Author Topic: Nukes?  (Read 12612 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, we at TI will be pretending this info doesn't exist for a while, else the whole planetary MOD is pointless, you wouldn't need to take out ground installations, you'd just send in a Myrmidon or the like with a big missile and shoot in the general vicinity ;) And hope like hell you remember that you WILL get a shockwave this time ;)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Stunaep

Somehow, that sentence disturbs me.

Maybe that's because it reads stunaep rof ylf t'nac ohw elpoeP )B when written backwards and therefore is obviously a klingon insult aimed at you :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by karajorma

Maybe that's because it reads stunaep

Wait... Stunaep is Peanuts backwards? When did this happen? :p
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Like... years ago? :p
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Lightspeed
Like... years ago? :p

Of course :p

I am truly suprised this is the first time (AFAIK) that we noticed...

AHTW

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Wow, that's more interesting than the thread topic. :p

Hmm... nomlooC? omg. Num lock. :D
-C

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Wow, that's more interesting than the thread topic. :p

Hmm... nomlooC? omg. Num lock. :D

:lol:

And anyway, I always thought the Treb/PV were good at shooting down those damned SF Dragons when you're in like, a Medusa. Bastards were too fast...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 11:45:05 pm by 835 »

Trebs are the most effective secondary weapon for fighting AI or Bad pilots like I said.
Even in a bomber you'd never hit a good pilot with trebs unless it was more than 2v1 because;

If they're close enough for the treb to be undodgable, the bomber should have you in morningstar lock, you wont be able to lock on then.

If they're not close enough to get a reliable morning star lock -- They're at a range where they can dodge the missile.

No other scenario is valid ¬.¬
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
tut tut QD, always give out flying tips :D
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
They can always lock far away and then go "straight" at you...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Do trebs need lock, I seem to recall most bombers I took out with trebuchet were by screaming up behind them on afterburners and piling 2 unguided trebs into their tails, no warning, and very little defence.

And also, this is entirely assuming that the guy with the trebs is your single and only concern during a mission, and that you've not got other things distracting you :)

Originally posted by Ghostavo
They can always lock far away and then go "straight" at you...

The URSA Pilot would have to be pretty stupid.
In any situation like that;
If pilot A has been flying straight at you (as a good pilot you should be keeping track of EVERY SINGLE SHIP on the battlefield) for an extended period of time and have not been firing secondary missiles, they are most likely going to try to use one of my old favourite (56k) tricks, and dump them into you at the last second.

Rarely works, since Pilot As plan is obvious from the outset, your evasion pattern should begin before the missiles are actually fired, once fired, the missiles will still attempt to follow you through the evasion pattern, hense, missing.

....If you can evade properly (pls note; no aspect seeking missiles in this game hit me when I'm flying anything more manuverable than a sekhmet, and, this is without CMs (disclaimer; I can't dodge EVERYTHING if they are so well aimed/fired with such skill (eg; predicting my flight pattern in such a way and fired from a SPECIFIC distance at a SPECIFIC angle, they may well hit me, but never enough for a kill, and never more than one volley of anything other than POSSIBLY rockeyes and usually, Tempests, or when pinned with morning star (occasional, exceptional pilots)) that is.

Flying a fighter of any description excluding the Ares, I can avoid everything except harpoons and hornets (torns are fine), using TWO SINGLE KEYS on my keyboard.

Using four or more keys I can avoid 4 herc mk2s worth of missile banks of missiles of your choice excluding the two above from ANY ANGLE simultaneously(Unless missiles are fired from exceptionally skilled pilots, and/or morningstar users combining primary, with secondary fire).

Flipside;
Dumbfire "aspects" are pretty useful on occasion, but, that is the occasion... a good pilot would be aware of your position and, if they couldn't shake you completely;
They wouldn't be flying in a straight enough line for you to dumbfire anything other than possibly temps :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 06:43:25 pm by 456 »
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
Why 10Gs?  Are you playing to fly in Jupiter?

Ha ha. Switched units on myself midsentence. 'cause 1g=10m/s/s.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Getting back to the nuking aspect of this thread...

What about Beam Weapons?
I recall a video in FS in which the Lucifer (I think) fired upon Vasuda Prime and leveled an entire city (and then some) with what looked like a beam weapon. Was that a standard beam weapon the lucifer uses or what? I don't recall a planetary weapon on the subsystems of the lucifer....just the damn superlasers it had...
You're gonna carry that weight...

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
The superlasers were a primative beam, sortof added at last minute by [V]... It appears that an attempt at beams was made during fs1, because of the #beam weapons tag in the weaons table... The superlaser is well represented in the FSPort, though the regular Shivan Super Laser is there too...

AHTW

How does Lucy vs Sath line up main gun vs main gun?

All I remember is the Lucy's main gun being able to kill a Orion in like 3 hits? o.O

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Do it in fred...
Even though the Sath. wins, or at least I think it does
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Not if it has the invincible tag :D
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
How does Lucy vs Sath line up main gun vs main gun?

All I remember is the Lucy's main gun being able to kill a Orion in like 3 hits? o.O

The sath reduces the phoenicia (sp) to at least 3% hull with one shot. I don't know if it was on 100% hull to start with though but I think so. In which case the Sath would win easily.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
Why 10Gs?  Are you playing to fly in Jupiter?
Modern fightercraft can pull 9G maneuvers, limited only by the pilot's endurance.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.