Author Topic: Revised system requirements  (Read 8472 times)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Revised system requirements
With FS_Open being improved as it is, it's also growing more demanding for system resources.  My current system is pretty low-tech (P4 1.8 Ghz, onboard graphics (32 MB), 128 MB RAM) and while it could once run FSO pretty well, some enhancements are just too hefty for it to handle.  My video isn't compatible with HT&L, playing in 32-bit mode makes things sluggish to the point where I have to turn off things like background effects to make up for lost framerate, and I can't even consider using extras like Lightspeed's planets and nebulae.  It's reached the point where I've stopped using FSO, until the purchase of my new system in June.

My question is this: provided I wanted to play FSO with all the bells and whistles (Lightspeed's stuff, HT&L, fully-rendered modeled-to-scale Shivans that drift out of damaged ships, and so on), what kind of system requirements would I be looking at to ensure that everything runs smoothly?
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I would say the main weakness in your system there is the graphics card, it's that which is taking most of the strain, especially since the introduction of HT&L.

I run a 1700XP, which is roughly 1.4 Gigs, and I recently changed cards from a GeForce4 MX440 to a FX5600. The difference was very noticeable. I would say the game would run sweet as anything on a 1Ghz pc, probably slower, as long as it had a good amount of memory and a good graphics card.

Offline Starks

FS2 Vanilla Minimum Requirements:

Pentium 200Mhz

32 Mb RAM

Win 95/98/ME/NT

3D Graphics Accelerator (supports Glide or D3D)

250Mb Hard Drive Space

8X or faster CD-ROM Drive

Direct Sound compliant sound card

100% Microsoft-compatible mouse (joystick recommended)

FS2_Open RECOMMENDED Requirements:

Pentium 733Mhz or Athlon equivalent

128MB RAM

3D Graphics CARD (supports OGL or D3D)

300MB Hard Drive Space

8X or faster CD-ROM Drive

Direct Sound compliant sound card

100% Microsoft-compatible mouse (joystick recommended)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 08:24:41 pm by 1169 »
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline Fractux

I would put Fs2_Open's minimum requirements higher with respect to the amount of RAM needed in the system as well as on the video card. [like 256MB of Ram as an absolute minimum, and 32MB absolute minimum on the videocard]. Although, I for recommend  requirment would put more than 256MB of ram and a 64MB graphics card.

As far as hard drive space goes, i would add like 500MB, because when I play, the memory usage goes up to like 700MB's, though I haven't checked on recent builds.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 08:47:36 pm by 1248 »
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline Starks

My specs are as follows.

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
      Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Professional
      OS Service Pack                                   None
      Internet Explorer                                 6.0.2600.0000 (IE 6.0 - Windows XP)
      Computer Name                                     EAPPLE
      User Name                                         Eric
      Logon Domain                                      EAPPLE

Motherboard:
      CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium IIIE, 733 MHz (5.5 x 133)
      Motherboard Name                                  Intel Cayman CA810  (4 PCI, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
      Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Whitney i810E
      System Memory                                     384 MB  (SDRAM)
      BIOS Type                                         AMI (09/05/01)
      Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
      Communication Port                                Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
      Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200  (128 MB)
      3D Accelerator                                    Intel i752
      3D Accelerator                                    nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
      Monitor                                           Dell E770s  (2010V07VB7RY)

Multimedia:
      Audio Adapter                                     Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES1371) Sound Card

Storage:
      Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive
      Disk Drive                                        Maxtor 6E040L0  (40 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
      Disk Drive                                        QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM10.2  (10 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)
      Optical Drive                                     AXV CD/DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device  (Virtual DVD-ROM)
      Optical Drive                                     LG CD-RW CED-8080B  (8x/4x/32x CD-RW)

Partitions:
      C: (NTFS)                                         9718 MB (1127 MB free)
      D: (NTFS)                                         39205 MB (26911 MB free)

Input:
      Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
      Mouse                                             Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2
      Game Controller                                   Microsoft PC-joystick driver

Network:
      Primary IP Address                                192.168.1.100
      Primary MAC Address                               00-04-5A-8B-D5-2C
      Network Adapter                                   PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter(9513)  (192.168.1.100)

Peripherals:
      Printer                                           Auto HP DeskJet 895Cxi on JAPPLE
      Printer                                           HP DeskJet 930C/932C/935C
      Printer                                           Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
      USB Device                                        USB Human Interface Device

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
we didn't need to know
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
integrated graphics chipsets are a big no-no with any new game coming out these days.  I'd also recommend adding another 128MB of RAM just to speed things up
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
absolute minimum memory would be 128, recomended would be 1 gig
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

SCP will also hopefully become more efficient and fix the memory leaks and speed things up so virtual memory wouldn't be needed.  I'm getting VM usage using 512mb of RAM.  Usually it is the builds that test new features that are slow.
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
when you have 100 ships each one haveing an average of 2.5 materials, each of them haveing three textures averageig 768^2 with 32 bits per pixel, there is only so much memory you can clean up

textures alone is takeing up, 442 megabytes of ram
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
maybe that is the problem then? The number of textures need to be reduced....my poor old 64Mb card wont stand up against the onslaught of features for very much longer :(

FS2 used to be a game for the poor......now its becoming one designed only for those with $$ :P
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
When DDS is fully implemented we could possibly look at including the various effects textures into one or two files instead of five.  That should be a major memory savings.  

I know this is possible because they do it in HW2.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

You know, all those textures are floating around uncompressed right?  Is there any way to use some sort of compression on them?  Even a "light" compression would help a lot.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that's less developer frendly though, this is a game used mostly be people who know how to mod the hell out of it.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

However, it's meant to be played, by as many ordinary people as possible. Currently it isn't too appealing due to the growing requirements and resource hogging. It's an area that always calls for improvements, everywhere (except at Redmond).
Btw, Bob, for the sake of our sanity, please try to conjugate "having", "taking" and others right! *bangs head on wall*

I haven't tried several of the latest builds, but the general feel I have is that 256 megs of RAM is the minimum (which is what I have, running Win2k, and GF2 with 32 megs). I wouldn't want to imagine running FS2_Open with half of that!
The nick is not a typo, it's a pun.

@bobboau

I meant internally; it may take more time to load in the load screen, but in-game it may be a lot better (the little pauses when a new texture is loaded may be reduced and overal memory usage may be reduced).

I'd imagine using light DXTC compression (to avoid artifacts) would help if the game did it internally for formats that aren't already compressed.

Of course, this is based on a vague recollection of someone saying that DXTC compression isn't uncompressed into memory in-game while everything else is.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I don't think we can compress other textures on the fly
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

By "on-the-fly", do you mean "during-the-loading-screen"?

Darn.  But now that I think about, it'd take far too long to load anyways :(

Offline Starks

Originally posted by Singh
maybe that is the problem then? The number of textures need to be reduced....my poor old 64Mb card wont stand up against the onslaught of features for very much longer :(

FS2 used to be a game for the poor......now its becoming one designed only for those with $$ :P
I can feel your pain, but all these new features do come with a price... I bought my GFX 5200 PCI just to play Halo PC...

i have a Radeon 7k and can run the SCP at a  framereate of about 30-40 wiht everything except pcx32 enabled. spec mapping doesn't work on my card, so that  might be it.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm