Author Topic: Return of the.....  (Read 20847 times)

Offline Raptor

Well, at least I've got something right:)

Some more screenies.

Detail behind the dorsal plasma turret.

Top of the rear engine block.

The Aeolus can now give you 'The Evil Eye':drevil:

I do plan to remove the windows, but I think I'll wait till I've UV mapped it, so the windows on the texture are alined with the model plan.

This last one...rethinking side turret setup...option A or B? (Ignore the different colours).
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
:wtf:

Point on top, or flat top? Is that what you're on about?  I doubt anyone'll really notice much difference.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline diamondgeezer

Point on top

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
:wtf:

Point on top, or flat top? Is that what you're on about?  I doubt anyone'll really notice much difference.

Yea, that's basically it.
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Who cares? :p

Flat on top.
lol wtf

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Flat-top.

Dunno why - just cos.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Stop me if I'm wrong, but aren't those turrets supposed to be those ones that stick out a bit from the hull and slope upwards, with the six (or so) holes on the front.  Take a look at the original and you'll see what I mean.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
Stop me if I'm wrong, but aren't those turrets supposed to be those ones that stick out a bit from the hull and slope upwards, with the six (or so) holes on the front.  Take a look at the original and you'll see what I mean.

Yea, these are the replacements.  I HATED those side guns.  I hated the design, the mapping, everything about them.  I'm a firm beliver that the design of a turret should reflect the type of weapon it's fitted with, were possible.

They (V) used the same turets on the Hecate.  That's partly why at some point I'll do a re-turreted version of the Hecate, replacing those silly, ugly blocks for some REAL turrets.

(rant over)

I'm surprised no-one commented on the third screenie.  Guess it's completely clear, eh?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm a little more concerned that your turrets on these locations resemble more beam cannons that flak turrets, which they are supposed to be IIRC... or are these just the "destroyed" version of the turret sub-objects?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
I'm a little more concerned that your turrets on these locations resemble more beam cannons that flak turrets, which they are supposed to be IIRC... or are these just the "destroyed" version of the turret sub-objects?

In the original tbl,one of the guns was a flak gun yes, but the other was an AAA.

I know they both look a little beamish, but then again, that could be said for nearly all the turrets on the Fenris/Lev, the Deimos, etc...

It's hard coming up with a decent looking side mounted turret that doesn't look like a beam port in shape.  Guess I'd better texture those two, maybe then the differance will be clearer.

While I'm at it, I'll also redo the texturing on the main sections of the dorsal/ventral turrets (You might have noticed that the screenies above don't have textures on them).  I messed up the texturing.  Might alter shape a little too.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
IIRC you CAN do multipart turrets on the sides of a ship as well as top and bottom - they just need to be aligned to the XYZ axes.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Dorsal turret looks nice and sleek. :) I say point on top for the turrets, btw. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
a comment reguarding side rotating turrets......
Hmm, does this mean that someone could redo the side turrets on the Deimos so it looks more like the one on the boxart.

Or is this just possible for single barrel rotating turrets, and not twin or triple ones.

Because i belive the Deimos was supposed to have a couple of twin barrel rotating side turrets.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 03:44:30 pm by 1659 »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
IIRC it doesn't work.  Multiparts must pivot around the vertical axis, no exceptions.  I don't know where Sandwich got that.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by StratComm
IIRC it doesn't work.  Multiparts must pivot around the vertical axis, no exceptions.  I don't know where Sandwich got that.

Are you sure they cannot be oriented along the horizontal? I seem to recall that they cannot be at an angle to any of the main axes.

IIRC Ace did up a model platform ages ago that was "L" shaped, with multipart turrets on both parts.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think I had a single part flak turret on a (very) old model which rotated on the x-axis (i.e. was side mounted) to fire..... but I'm sure that multiparts need to have the barrel-part orientated straight along the y-axis.

Offline Raptor

Just to let you guys know, I've redone the Dorsla/Ventral turrets for the Aeolus.  Any other FS2 era craft I do would use these.

Twin Flak to the left, triple plasma to the right.  All the Parts are interchangeable;) All parts are now UVmapped to boot.  Hopefully I won't mess these ones up like I did with the last set.:nervous:

Concerning the Aeolus, I'm seriously considering removing that cut away above the forward engines.  I'm not happy with it.

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
How about using the triple plasma turret on the top/bottom of the Orion class destroyer, because IIRC, i saw them on the Orion which was on the FreeSpace: Silent Threat boxart. aswell as in FS2.

Hey sandwich, you still got that L-shaped platform. Id like to have a look at it.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Sandwich
IIRC you CAN do multipart turrets on the sides of a ship as well as top and bottom - they just need to be aligned to the XYZ axes.

No, stratcomm is right. Technically, you CAN, but they'll completly mess up while rotating.
SCREW CANON!