Author Topic: Ulysses Oddity  (Read 11799 times)

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
fighters:
FS1 Apollo ( ive fly in him all campaing ) and  Dragon
FS2 Tauret ( much better than herc 2 ) and my favorite Aserhoth:)
bombers:
sekhmet ( iv hasnt saw him in capmaning but in muli is the best )
and Seraphim ( 12 cannons that a real fire power )

The Bat isn't such a bad fighter... it steers nicely, carries enough missiles for its job, and besides, it's not easy to get a lock on it visually - it's a thin line in space. (as opposed to a Myrmidon, the next-in-line space superiority fighter which has a radar blip the size of a bowling ball - you can't NOT see it coming :drevil:)!
A Seth is a terrible thing to waste. The reverse applies for Shivans.

"Look at you, Hacker... a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors... How can you challenge a PERFECT, IMMORTAL MACHINE?"
        -- Shodan, the Devil of Citadel Station, 2072 AD

-= Freshly hooked on LSD... er, DSL=-

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, the Myrm is a giant flying target isn't it.  It's only saving grace is the Helios capability, even if it is a typo.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Ace
Now that's what I want to see, a high-poly Anubis :)

It had better have high-poly debris, too. After all, that's virtually all you see of the Anubis. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Originally posted by Liberator
Yeah, the Myrm is a giant flying target isn't it.  It's only saving grace is the Helios capability, even if it is a typo.
Yeah... Not exactly what you'd expect of a space superiority fighter. I could understand the old GTB/F Athena, that thing was more of a multirole ship than anything. Then again, to a degree, you could say the same for the GTB Zeus.

On the topic of Anubi, they aren't anything BUT flying debris. They were used as kamikaze craft, remember? :D
A Seth is a terrible thing to waste. The reverse applies for Shivans.

"Look at you, Hacker... a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors... How can you challenge a PERFECT, IMMORTAL MACHINE?"
        -- Shodan, the Devil of Citadel Station, 2072 AD

-= Freshly hooked on LSD... er, DSL=-

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
Best Terran Ship Ever: Perseus
Worst: Herc - piss poor weapon positioning

Best Shivan Ship Ever: Dragon
Worst: Basilisk - slow, stupid, and big

Best Vasudan Ship Ever: Horus
Worst: Anubis - speaks for itself

Ship Destroyed with the most satisfaction: Nahema
Ship Destroyed with the highest blood pressure: Dragon

;7

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Lightspeed
Best Shivan fighter ever: Scorpion.
:)

That thing sucks. I'd pick the Manticore, Basilisk, Mara, or Dragon any day over the Scorpion.

Best Terran ship ever: Apollo
Worst Terran ship ever: Pegasus

Best Vasudan ship ever: Seth
Worst Vasudan ship ever: Ptah or Osiris

Best Shivan ship ever: Dragon
Worst Shivan ship ever: Shaitan

Best overall ship: Apollo
Worst overall ship: Shaitan
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Even pre-shields, the Apollo could kick the ass of anything in space. Including Saths if you've got enough patience.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Zarax

Best Ships Ever Used: Ares&Ursa
Worst Ship: Loki (And because i'm sadistic i place the player into one of them almost in every mission i design).
Basically, the more missiles it carries, the better.
The Best is Yet to Come

My favorite Terran fighter is a dead tie between the Apollo and the Enyeries (sp?) A close second for me is the Perseus. My least favorite has to be the Myrmidon. God damn, I hate flying that thing. For some reason, I am not that big a fan of flying Vasudan craft...... I don't know why or anything, their all good ships, but I just don't like flying them. (And for those of you who want to fly the Anubis in FS2, check out the Pandoras Box campaign...) And I agree with most everyone that the Dragon is the Shivans best fighter.... What I do whenever I see one of them is target it right away and send my wingmen all after it, as I'd rather deal with swarms of Shivan Basilisks and the like than one Dragon.
tianjun1298 > Your this only the fine insect which escapes from the condom

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I always loved the Apollo in FS1 used it and the valc right up till I got the Ulysses, at wich point I tended to use Ulysses or Apollo
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Dough with Fish... my feelings for the Dragon exactly!! ;)

To see how hard is to hit that bloody thing you only have to play the FS1 mission where you have to disable one on insane...

