No
2 (2.3%)
Maybe so
12 (14%)
Huh?
3 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: April 12, 2004, 05:12:47 am

Author Topic: New Subspace Tunnel Model?  (Read 44028 times)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
New Subspace Tunnel Model?
I have an idea.

I have no idea as to implementation, or the kind of artwork that would be required, or how many layers or whatnot would be needed, but I just had this idea, and I want to post it before it disappears.

Keep the visible portions of subspace--the blue "walls".  Maybe change the color, but that might offend the purists, so put that aside, for now.  I want to address the dark "gaps" between the subspace wall itself.

Would it be possible to replace this darkness with another image?  Or, to add a lightning-like "flashing" effect that would flicker every so often, to illuminate the darkened region?

I'm envisioning fighters traveling through subspace, engaged in a battle of some kind.  The swirling walls rotate around them, spinning and spinning, but beyond the subspace barrier, there's something else.  Something briefly lit up by each flash of light... or bathed in low, red, constant illumination:

Silhouettes of Shivan craft.  Battleships.  Destroyers.  An armada of shadows, within sight, and yet out of reach.  Drifting.  Waiting.

Watching. :nervous:

The classic designs can be seen, the black outline of Sathani, Cains, and perhaps Lucifers against the lighter background.

Along with other craft that dwarf anything previously seen in the Shivan fleet...

Just rambling, I know.  But still, I think it'd look cool.  :blah:
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well if a new jump animation that could capture the feel of the origonal, I'd be all for it, but makeing some huge visable change is like saying, "hey lets make the orion all smooth and curvy, and I know lets paint it green and white while were at it!".
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, possibly the 'travelling without moving' effect from Dune would be more along the lines of what you need? ;)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
I'm all for a better warp.pof, though I like the ones we already have.  It's something of a minor effect, and hard to innovate improvements for, barring the addition of some new eye-candy like a rotating vortex or bolts of energy or itty-bitty pieces of debris getting sucked in/expelled or something. :p
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Bobboau
well if a new jump animation that could capture the feel of the origonal, I'd be all for it, but makeing some huge visable change is like saying, "hey lets make the orion all smooth and curvy, and I know lets paint it green and white while were at it!".

Actually, no, its not.

What is the jump animation? Its a swirly vortex that opens and the ship passes through. It captures the 'feel' of a ship jumping out. So does the Babylon 5 hyperspace vortex (in or out). They both "capture the feel".

That's entirely different from, say, putting together a jump animation that involves the ship disintegrting into poly shards and having them disperse (your 'lets make the orion all smooth and curvy'). It doesn't 'capture the feel'.

And like I said before (and I'll even bold and italicise it so you won't miss it this time):

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE NEW EFFECTS THAT PEOPLE PUT TOGETHER, DO NOT USE THEM.

By the same token, don't seek to stifle someone else's creativity, just because you don't think something will look like YOU envision the game. It accomplishes nothing of value, except, perhaps for the person doing the stifling by inflating his or her pathetic self-esteem.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

True, but someone has to decide what to put in the official vp and generally things that look too different aren't accepted.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Give me a few days, and I'll have a subspace mesh. :nod:  I wanna do something constructive for the community.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
True, but someone has to decide what to put in the official vp and generally things that look too different aren't accepted.

There's a world of difference between deciding what ends up in an 'official media vp' and say "NO DO NOT DO THIS! IT IS NOT IN THE SPIRIT OF TEH FREESPACE!!!!!!111!1!11111 I DO NOT LIEK IT SUR!!11!". We get precious little of the former and a metric asston of the latter.

It doesn't take more than a few minutes slogging through the history of the SCP forum, or even the FS Modding forum to find examples of people getting abused for suggesting deviations from stock FS.

Its pathetic. Its like now that everyone has the source and has the opportunity to do things with it, they've all forgotten everything they ever wrote into an FS2 and FS3 wishlist.

Eh? Who was going like that?  I see some people stating they don't like the idea of change or that it shouldn't be changed, but I don't see any abuse going on...

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
I'm not referring to JUST this thread. I'm referring to a multitude over the history of the SCP. The responses in this thread just sort of annoyed me to the point of *****ing about it.

Let me repeat the pertinent part of my post that you seem to have missed:

Originally posted by mikhael
It doesn't take more than a few minutes slogging through the history of the SCP forum, or even the FS Modding forum to find examples of people getting abused for suggesting deviations from stock FS.

I see.

But pertaining to this particular thread, it would still be a better idea to improve subspace in a manner that doesn't change it too much.  Those pictures of the swirly tunnels fall within the reasonable if they could be done.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by Antares
Would it be possible to replace this darkness with another image?  Or, to add a lightning-like "flashing" effect that would flicker every so often, to illuminate the darkened region?

I'm envisioning fighters traveling through subspace, engaged in a battle of some kind.  The swirling walls rotate around them, spinning and spinning, but beyond the subspace barrier, there's something else.  Something briefly lit up by each flash of light... or bathed in low, red, constant illumination:

Silhouettes of Shivan craft.  Battleships.  Destroyers.  An armada of shadows, within sight, and yet out of reach.  Drifting.  Waiting.

I don't think it'd be appropriate for most subspace missions, but as an available option... oh God yes. Would there be some way to allow you to put ships behind the background in order to do this? Or would you have to build it into the background?

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
I see.

But pertaining to this particular thread, it would still be a better idea to improve subspace in a manner that doesn't change it too much.  Those pictures of the swirly tunnels fall within the reasonable if they could be done.

You'll find I advocated nothing else with respect to the subspace tunnel.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Whether or not the improvement looks much like the original subspace won't really matter, because only mods and the FSPort will be using the improvement. Even if it were flying cows, you could play through the main FS2 campaign without noticing anything different.
-C

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
Originally posted by Antares

The classic designs can be seen, the black outline of Sathani, Cains, and perhaps Lucifers against the lighter background.

Along with other craft that dwarf anything previously seen in the Shivan fleet...

that would be creepy! :shaking:

that also sounds great for a campaign. somethin like the final incursion by the Shivans.
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
About the node ani, I don't have much pb with it, at least, it sure looks better than the Babylon5 one :p
But for the corridor, I have no problem with a complete redesign, coz you can say whatever you want, the only though V put into it was using a  photoshop cloud layer and put the tint to blue. Well at least it tiles, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much :doubt:
SCREW CANON!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I'm all for it, and highter res maps too. Has everyone forgotten about Homesick already? :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
dunno whats wrong with the current subspace. the wishy washy feeling makes it look nice (at least, IMO) and it serves its purpose.

A better warp.pof would be nice, but nothing something that causes too much of a slowdown please :)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
There's nothing really wrong, but that's the kind of thing that can really be made to look super :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I disagree. The res of the textures is wrong. I mean, look at Thunder's pic. Yuck.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp