Author Topic: Return of the.....  (Read 20846 times)

Offline Raptor

I was not going to post about this until I had done the UVmapping, but I'm running out of ideas...

It's about my attempt to remake the Aeolus cruiser.
Previous thread:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,20322.0.html

Latest screenshot:

Excuse the size, it wouldn't reduce nicely...

I've redone the 'neck' and reduced the smoothing along the egdes, they were wasting polgons.  The ring in the 'neck' is meant to be the dock point.

Any futher thoughts people?  I get the feeling somethings missing, but I can't think what....:doubt:
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
EDIT: nvm, looking pretty good :)

But add more detail to the "nose" of the ship!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I just love your turrets.

The mesh looks pretty good too.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Raptor
Any futher thoughts people?  I get the feeling somethings missing, but I can't think what....:doubt:

Gimme the mesh. I'll show you what's missing. Unfortunately, It'll lose all its UV Mapping in the process.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Raptor

Re: Re: Return of the.....
Originally posted by mikhael

Gimme the mesh. I'll show you what's missing. Unfortunately, It'll lose all its UV Mapping in the process.

Okay, since it dosn't have any UVmapping yet (the Dorsal/Ventral turrets do...).

Do you want the turrets as well, or just the hull?

Expect PM with link.
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Havock

I always thought the eauolus missed something, but it's something like a bridge.
there are NO windows at all :p

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
*cheesy brit accent* Brilliant!!
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline diamondgeezer

*corny Merrycan accent*

Lookin' mighty fine. Boy howdy.

You know, given factors such as the awful mapping on the V version and the lack of windows and what not, I have to suggest that a remap from scratch may be in order? It'd be a terrible shame to simply slap the V maps on this spanking new cruiser :nod:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The original Aeolus mapjob was an effing travesty, may i add.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
yes, one of the weirdest examples of mapping

Offline Raptor

*pats Lilith UVunwrap*:D

Trust me, I have no intension of simply slapping on the terrible orginal mapping.;)

Just waiting to see what Mikhael does...

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
you could model some windows lines on the nose btw, to simulate a bridge

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Or minor window indents..... the original Aeolus doesn't have any windows, does it?

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
yes, I was thinking at window indents too, placed in lines at the top and the sides of the nose, indents like those I made for the fenris

Offline Raptor

Thats is possible, maybe I'll do that, If Mikhael dosn't.

Say Mik, any thing happening?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
More detail on the engine section maybe... hard to say from a side view, though.

Offline diamondgeezer

The more you look at the Aelous, the more you realise quite how badly it was executed. I mean, it has to be one of V's best concepts yet they slaughtered it when it came to actually putting in the game. It has to hold some sort of record for good concept:bad execution ratio :nod:

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
actually I like a lot the aeolus concept. Maybe it isn't that original, it makes me think at the nebulon frigate from star wars, an helicopter and some other stuff, but indeed it's cool.
If you ask me what's the worst realized concept in the fs2 shipset, the aeolus would be one of most probable winners, with the hecate probably

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

(very old ship)

Was based on the concept art that became the Aeolus.  Anyone who wants the pof, can 'ave it.  i'm not using it any more.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Make a Hi-Poly more Aeolus looking version of that, and it will rock :)

I dont mind changing the looks of some FS2 ships around, as some of them are really crappy (Aeolus is one of them).
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.