Author Topic: Nukes?  (Read 12671 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Wasn't the Helios anti-matter?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The Tsunami was, the Helios is meson - an 2 kvark particle, that very unstable.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Flaser
The Tsunami was, the Helios is meson - an 2 kvark particle, that very unstable.

Nope

The GTM-13 Helios is the product of an entire generation of high-energy physics research, based primarily at the GTVA particle accelerator complex near Antares. The most powerful warhead in the fleet's arsenal, the Helios generates a massive shockwave from the cataclysmic annihilation of matter and anti-matter, triggered upon impact with its target. Each bank of Helios warheads can fire only once every 30 seconds. The Helios is prohibitively expensive to produce, thus its deployment is severely restricted."
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by wojta
Explosions are too little for such bombs.
The explosion of nuclear bomb could destroy everything in 50km diameter. These explosions would be unusable in the game such as real physics.

Actually, a H bomb (more powerful than the regular nuke), has a blast radius of about 7 km, if I remember correctly. Most of the devistation comes from the radiation and the shockwave. We can assume that FS2 ships are hardened against radiation (because they have to withstand cosmic rays), and their are no shockwaves in space, sooo...that makes nukes pretty much innefective.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Put simply: Gas-expansion weapons don't work in space. You need a nukes raw energy release to even make a dent.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
This is pretty much solved, so here's another question,  
Is it possible to hear the things we hear in freespace like explosions and flybyes??  Also, Beams are visible aren't they, even though corrent light does not show, itstill gives of light we can see wehn talking about proton energy weapons.
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
All of the laser weapons are bull**** science wise: it's only in atmospehere or water where the high energy beam would have to ionise the environment where you could see the beams.

Even then these would be a long continous stream from the barrel to the target - just like the beam weapons in FS.

A laser/electro-magnetic wave weapon would be invisible in space. All you would notice is the flare of the gun barrels and the shimmer of the heat sinks on the attacker and the sudden melt in the receivers armor. Furthermore these would be effectivly point-hit weapons, so anything in the target reticle would immediately get hit. A miss is still posible though since it takes time to charge the guns, and in reality the weapons would have to be actually aimed by computers, since some sort of adjustable convergence would be more than necessary - especially since the very beam you fire should be focused on the target as well or it will have minimal effect.

Beam weapons on the other hand look apropiate - they fire high powered plasma - BUT although you should be able to see it, this plasma should behave like a projectile, so unless it is fired from a very powerfull accelerator coil, it would have a little tendancy curve as a flamthrower's flame does.

As for the sound in space: Radio interference. High powered fusion engines, as well as high energy electro-magnetic equipment create readio noise that can interfere with the frequencies on which your flighradio operate.

This is actually a "welcome" fault in the system since it helps the pilot to give him more bearings.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not to mention that it would be completely possible for a computer to invent the sounds and play them to the pilot as a way of indicating danger behind him etc.

Offline SanKor

just like when a bomb is detonated near, there is that "warning" type sound played

I'd imagine that FS-era bombs direct most of their yield forward through the point of impact when they hit a ship's hull, while the shockwave is a secondary effect. It's the only real way to explain why a Harbinger with over thousands more times the firepower of the most primitive nuclear weapons doesn't have a shockwave the size of the play area. :)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
But it's in space...

The blast radius/shockwave of a space-born munition is strictly proportional to how far the little pieces of debris from the bomb do significant damage.  The wave itself is only propogated if there is some form of medium.  Otherwise, the detonation only serves to heat up whatever it hits.  In some cases (and with a large enough bomb) the target may partially vaporize, causing an outlet of vapor in all directions away from the point of impact and creating a pseudo-shockwave, but this wouldn't be nearly as big as the blast wave created from thermal expansion of a weapon in the atmosphere.

And for the record, I think the A-bombs deployed in WWII had a yield of either .5kT or 1.5kT.  But the yeild/damage ratio isn't linear for weapons in the kT+ range either, so a megaton bomb wouldn't destroy an area 1000 times as great as a kiloton weapon.

EDIT:  And the Harbringer was originally a planetary-bombardment weapon, modified to be carried by a bomber.  So it would make sense for it to be 1) insanely powerful and 2) less advanced than the newer Tsunami.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by aldo_14
EDIT; and by the last line in the description (as well as being 5000Mt!! :eek: ), the Harbringer sounds almost like a planetkiller

IIRC, it's mentioned that Harbingers were adapted from a planetary bombardment weapon. Which goes to say that ground combat in the V-T war was especially brutal...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Harbringer had a 5 gigaton payload, damn.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

hiroshime was 15kt, IIRC/AFAIK

the biggest thing they can make right now is a Russian beast of a 100 Megatons, but standard range is mostly noted in megatons.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Which makes the Harbinger 50 times more powerful the the biggest H-Bombs ever built.

Kind of shows why the GTVA doesn't use standard nukes :D

yeah.

that data, and that one tech entry with the energy output in joules for one of the primary's, someone could/should calculate the average power of FS shields and hull plating.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
a megaton is 4.2 petajoule, start calculating...
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
4.18 petajoules, to be 10 times more exact :D

the guy who wrote the tech room database entries wasn't paying one bit of attention to the actual in game values. according to the tech room, a harbinger is over 300,000 times as powerful as an MX-50, while the actual .tbl values are nothing so outrageous.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
My MS Paint oracle told me Things about how the FS weapons were made.
lol wtf

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
that looks like a bottle of liquid spam.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH