Author Topic: How about this for a weapon!  (Read 4800 times)

How about this for a weapon!
An Anti-Matter Slaser.

That would be so cool! Anti-Matter destroyes anything it touches, atom for atom, particle for particle. So, if you could make a Laser based on Anti-Matter and make it slice accross the hull of a ship, it could literally cut a ship in half as easy as a knife through butter!
Culloden - 16th April 1746

Offline QXMX

Not to mention obliterate everything within a 5 kilometer radius.

E=mc^2  

The Helios Torpedo is an anti-matter warhead, and it's prohibitivly expensive to make.

------------------
.....File not found....please enter password

Co-Creator, GroundZero

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The question has to be, if antimatter destroys normal matter on contact, how the hell do you store/ collect it?

------------------
http://uk.geocities.com/gunnery_control/index.html
    [email protected]    

"I awake to see that no-one is free,
we're all fugitives, look at the way we live"

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
collect: gravity
store: vacuum
well just my idea...
SCREW CANON!

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
Well... actually both gravity and vacuum for both, but that's just being picky  

------------------
"Supernova, ya supernova, supernova goes pop
supernova, ya think it's over but the supernova don't stop" PM5K
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
#knees death in the groin#
Rimmer:"Remember matey, it's only the good that die young"
"Do not fear the chickens. Become one with the chickens. Respect the chickens and... #BOK!# LEG IT!!!"
The Claw- Project Coordinator and modeller of Alternate Reality and official spare wheel of The Perfect Storm...
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Create:  Particle accelerator
Storage: Magnetic fields
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
you can create antimatter when:

you accelerate a particle into a state where it has more energy than mass.

SO say you had an electron that weighs 2,000,000,000 electron volts (the amount of charge an electron has)

you have to give it that much energy, then collide it with something heavy like uranium or gold or lead.

Among the spray of weird very short lived particles will be some positrons and other anti-particles that could possibly be collected and cooled into antihydrogen.

(read the nights' dawn trilogy)

------------------
 http://www.wevil.co.uk  - how NOT to do a website

Offline Snipes

• http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/us

Originally posted by Shrike:
Create:  Particle accelerator
Storage: Magnetic fields

Particle accelerator?! uh-oh...

They built one of those in Brookhaven labs here on long Island... Damn hem all to hell if they destroy earth!!!

------------------
United Space
Newsie, Modder, Slave to Asta
------------------
"Snipes... Is The Dark Continent."

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
they have made anit hydrogren atoms alrady not many though
ARGHHH

Offline QXMX

Certainly not enough for a Helios  

------------------

Co-Creator, GroundZero

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Figuring that the ones that they have made have a lifetime of nanoseconds you'd better be quick if you want to catch them  

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by Maeglamor:
Figuring that the ones that they have made have a lifetime of nanoseconds you'd better be quick if you want to catch them  

Maybe they're generated upon impact?  

How would firing the beam of anti-matter directly from the particle accelerator work?

Offline morris13

• New Marshal in town...

Originally posted by Culloden:
How would firing the beam of anti-matter directly from the particle accelerator work?

Exactly the same as a normal particle accellerator does. Anti-particles still have a charge and you can accellerate them using magnetic fields exactly the same way. Its just storing the anti-matter particles properly and maintaing a good supply thats the trick.
If it aint broke, break it!

Thats what I'm talking about. Firing the anti-matter as soon as it's created in the accelerator. That way, there's no need for storage.

Offline QXMX

I don't know how much would be produced in the beam, but it'd be damn dangerous.  If I kilogram of Antimatter came in contact with 1 kg of matter, it would produce about 90 PetaJoules of energy.  I think that's roughly 1000-100,000 H bombs.  Wouldn't want that stuff touchin nothin  

------------------

Co-Creator, GroundZero

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
So you couldn't have a beam of pure antimatter, it'd wipe out that part of the universe. Unless it's something like a particle or two thick, which would be pretty crap for gameplay, as you can't see it  

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
To make 1 pound (454g) of antimatter would bankrupt the earth.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
To mess with 1 pound (454g) of antimatter would put a sizeable hole in the earth.

------------------
Brain over...
Insert coin

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Nah, 1 kg of AM releases about 20 MT of explosive power (I think) - although it annihilates with 1 kg of matter as well, so you actually get 40-odd MT of bang.

And firing it straight from the accelerator is just....inneficient.  You can store it just fine with magnetic fields.

[This message has been edited by Shrike (edited 06-06-2001).]
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.