Author Topic: The Nebula Thread  (Read 23340 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Originally posted by Nico

:wtf:
Have you even tried? Guess not. So I'll answer by a simple: No, they don't.

i have a better answer for you:

a 6 poly skybox

rather impressive, all you need to do to get me to release something is to say it cant be done. although i never tested it in jpg format. enjoy
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I don't say it's impossible, I say it looks crap. And I'm right.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Oh, damn, Lightspeed... :eek2:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
It's just to have some feedback, and I'm wondering about leaving for the SW conversion eventual more complex combinations and future works, but...well, enjoy: http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/swfs2/files/neb.zip
the file blueneb (or something like that) is intended to be used as a background image, just don't use a too low scale factor in fred.
I'm wondering about darkening a bit the images, my monitor's brightness is flickering and sometimes it is very bright, some others not (it depends by how many fists I give it:p), and when it's bright I like the images less. Problem is, I don't know exactly how ppl will see em :|
I'm also curious about how they'll look on higher res monitor settings

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
I was thinking... would it be possible to have in fred the possibility to rotate/flip the background pofs?
This would let us make some simple variations w/o having to create a different skybox for each of them.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Nico
I don't say it's impossible, I say it looks crap. And I'm right.

indeed. That cube is... horrifying.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
nobody likes my box, now im sad :doubt:
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by Nuke
nobody likes my box, now im sad :doubt:

The box is what I'd call a start. You aren't there yet, but at least you're well on your way :)

i  remember when i use to make some good space nebulas and backgrounds... in the golden age of FS2... in this new Platinum era... i feel... old... :(

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
i remember when i use to make some good space nebulas and backgrounds... in the golden age of FS2... in this new Platinum era... i feel... old...

lol, same here. I made some extra nebulas for PI a long time ago that I am still using and they looked great in comparison to the default nebulas, but this was long before the source code was released. They are of standard 256x256x8 specification and look pretty decent but are nothing compared to the stuff Lightspeed has been posting. At least FRED2 and table experience won't become obsolete so easily. :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 12:27:45 am by 296 »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
same with all my ships which were designed before freespace went opensource, kept them in the 500 poly range and they were awesome back then, if i were to release them now people would go "eeeeeeew, whats that" so ive been re-diong some of my older models to make them a bit more cool under the new engine. i think fixing up old ships made me fall behind. ive been modding freespace sence fs1 and have been making mods altogether sence descent 2. i learned to work with low polyl imits and low res textures. newer modders need not be constrained by such limits, and so their learning curve streamelined for modern gaming technologies. i have to unlern my primative habbits.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
*nods* Same here. You know, Platinum Era... has an interesting ring to it... ;)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
anything that ends with "um" as a nice ring to it :p
look: consortium era, recitium era, rect... hem, never mind.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Don't finish that sentence, yes, that's right, forget you ever thought of it. :p

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Yes, we sure have a great engine. :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Lynx

Most of those nebulas look nice, but they would look much nicer with more than half a dozen stars. There should be much more stars, (IW2 had about 6000 to 10000 background stars in different brightness grades).
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
FS2 does need a lot of work on its starfield. But I'm not sure how the existing one is done etc.

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Lynx
Most of those nebulas look nice, but they would look much nicer with more than half a dozen stars. There should be much more stars, (IW2 had about 6000 to 10000 background stars in different brightness grades).

I dont think you should put any stars in otherwise they will stick out as being different from the seperately rendered stars.

It just renders them as lines at the moment, I image we could make them look better. If I ever stop having to code on maintainence issues perhaps I will take a look.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Yeah, I understand the whole code freeze things - we can still talk about what comes later though ;)

Having compared IWar 2s starfield with FS2s, I have to say the only difference seems to be that some of IWar2s are dimmer than FS2s - also there seems to be a lot more of them.

Offline RandomTiger

I wasnt actually on about the code freeze :)

New errors come out of nowhere for the launcher and DX8 as people upgrade and change their systems, keeps me too busy to think about features a lot of the time.