Best Vasudan Ship... Tauret anyone?

Terran... light bombers (athena and artemis) rule!! :rolleyes:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Best All-round fighter: Apollo, Mara
Best Multirole Bomber: Athena, the Zeus comes close
Best Lightning Bomber: Athena, Artemis DH, Hydra, Artemis
Best Interceptor: Valkyre, Horus comes close, Dragon (unless you're given one with Shivan statistics {sliding, correct ETS ect.}, than its on equal grounds with the Valkyre)
Best Assault Fighter: Hercules (it takes practice and a spin-capable joy to use it - it has massive firepower), Erynes (the ETS is unbalanced, you'll have to be a spider to keep it in rein), Herc 2 (I really miss my 4 primaries as one slot)
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Zarax
Worst Ship: Loki (And because i'm sadistic i place the player into one of them almost in every mission i design).

If they didn't **** up the stealth, it would've been a great fighter. But without stealth it's worthless.

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by DeepSpace9er
Best Terran Ship Ever: Perseus
Worst: Herc - piss poor weapon positioning

Best Shivan Ship Ever: Dragon
Worst: Basilisk - slow, stupid, and big

Best Vasudan Ship Ever: Horus
Worst: Anubis - speaks for itself

Ship Destroyed with the most satisfaction: Nahema
Ship Destroyed with the highest blood pressure: Dragon

;7

The Aeshma is worse than the Basilisk by a long shot.

LOL @ highest blood pressure. You love it when you fly it and you hate it when you don't.

--General Battuta

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The Scorpion rules, the dragon has poor weaponry ('tis a bit like the serapis) - In FS2 the Erinyes (whee - I can spell) is pretty good, and the Perseus (it's a shame they took out my favourite, the Valkyrie). The best bomber is, and will always be the Ursa.

Worst vasudan ship ever made: The Bakha bomber. It can't carry assault weapons, it cant carry bombs. Its not a fighter. Its not a bomber. Its crap.

Worst terran ship ever: Zeus. No need to explain. Crap Hull, crap weapons, slow, easy to hit, ...

Worst shivan ship ever: the Aeshma (gotta love spelling!) fighter :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
If they didn't **** up the stealth, it would've been a great fighter. But without stealth it's worthless.

Yeah. You'd think someone would do something about that. But the GTVA went down the road of making the pegasus instead so if you wanted an upgraded loki you'd need to look for someone cut off from the GTVA for at least 32 years. Hmmm. Now in which campaign would you find someone like that  :drevil:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by karajorma

Yeah. You'd think someone would do something about that. But the GTVA went down the road of making the pegasus instead so if you wanted an upgraded loki you'd need to look for someone cut off from the GTVA for at least 32 years. Hmmm. Now in which campaign would you find someone like that  :drevil:

BWO! ;)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Problem with that idea (upgraded Loki in Sol) is that the Loki didn't see action until Silent Threat which was post-Lucifer destruction. Unless Sol has the plans for the Loki, they would have never used it. One would assume that they would have the plans though, but that assumes that all fighters are designed and built in Sol. If a fighter was built by an non-Sol contractor, and the fighter only saw limited use with the GTI before Sol, it may have never really been used in the system.

It can't carry assault weapons, it cant carry bombs. Its not a fighter. Its not a bomber. Its crap.

The Bakha carries Cyclops as standard, and also carried the Helios in Bear Baiting even though its not allowed it in the ships.tbl
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 12:16:44 am by 1332 »

Actually it can carry Helios, only in its primary bank. ;)

Wonder what they were smoking when they put that in...