Author Topic: Whatever happened to this  (Read 7756 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Whatever happened to this
Well, I think the struggle would be to find organic animators, a lot of the FS2 (and a lot of the FS1) cutscenes are actually very carefully angled and shot so that the charactera don't have to do things like walk etc, this is a common technique in computer animation. If you've ever played with bones and organic motion, you'd know why ;) The masks on the Pilot helmets are an extremely clever example of avioding work :) The simple preparation of props would be a very long, though fun, process.

But hey, once the SCP is finished, I guess we gotta have some excuse to hang around ;) hehehehehe

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Hehehe.......soo true ;)

im willing to help in hte writing bit if not the actual graphics stuff.......can think of some ideas at the least :p
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by [$$$] Money
Something on the scale of Star Wreck over at http://www.starwreck.com/ will be nice.

Star Wreck is a Finnish fan-made series (with English subs) spoofing Star Trek. :lol:

:lol: I'm still hanging out for SW6. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I could help writing the plot / storylines. :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
i think it's a good idea.

it's not like you bastards have anything better to do anyway :P :D ;)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Only problem is one thing, and I ran into this when I tried writing it. The FS storyline is completely ship-based, there is absolutely zero REAL plot development that happens on-board a ship (with the exception of the commander on the Riviera in Ross 128. Even Hall Fight had no actual significance to the story at large). That means you're going to have to get real creative with the action to keep it from getting dull and repetitive. Wing Commander did a good job at this (even though everything else sucked), by having barely any space combat. Although the WC movie was helped in the fact that there was already a lot of characters in the WC universe (with the exception of Petrach, Snipes, a few others and "Command" there are none in FS2).

This means that you would have to at least significantly change various portions of the FS storyline to fit a movie format. This would lead to some odd contradictions with the fan base, which would be weird, considering the fan base is making the movie.

That's my $.02.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Not neccesarily. You'd have to cut bits out, but it could be "pilotized". See the Rogue Squadron series of books for inspiration. Obviously we couldn't have that much human interaction, but it could be done - perhaps following the POV of one of the other squadrons aboard the Aquitaine, getting information about the (utterly) critical parts of Alpha 1s missions via other channels... it could be done. It'd just need many, many more resources (ie. Time,  coordination, willing animators/writers/voiceactors etc. etc.) than we as a community have to offer. There is a reason why movies cost so much after all ;).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Flipside
But hey, once the SCP is finished, I guess we gotta have some excuse to hang around ;) hehehehehe

Sorry, just can't resist.  What do you mean, finished?

:lol:

That said, a movie would have to redo the plot anyway, so why not keep the overall story arc - the Vasudans and Shivans (FS1) or NTF and Shivans (FS2) would be the "bad guys," and you'd see things from a more fleet perspective than you ever do from the eyes of alpha 1.  Make a character who's a fighter pilot, but like Wedge in Star Wars, who also has a role on a grander scale.  FS pilots are pawns, and would never make good central characters if the war is important to the plot.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
he meant when the SCP is finished then we'll need something else to do
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, the thing is that, at the moment, we have 'Background' only for the story, the player in FS isn't the centre of the story by a long long way, they are just involved in it. The closest you get to being part of the 'Big Story' is when they take down the Lucifer, and you are part of the squad that does it.

So what would be needed first is a 'person level' story to weave into the 'World level' story. Possibly something along the lines of the 'BattleStar Galactica' approach could be taken here, a small group of pilots fighting an enemy that outguns and outnumbers them. FS1 imho did a far far better job of capturing the desperation of the whole situation.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
That's because the situation never gets as desperate in FS2.

Remember our hero (heroine) is named Alpha 1 and that's it! Mr (ms) generic charcter who has to survive every mission till the end of the movie. If no sequel is planned you can then engineer an ironic death. (IE) Saved the Earth from the Shivan hordes, but chokes to death on a chicken ball at the victory party.

One final suggestion.. NUDE SCENES! You got to have one bi-gender SST type shower scene. I always liked Vasquez in A2 when they wake up and share the locker room (She can watch my backside anytime!) ;7

I don't find vasudans particularly attractive so PLEASE no fish heads in the shower!  ;)
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Vasudans probably don't bath with water - they come from a desert planet.

I don't like the good guys / bad guys setup - IMHO FS was about the lack of such polarity, so in fact an extremly terrible war was fought for 14 years without any valid reason a true loving person would accept.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Bah. Make it simple:

Command [a token black guy]: Go kill 'em bastards, people And remember - come back alive!
Alpha wing: HOAAH!
[insert horrible space battle here, also dramatic music]
Alpha 2: *dies*
Alpha 1: Oh noes! My [oldest friend/cousin/brother/girlfriend/whatev] from [backwater system]! I swear revenge!
[more horrible combat]
Command: I must now personally lead the assault! [blah blah blah, something that makes him arrive. Make it cheesy.]
Alpha 1: No! They will kill you until you die! Stay back!
Command: *dies* while finally striking a final blow to enemy.
Alpha 1: This is alpha 1... taking command of Terran fleet. Let's go home, boys and girls.
Alpha squad: HOAAH!

fin.
lol wtf

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Originally posted by Lightspeed
That's because the situation never gets as desperate in FS2.

It was, just we didn't realise it till the last 3 missions ;)

I've always thought the Shivans were playing some kind of Galactic version of Descent, it's just the Ancients could never get past the level 1 boss ;)

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
We could make a story about a marine, that nows alpha 1... Because there is always need for marines in Fs2.
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The plot will NOT be about Alpha one period. That would be boring.

What you should do is keep the plot on a group of persons, possible with some emotional elements, and focus it more on the different situations during the FS1 plot rather than the actual 'action' itself.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Anyone........remember Kappa wing?
Nothing was specified about what happened to the entire wing. Only one survivor made it to the Aquitaine, but what about the others? A movie starting with one of the pilots of Kappa wing (they are onboard the Aquitaine, so we can have involvement with Alpha 1 as well) would be quite usefull in tying things up with the main storyline........

Edit;
unless we're dealing with a FS1 movie. I was thinking of an FS2 movie, sorry.

If you ARE thinking of FS1...how about a character that works onboard whatever ship you're on. Can be anyone, from the Captain to maybe the driver......just need a story-arc that fits in with the main campaign, or at least remains some contact with Alpha 1. (maybe one of the pilots covering their entry into Subspace?)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 12:09:51 am by 1259 »
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Lightspeed
The plot will NOT be about Alpha one period. That would be boring.

Oh. Righto. Lightspeed has decided the movie that probably wont be made will not be about Alpha 1. Period. Guess we'd all better go back to the drawing board then hey fellas?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Alpha 1 movie would be really boring. Outsiders are not interested, and players would have some of their gaming fun ruined because, you know, it requires Alpha 1 to be a person. If not, then the entire movie would be a movie version of FS2 campaign.
lol wtf