Author Topic: Processors  (Read 910 times)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Okay, honestly now, how much performance increase is there in an Athlon XP 2000 over and Athlon XP 1800?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
I'd assume about 200 mhz... :p

Correction: About 0.14Ghz
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Pick a number.

Pick another number.

Bet neither was 14083.

I'd be more helpful, but honestly I think that's about as much as I can give you. Tough economy and all.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]Seek benchmarks. :nod:
[/color]

Offline diamondgeezer

Bugger all difference really, but you might as well get the cheaper 1800 and overclock it a little to get the same performance as the 2000. The heat increase ought to be negligable. Got my 1800 overclocked to 2.0GHz :D

Offline Grey Wolf

That's about what most 1800+s overclock to. The best overclockers, from what I've seen, are 1700+s (Thouroughbred B cores), 2100+s (Tbred B), and 2500+s (Bartons).
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Speaking of overclocking, do you guys know any handy tools to do that under windows or some utility to ajust VIA chipset mobos' FSB?

That BIOS I have couldn't be less tweakable

Offline Grey Wolf

Hmm.... Check the actual brand of the motherboard you're using. Often, OEMs use motherboards by Asus and the like, and if you flash the motherboard with a BIOS from the manufacturer instead of the OEM, it'll sometimes unlock some of the locked features.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I don't think there was much of a difference in terms of performance.

but you might as well get the cheaper 1800 and overclock it a little to get the same performance as the 2000.

Some of us don't want to void our warrenties. :p
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline diamondgeezer

Well excuse me Grandpa

<-- lives dangerously :cool:

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
What kind of stability have u had with overclocking the Athlon dg?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline diamondgeezer

at 2.00, it was perfectly happy. Admitedly I use one of these: