Author Topic: The Nebula Thread  (Read 23338 times)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
@redmenace: it's possible but limits you to 256 colours as ANI is the only supported animation format

@cannonfodder:

that's not what I meant.

I mean something like this, where the actual nebula is softer, more cloudy and less 'edgy' as well as the colour tone is more unified.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by redmenace
now what would be great would be far off lightning strikes in the nebula. just parts of it lighting up randomly or in a sequence. But I am sure that is far from possible.

not necessarily.
In skyboxes you may animate some parts of the nebula. Problem is that at the detail level we're talking about it would be very performance hit
Also, I have a little idea about localized nebs, which was expressed IIRC for the frist time by venom:
Make a nebula model, not too high in pcount, you don't need it, and map it so that it's invisible.
IIRC you can have invisible polys not colliding with objects, if not possible make this mesh with lots of weird intersections, to confuse the bsp tree generation.
Make many thruster models (the name in the hierachy) with shapes designed for this purposes, and map them with some animated nebula textures, and make the thruster glows in many directions/sizes.
Those thrusters will have to intersect the mesh, will intersect eachother and will be the various neb elements. The glows will be the hot areas of the neb.
Give to the pof hitpoints, and in fred make it undestructable but with a very low % of hull (not sure if this will work, but I think yes). As result you will see the lightning bolts that FS2 use when a ship is near to be destroyed over the invisible mesh.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by Lightspeed

@cannonfodder:
I mean something like this, where the actual nebula is softer, more cloudy and less 'edgy' as well as the colour tone is more unified.

Meh, I like bright and cheery colors :p

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Lt.Cannonfodder

Meh, I like bright and cheery colors :p

Well, there's a difference between cheery and cotton-candy. :p

I like those EVE ones, as well. There's something about an eggshell colored nebula that's amazing.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I like the soft colour and almost non existant contrast, as well as the lighting.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
non existent contrast? going from pure black to almost white? hmm :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I dont see any pure black or pure white in that EvE screenie :)

Offline RandomTiger

It would take the fun out of it but I think theres a photoshop plugin that makes nebulas.

Offline Solatar

Glitterato I think it's called.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
And it's crappah! Best to make them by hand. :nod:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
I agree with everything Lightspeed has said so far.

That is all.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if you have kai power tools you can do alot of cool stuff. i use lensflare for weapon glows, scenebulder to make interface art (lets you load and render 3ds files), fraxflameII makes cool fractal based nebulas, lightning is just awesom to make ligtning strikes. id highly recomend getting them.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
get fractal wit it
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 01:03:50 pm by 561 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by Nuke
get fractal wit it

Very cool, but doesn't look like a nebula at all. Still, very nice :nod:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Would make a nice subspace effect though :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Updated:

Now please tell me if these are good enough or should I just drop the whole thing? I might be able to make them I bit better, but the basic look is what you see here. And please note that jpg compression takes away some of the smaller and more detailed patterns.

Uhm.. actually, EvE's nebulas aren't 2D at all... they are made of particles, so it's easier to get a smoother and nicer effect.

I'll post a decent picture later.
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Originally posted by Lt.Cannonfodder
Updated:

Now please tell me if these are good enough or should I just drop the whole thing? I might be able to make them I bit better, but the basic look is what you see here. And please note that jpg compression takes away some of the smaller and more detailed patterns.

The second one is interesting, but the problem is that they don't add much in my opinion to the vanilla fs2 nebs.
I suggest you to go search some cool images from nasa and other sources (I posted many links in the skybox thread of some months ago, and many images too), and try to reproduce em. The greg martin's tutorials and others could be useful

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
No, they're not :doubt:
I've travelled enough lightyears in the beta to know they're 2D, like in any other game.
SCREW CANON!

What i meant is that they are made of 3d particles, squished on a 2d plane while rendering :)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 01:04:44 pm by 561 »
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291