Author Topic: The Nebula Thread  (Read 23341 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
we could have them rendered as point sprites and have a trail left behind them (like beams and thruster glows)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Would that be hard? (You're talking to the manager figure of Dilbert here - the clueless one).

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I'm not convinced that'd look any better... really, I don't think the stars are so bad, they just think less randomness in their... randomness :p ( star clusters, rather than one star there, then one there, then one there, etc ). and maybe being blurred when you rotate your ship.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Lynx

Look at the IW2 starfields, they kick the ass of the FS starfields out of the house, down the road, up a skyscraper and...
We need more stars, with different brightness grades. The FS stars have all almost the same brightness and color, some variation would be nice; and it looks better if a star is just one pixel, insted of the FS ways where a star is a few pixels wide with darker edges to make them look smoother.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
guess I just can't remember. Haven't played to both games for quite a long time now... ( tho I could play FS2 again now, it seems to work fine on my laptop ).
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Wow... kudos all around.

Stars should be an inverse relationship of brightness related to amount... a few bright stars, more dimmer ones, and a ton of barely visible ones.

IMO for colorizing, the center should always remain unsaturated (white or grey), with the coloring coming from the "glow" pixels around it.

And Venom is right on - they need to be clustered in areas, nearly absent in others, but never to extremes. Also, the clustering should be only in the brightest stars, not in any of the dimmer ones.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

What Mike said. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, seperated-at-birth thing getting REALLY freaky. :nervous:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
You think it's freaky for you? Here I am, opening up the nebula thread, thinking, "what suggestions can I make to refine these products visually?". And so I go to the quick reply box... and then I see I've already posted everything I've wanted to say - except you're the one who said it.

:eek2: :shaking:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, stop it. :p

Offline nakki

great backgrounds lightspeed. :)

tried to do proper background image heres a link.
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jlippone/nebula.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 05:41:11 pm by 1641 »

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Bump what for?

The influx in this thread died, and i'll have to wait with further releases till I have a bumped FREDopen.

That's about all the news there is.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Clean out your PM box lightspeed:)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Lightspeed
Bump what for?

Quite possibly because nobody seems to have noticed Nakki's stuff? Which is rather cool. Screenies perchance Nak?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Quite possibly because nobody seems to have noticed Nakki's stuff? Which is rather cool. Screenies perchance Nak?

Then it was a good bump. Those nebs do look good :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by nakki
great backgrounds lightspeed. :)

tried to do proper background image heres a link.
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jlippone/nebula.html

that does indeed look good. could you get that ingame?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Probally, but you should see what lightspeeds nebula did to the regular Fs2 missions.;)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years