Author Topic: 3D Cockpits  (Read 10336 times)

Offline Sticks

Ok, ok. Enough with the personal attacks. I can see having disagreements about genres, but the personal attacks are not needed. And, as Langy pointed out, this is all completely a thread hijack anyhow.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Well I just miss the reasoning behind the fact that since QD is ( supposed to be ) good in multi, shooters are better than  sims :doubt:

So, a good game, by the reasoning behind your posts, is a game that offers no challenge when you've mastered it? Sorry, a game like that is not a good game to me, it's a game that goes straight to the trash bin and he's replaced with something else.

I'm modding FS2 coz I don't like how it is anymore, I don't like the Look, the plot, and how it plays. What I still like ( love ) is that what we don't like, we can change. And for my part, I want a more realistic FS2. And I believe I'm not the only one.

And a more realistic FS2, to me, needs stuff like 3d cockpits. And then I ( and others probably ) will keep bugging the poor SCP dudes to get other things that go into the same mindset, things that you won't like.

There's a few things in the SCP I don't like, you see, the thing is, NOTHING forces me to use them, since they can be turned off. I never complained about those, actually, I even said everything should be turned on by default, regardless of if I like them or not ( well, now that I can actually TRY the SCP - new PC, yeah! -, I realise turning options on is really no big deal, so heh ).

So if you don't like that, Just ignore the damn thread, coz your pain ( and ours, in extention :doubt: ) is not gonna stop anytime soon.

Oh, and stop writing half sentences and jumping a line, your freagin posts are bigger than my screen, and I'm in 1280*1024 :doubt:
SCREW CANON!

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Yeesh, calm down guys. If you want to discuss something as off topic as this then go ahead, but this is all about 3D Cockpits and I don't see much talk of that lately.

It holds true for any feature of the SCP that if you don't like it, you can turn it off. If you really don't like something - simply request it be made an option, not a necessity, and let those who are interested in it battle out the differences of what they'd like to see in it.

And indeed, leave eachother alone :)

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
    • The Heat Em Up Web site
This thread is showing real signs of fraying.  This thread is meant to be about 3d cockpits, how it could be implemented and constructive teamwork.  Through no fault of my own it has turned into an arena!!!

If you are going to argue about realism, how it should have been or just how good you are!!  I post messages and topics on this board for discussion, not slagin matches.

Sort it out and get down to business!!!

:hopping:
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

Are You Ready?  Find Out!
www.heatemup.co.uk

Visit  -  http://proxima-fleet.com for the heatemup Forums.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I've got a 3D cockpit that would be workable enough to put into FS2, so if the SCP guys do it, well, I'm ready for you.

Anyway, QD, you are so unbelievably wrong, it's not even funny.
Check out your list, if you read it, you'll see that most of that stuff is even HARDER in a flight sim, mostly because you have the ground, fuel, and ammo to look out for.
And you're blabbing about turning on your EM jammers and whatnot, and owning a guy from nowhere. Well, guess what? That doesn't mean you r0x0r his freaking b0x0rs, it just means he's not as aware as he should be. See, in FS, you can see up, down, all around you, with no limits whatsoever. Hell, you have that all-seeing eye radar. A flight sim requires much more concentration and situational awareness BECAUSE you don't have those tools to help you out.

And QD, the reason you're pissing everyone off is because you think you're oh so superior, and we are noooowhere near your skill level. Well, guess what? I've been able to make my fighters in FS2 do things that would make [V] cry, but you don't hear me bragging about it. Why? Because it's SO EASY TO DO. It's not even a challenge! When I used to play vanilla FS a bunch, I used to simply log in, blam, guy's dead, blam, guy's dead. (I never play vanilla FS anymore, so it's a different story now, tho).
See, the thing is, in FS, once you're good, you're pretty damn untouchable, but in a flight sim, it's all about skill. If you memorize all the tricks of the trade, exact countermeasure points, etc, you can pretty much kill anything and everything, but in a flight sim, you can be at the top of your game and STILL get shot down by a rookie pilot. Why? Because it's not all about GUNNERY. In FS2, tell me, how often have you needed anymore than a burst of AB to avoid a missile, on average? Not many, right?
In a flight sim, if you get a missle on your tail, well, hell, you're in serious trouble. It's not all about just hitting your AB and movin in a different direction. If that missile's coming for you, you better panic.

I'm starting to lose my train of thought here, so I better go, but you simply CAN NOT compare FS with a hardcore flight sim, like LOMAC, Jane's F-15, or F4.0.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
EDIT: Whoops, double post.
As a side note: if you want to compare a sim and FS2, it's like comparing Ghost Recon and UT2k4.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 11:02:59 am by 368 »

Offline J3Vr6

You lost your train of thought so much you forgot you posted already :p
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Kalfireth
It holds true for any feature of the SCP that if you don't like it, you can turn it off. If you really don't like something - simply request it be made an option, not a necessity, and let those who are interested in it battle out the differences of what they'd like to see in it.  

I doubt you even need to ask for that. With the exception of HTL almost all the changes the SCP have introduced are optional AND off by default.

Don't want 3D cockpits? Don't tick the box in the launcher. I'd bet money the SCP have the brains to make it that simple. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

UT - Some of those limitations is precisely what I'm talking about.

Like I said if you want a challenge in FS2, especially since your last post actually grabbed my attention, come try.
Believe it or not, I have the most fun if I'm losing a match.
I myself haven't logged in for a while, yet, I'm still just as good as the best person who is currently still playing.

When BD and I were working as a team, we were easily and obviously, much more than the next best four pilots on pxo in a 2v4 situation (We asked the FZ Team to make a 6vs6 or 2vs4-10 Multi mission for us....didn't work some weird errors with people respawning in ulys...).

Langy got the point;
I find games with limitations, just that, limiting, slow paced, less reliant on skill more reliant on knowledge of the game and it's physics.

Sticks;
You didn't understand that;
Even by your own admission (which I don't really think is all that true, these days, with the F22s and Especially B2s, it's most definately more heavily based on technical/equipment, because specifically with aircraft like the B2 use technologies like those planes, computers, fly the plane most of the time under direction of humans. F22s are slightly more manual, however there is still a dominant technical side over a dog fighting/skill/reaction time side), is at least 50/50, so your beautiful "in depth" simtulations of "real life" instantly lose FIFTY PERCENT of what they claim to be.

Some Wannabe big kids running around in simulations of high priced equipment pretending to be the airmen they know they never can be.

Everything they're incapable of doing is because they can't think outside the box the game has put before them, obviously, it's down to the limits in the physics, planes aren't supposed to be able to do things like that.
Or "You cheat, you use 9g stunts to avoid missiles WAHHHHHH EXPLOITER" and general other bull**** ¬.¬

I mean.
UT Your comment reminded me of a Certain PXO Clan Leader who told me I don't fly very well, who told me I fly in a way that takes no skill.
When I asked them why, they told me because I just avoid all the missiles then hit.
I asked them what I'd have to do to prove I was better, they didn't have an answer.
Simple reasoning tells me they're talking crap because they know they can't match my missile evasion or my close range prethought/reactions.
Or reminds me of some stupid child on CS at the LAN Arena my RL friends frequent -- "Stop camping." "....We have the bomb planted...we're supposed to guard it....?" "You're camping, leave the bomb so I can defuse it damnit!" ¬.¬

To me, in this one specific genre, and oddly enough no other genre, realism = boredom due to limitations.
Still have fond memories of flying military RAF Pilots at a flight simulator at one of the airshows we have nearish my home city, completely pwning them into the dirt so far as soon as they shook my hand and mumbled something about impossible manuvers, ran off.

I found out later, because they were flying how you would fly a real aircraft, and I was flying a game, I was winning instantly, because they weren't pulling turns at the speed you WOULD pull turns because they didn't want the game blacking out or something similar.
Excuses from warriors of the air that got pwned by a 15 year old kid and his mate.
... Wah.
Depth?
Those games have no real depth ¬.¬

The issue for me was resolved as soon as people started mentioning the fact that, this too would be a feature that could be turned off, when you guys were talking about smacking models straight into the directory I figured you were working on it for a default option.
Since Madabout is brand spankingly new around here I wanted to make ONE HUNDRED Percent sure it wasn't going in as default.

UT;
Three people out of the history of PXO Pilots are on my tier level, or near enough to it to make me consider them fun in one on one.
I trained two of them.
The other uses exact copies of MY Techniques that he developed himself after fighting with/against me several dozen times.
So please don't think I'm talking about newbies being smacked around online ;)
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
....please give it a rest....

Offline Sticks

so your beautiful "in depth" simtulations of "real life" instantly lose FIFTY PERCENT of what they claim to be.

I really don't know what logic you haved used to come to this conclusion. My beautiful in depth simulations model these technical features as well.

Yes, the F22 is very computerised, however, it's still you and the stick and the plane. The computer's influence is limited to interpreting your control inputs (as the aerodynamics of the plane are very complex). The B2 is more like a civilian airplane with bombs, at least in the way you would fly it (using mostly an autopilot).

because they weren't pulling turns at the speed you WOULD pull turns because they didn't want the game blacking out or something similar.

If this was the case, YOU would have blacked out in-game and lost. The whole explanation makes no sense. Probably it was a military type-sim that doesn't model these things, which is irrelevant to this conversation.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
QD, it takes a lot more skill to fly correctly in a flight sim, just because of those limitations you keep talking about. Because of those limitations, you have to learn to go around or avoid them, thus making you a better pilot than you could be by simply rotating your craft on a dime and putting the guns on target.
And when you talk about breaking FS's limitations, well, that's all well and good, but have you ever tried breaking a flight sim's? I remember I once managed to stall my Me-109 in mid-air, hovering like a helicopter, in IL-2 Sturmovik.

Anyway, I don't want to play against you, because I know you're better than me, for several reasons. One you play FS2 a lot, I don't (I just mod). One you play vanilla FS2 a lot, I don't (I just play my mod, which would be interesting to get a multiplayer test together ;)), and three, I'm still not acustomed (spelling?) to FS2 mplayer lag.

But if you would like to try me in my mod, then that would be fun :D I need to get it tested for multiplayer anyway :D

Offline J3Vr6

I see this thread being locked in...

"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Blablabla.
Just ignore him for the time being.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
let's lock this and start a new 3D cockpit thread.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

UT - Monday or Sunday sounds good.

An'... tonight was the first time I'd played FS in over 3 months, and I haven't played FS in 18months regularly ;)

I'll be more then happy to help ya test ya mod though
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
in b4 t3h l0ck!
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Fineus

• Administrator