No
2 (2.3%)
Maybe so
12 (14%)
Huh?
3 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: April 12, 2004, 05:12:47 am

Author Topic: New Subspace Tunnel Model?  (Read 44027 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
New Subspace Tunnel Model?
Ok. Alot of talk, with little results.

I made the polies alot less visible, but without new maps, it's doomed to look Horrid.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Oops. Forgot the files.

Also, 'Kalfireth', the reason Fred crashes for you is because you're missing the subspace game pallette.  I included it in this zip file for everyone. Though I'm sure it's available in atleast three other places.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
that model, Raa: can you post a screen of it untextured? and does it rotate?
It gives me a horrible idea. ;)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmmm.... Is it me, or does the SCP load PCX's from VP's in preference to .ANI's from the maps folder? I created a Noise01.ani for this but FS2 refuses to see it....wierd!

Offline J3Vr6

wow, that picture made me dizzy.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
The game makes it rotate itself. It has no pof data, but one rotates within the other...

This is just a simple 'chube'.  I took it and tapered it, and this is how the chube looks now. (I like typing with an accent, sue me.)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by mikhael
that model, Raa: can you post a screen of it untextured? and does it rotate?
It gives me a horrible idea. ;)

See, if we made each model that the game makes rotate to have a rotating BG subsystem... ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
You wanna have a more than 2 levels? I dunno if that'd work...  Worth a try though.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Is Subspace supposed to go backward? It's been so long since I played FS1! Also, a Noise01.pcx will replace the texture, but a Noise01.ani won't for some reason :(

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
so how many polys is that, Raa?

This is all leading up to something. ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Heh, I decided to play it safe and up it from 125 to 470-something... and my FPS weren't hit at all. It stayed at 60 the whole time, it's just the screenshot function takes alot of performance...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Something really needs to be done with the "ends" of subspace.  That terminus doesn't look at all good, though it's probably no different from :V:'s method.  Maybe leave a hole at the end?
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Just put a sun there, that's what V did...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I liked the original one, too. My only problem was that the texture looked blurry.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
How about something like this:

Rotate it slightly off the main axis. The twist keeps the terminal points of subspace out of sight. It also allows subspace to occlude itself, which can only help lend a stomach-lurching quality to it. If you give it a partially transparent map, with a couple of surrounding simple cylinders with odd effects on them, you can add the requisite parallax effects. :)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
mmh, that could be spiffy :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by mikhael
How about something like this:

Rotate it slightly off the main axis. The twist keeps the terminal points of subspace out of sight. It also allows subspace to occlude itself, which can only help lend a stomach-lurching quality to it. If you give it a partially transparent map, with a couple of surrounding simple cylinders with odd effects on them, you can add the requisite parallax effects. :)

I support the straight one. Crvy subspace tunnel?

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I like Mik's model :)

Could we have a in-game capable version of that? :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Lightspeed
I like Mik's model :)

Yeah, model's good, but the aesthetics ..

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, I could get an ANI together, where it not for the fact that FS2 has to load static images before animations :(

Hmmm.... off to try something :)

Hmmm... Crossed a bridge.... found a cliff.

I changed the name of the texture using Modelview to an ANI file I'd created. It only displays the first frame :( So it's static images only I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 05:34:44 pm by 394 »