Author Topic: New Beam effects  (Read 18491 times)

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Wait, what charge up are we talking about? I was under the impression that these things (coronas, flaers, whatever you call them) were displayed the entire time that the beam is shooting. Right? The only difference between chacrge up phase and firing phase is the sound and the fact that during the charge up phase there is no actual beam. Is that right, are have I just forgoten how it works?

And I'm with Krackers. Who cares about realism. FS2 is about as true to life as Quake is to an actual war. The criteria here is that it should look cool, and thats been accomplished wonderfully.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
To me, they look no less realistic than the thruster glows or anything else. As long as its subtle (and in most of these it is) than its fine. They don't look cartoony to me, they look almost identical to vanilla FS2 beam, only a bit more powerful.

Think EVE..

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
Originally posted by StratComm
It's not a realism thing as much as it is plausability.  AqueousShadow has the right idea in my opinion, the cartoony, spiky glows are not in keeping with the overall feel of the game.  They break the plausability threshold and that makes them look completely out of place.  Once cell shading is back in, the effect might be appropriate since it has a lot of the anime feel, but in the current (well lit) environment they just look wrong.

Im sorry, but for me, there is verry little plausibility in FS2 thats one of the reasons i love it so much.

I sudgest you all play Terminus, it shows how boring real life, or plausible, space fighting is.
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
DaBrain, I like your work too. :) I think the problem with all these patterned beam glows is that since they aren't animated, they have the same appearance and exactly the same flares and lines for every beam that is fired - which gets a bit repetitive. When animated beam glows come, that will be awesome. :nod:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I don't like Krackers' new Sunburst one. It's garish and overdone.

The Hazy Peach is good. Keep it.

The Fuzzy Yellow would be good if it was made yellow-orange instead of its current color, which reminds me of a seasick person's complexion.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by AqueousShadow
Sorry, but I'm with Lightspeed on this one. The beams are way too...not beam-ish. They don't look like a beam is charging up. Rather, they look sort of like...one of your glow-in-the-dark stars that you tack with gum onto your ceiling and you retro-fitted it to a FS2 beam.

If they animated so that the points revolved around the glow center or just kind of "shimmered", they would be btter.

Now about Woolie and Chrono. I am completely behind Woolie on just about all the points. The Lucifer was a weak ship. If you don't recall, somewhere mentioned that whatever Shivans the GTA and PVN fought during FS1 were only a taskforce (I believe it states that on the back of the original FS2 gamebox). Do you ever see the Lucy running in multiples? Hell no. But you have an assload of Sathani don't you? Lucy blew up Vasuda Prime. Sath blew up the Capella sun. Difference? Besides, you can't really call the Lucifer's beams...well, "beams." It was called the "Shivan Super Laser" for a reason. It was designed to completely mutilate the **** out of the Terrans and Vasudans, and also scare the **** out of them too (and it did that well, AT THE TIME). And besides, don't you think the Sath would easily take out a planet with its four forward beams (it DID take out an entire galaxy, although by supernova, still took it out).

First of all, the Sathanas did not take out a whole galaxy. It only destroyed a single star. To destroy the galaxy, they would need to do the Capella thing hundreds of billions of times over and then deal with other bodies there like molecular clouds and the giant mother****er of a black hole in the center.

Second, the Sathanas did not destroy Capella by conventional means. They used a subspace rift thingy instead of dumping ****loads of energy into the target using beam cannons. However, even a single Sath could have rendered Vasuda Prime in...let's see. The Lucy took 13 hours and had two beams doing 10000 damage with a fire wait of ten seconds each. A BFRed does 80850 damage with a fire wait of ten seconds and a Sath has four of them so...
[13(2)]/8.085/4
26/8.085/4
~0.803
....About 48 minutes with BFReds alone.

Just because the Lucifier took out an entire species (and who's to say it wasn't the Sathani instead), it doesn't mean it was UB3R advanced. It only had TWO beams. Besides, the Lucifer was probably the only thing the Shivans had back then (of course taking from your argument that the Sath probably didn't exist back then anyway). How can you say the Lucy is stronger just because you don't know that the Sath hasn't taken out an entire race?

Indeed. If it wasn't for the Bastion and the Nereid sealing off Capella, they WOULD have annihalated humanity.

The Prometheus cannon in FS1 can no way compare to that of FS2's. Why? Simply put, the Prometheus cannon never existed in FS2. There's a reason why there are the Prometheus R and S in FS2. Contrary to what you may believe, the Prometheus R (for Retro-fit) is a lot closer to the original FS1 Prometheus. They built that cannon from long ago, and because of lack of resources to continue building it, they built a retro-fit version for cost-effective purposes. The Prometheus S came around as an upgrade. And the main reason it's so different is because it's supposed to kick more ass than the FS1 cannon did. Besides, the FS1 cannon is half the size of that of the Prometheus S, primarily because the Prometheus S has a fatass extended...thing for, as I said, kicking ass. Can't really say it's a barrel 'cause it doesn't shoot two globs. It sucks a lot more energy too.

Not quite correct. The Prometheus R was an attempt to build a version of the Prometheus that doesn't use as much argon gas because such gas was in short supply before miners were deployed to the nebula. It fires more slowly, uses more energy, and does less damage (especially shield damage) than the original Prometheus or the S version. The S version was developed after the nebula was explored and was a version of the original upgraded to keep up with the times (thus its higher damage values).
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Krackers87

• 158 crew
added a link to download a zip of all my glows.
Put this in your profile if you know someone who is fighting, has survived, or has died from an awp no scope.

just like seventies goofballs
he's waiting on last calls
well listen method man
'cause if you leave on the last line
don't leave on the ground kind
born just a little too slow

Offline Havock

the sathani  and other shivan **** were around for a long, long time.

Lucifer seemed more like a "commando-destroyer" to me.
the shivans most likely observed the terrans/vasudans for some time (remember that the scanners didn't pick em up at first? who says the shivans would not have totally invisible-to-radar staelth ships too?) and saw that they only had green and yellow blobs to throw at each other with their warships.
"Hey, that won't get through that special shielded capship of ours, let's whack em!"
The lucy was very powerful because it came by surprise, it was big, and the TV's were used to a conventional outside of subspace fighting.
besides, when the lucy showed up, the only thing the TV's did was retreating :p

Offline Mav

Originally posted by ChronoReverse
First of all, I believe there's a Lucy in FS2 (not the Derelict one).  What's its weapons there?

As far as I recall it was armed with 2 SRed (changed that to BFRed for my purposes ;)  ) , though that's from the tbl - didn't look into the mission file Fred-wise.
As to where it appeared, I think I recall it to be in retail FS2 part of some supplement force you have to stop from jumping to the place of the main battle to prevent it from turning into a massacre, with an SD Demon arriving before or after it in your location.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 01:58:37 pm by 1266 »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
That was Bearbaiting, with the Sath.  The lucifer never appeared in FS2 retail, and with good reason... it's mapping is aweful if you don't use the FS1 textures and the registry hack.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Mav

That was Bearbaiting, with the Sath.  The lucifer never appeared in FS2 retail, and with good reason... it's mapping is aweful if you don't use the FS1 textures and the registry hack.

???? :confused:

I'm pretty sure it was in the (retail) mission I mentioned above, though it didn't draw very much attention and also wasn't shielded (thinking that the FS1 Lucy propably was some sort of testbed ship :)  ).
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
It most certainly wasn't in the retail campaign.  The only Shivan destroyers you ever see are Ravanas and Demons.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
1. The FS2 Lucy has Shivan Super Lasers, but it was never used in the campaign and cannot be included in this comparison.
2. Wrong. The FS1 ships carried over have the same shield and armor ratings as in FS1. By your theory, this means their shields and armor would be weaker than they were 32 years ago, which makes no sense. The Prometheus S is NOT exactly the same as the original. It sounds different and its loadout animation looks different.
3. WOW, IT'S NOT LIKE THEY COULD HAVE MADE THE PROJECTILE GO FASTER, IS IT?:rolleyes:
4. I'm not quite sure.

1) False, it did use them, in the destruction of your main ship (the Galatea, correct?)

2) You are wrong. They did change, and most of the ships got about a 10 % shield + armor boost.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
1) Was talking about the lack of the Lucifer's appearance in canon FS2, and thus the illigetimacy of the tables provided for it.

1)

Uh, does it matter? Of course, to the shivans the Lucifer started to be a liability while in subspace. So there would be no point in shielding it. Thus, taking her out of service.
Anyway, the Ravana and the Sathanas Juggernaut clearly out-class the Lucifer in any way. Even the Rakshasa would.

Perhaps the Lucifer was just a prototype, like, for example, the Klingon Bird of Prey that fires when cloaked. Only that when it was destoyed the project was no more.....

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
If those flux cannons it used in FS1 could take out an Orion in a single volley, the Lucifer is hardly outclassed by any Shivan destroyer encountered in either game.  The Lucy also was a substantially better fighterbase than the Demon, so that has to be taken into consideration as well.  And the tables are still not legitimately balanced for use in FS2 (as are the entries for the Hades, for the same reasons) since the ship never actually wound up in a mission.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Originally posted by Unknown Target

1) False, it did use them, in the destruction of your main ship (the Galatea, correct?)

2) You are wrong. They did change, and most of the ships got about a 10 % shield + armor boost.

1) WRONG. He said FS2. Galatea is FS1 man...FS1!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Lets be gentile to the newbie :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Lets be gentile to the newbie :p

We are. It's UT who's getting the rough handling and he's been around long enough to know better :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Turambar's beams win this particular contest IMO - they look close to FS2s, but are definitely upgraded. And yes Mik, that is a good thing :).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp