Author Topic: Freespace 2: First Person Shooter  (Read 46434 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Freespace 2: First Person Shooter
Originally posted by Flaser
Armored Exoskeleton with a kick-ass multidirectional jetpack for use in zero-G.

Without any of the two don't even dream of battling them...just bring along a tank and hope they don't carve you out of it.

I dunno - they managed to kill a few on the Iceni, after all.......

The Doom 3 or Half-Life 2 engine should be used for a fps project.

YES! The Half Life 2 engine! They said it is FULLY modable, so then we can come up with some FREAKIN KICK ASS idea! Dude, thats an awesome thought. But really: Let's say that we wanted to try that idea where we caught Shivans, AGAIN! Then we can go on there for a second time. Or, we have an idea where the Shivan's board a derilect ship (kinda like the Covenant on Halo, when they board the Piller of Autumn) and they try and slaughter everyone. You run your ass over to the armory, get a rifle, and then just start hangin out around the ship with the rest of your marine buddies. Just kinda stick it out until you kill em all. I like new ideas, and this is a GREAT one! :lol:

I don't know why, but the Shivans in Hallfight remind me a lot of the Cyborg Ninja/Grey Fox from Metal Gear Solid.

Meh, stay on topic here people. I am getting a free copy of Half Life 2 becuz I got a Radeon 9600 XT, so, I'm set there. If I can get the MOD tools going, then others can get it too and we can start up on this thought. For now, we can lay out plans for a level design...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
you could design & make the models first.... they'll be the most vital part, and also the only thing that can be done at present.   It'd possibly a bit more productive than planning levels at present (simplyas there is no map editor to test the capabilities of).... although Valve did promise to release mod tools prior to release, IIRC.

Can also use high-poly models as a basis for detail maps on the game models, as Doom 3 does (not sure about HL2, I assume ti would too...?).

Half Life 2 is going have freakin cutting edge graphics, so we dont have to worry about that. But now, I have to get into a WHOLE nother profession. First it was teaching mofo's how to MOD with Starcraft (easy as pie when you have the right tools. A little bit of Arsenall III, some MOD openers, and a TBL modifyer and you're on your way) and then I got Freespace 2 and FRED was my NEW profession, and then after that I got struck in the ass with Aliens vs Predator 2, and IMEDIATELY got into mapmaking with really really nice atomspheric effects using DEdit. (My first FPS Map editor) I tell ya, things change over long periods of time. Hell, I even got into Flash and started making stick figure movies. They are pretty good, and maybe I can put them on my webspace if you guys feel like seeing them. But now, when you guys say that making models is kinda easy. How do you do it though? What are the steps involved? I mean like, you make a basic geometric shape, right? Then you mesh it (or texture it. whatever you call it) and then you just uh... I dont know...

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
How about this engine instead?

http://www.radonlabs.de/

It's what I'm using for my game.

Also:

http://mods.moddb.com/834/

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
Half Life 2 is going have freakin cutting edge graphics, so we dont have to worry about that. But now, I have to get into a WHOLE nother profession. First it was teaching mofo's how to MOD with Starcraft (easy as pie when you have the right tools. A little bit of Arsenall III, some MOD openers, and a TBL modifyer and you're on your way) and then I got Freespace 2 and FRED was my NEW profession, and then after that I got struck in the ass with Aliens vs Predator 2, and IMEDIATELY got into mapmaking with really really nice atomspheric effects using DEdit. (My first FPS Map editor) I tell ya, things change over long periods of time. Hell, I even got into Flash and started making stick figure movies. They are pretty good, and maybe I can put them on my webspace if you guys feel like seeing them. But now, when you guys say that making models is kinda easy. How do you do it though? What are the steps involved? I mean like, you make a basic geometric shape, right? Then you mesh it (or texture it. whatever you call it) and then you just uh... I dont know...

Not um graphics, just so you have a knowledge of how big the levels can be (affecting structure), and what you can do - y;know, to maximise use of the editor.

Modelling...iI start with a cube, and work outwards, extruding it.....  it's a very abstract process - but if you can use an FPS editor, it shouldn't be too hard to move onto.  Based solely on my somewhat brief experiences with COD radient, the 2 major differences are
 - need to learn how uv mapping works
 - need to learn how to model and optimise per face / vertice
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 06:13:01 pm by 181 »

It SHOULD or SHOULDNT be too hard to move into?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
oops :o

shoudn't

So then, when do we get started?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
EDIT: Never mind.

Good news everyone! I got a crack for 3DS Max where I used my Serial to get the CORRECT Authorization Code. I could either wait for a response from the guys at the company, or just the the crack to fill in the blanks and it generates the correct one for me. So then, bring it on!

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there were a bunch of things made for FSFPS, you can have them if you want them
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline LAM3O

Make it a TRIBES mod. It'll be fun air dueling shivans while jumping between warships in space.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
I think we should mod it from Duke Nukem Forever.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Bah! Duke Nukem forever my ass... Half Life 2 is coming out first isnt it? I think we should probably use that, mainly for the fact that it looks so good...

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
The chances of a Freespace FPS being completed are precisely equal to the chances of Duke Nukem Forever being released. Thus, DNF is the perfect engine for FS:FPS.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Fractux

Regardless of whether such a project can ever get done, one thing I would like to see is a Shivan running around in the Doom3 engine.... that would be an experience...

/me runs off to watch hallfight again....
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?