit. You cannot reduce the size much more since the thickness is "1 molecule" in some elements.

However, there are experiments with sub-molecular processors which seem very promising (no idea tho how they'd work) :D

So, probably, in fifty years the whole system will have been changed.

Still, back on topic, why not? Isn't it the tiny details and things that make some games outstanding against the rest? ;)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
I want a quantum computer!
btw..
as said, you can make missles of how many poly you want, that's not the point, the point is that making details that you just can't see it's unefficent, useless, a waste.
With something of the size of a missle it is simply ridiculous to have a cylinder of more than 12 edges, since you can hardly see any difference even if it is a still imagine, so you can imagine in game...
that's it

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by Lightspeed
There will never be '6 Thz' computers. The current method of building CPUs has reached the molecular limit. You cannot reduce the size much more since the thickness is "1 molecule" in some elements.

this is OT but who cares
Ever heard of the quark based computer some dude is working on? A a system running calculations exploiting quarks ability to be in 2 states at once (1 and 0) would have unlimited calculations
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.