Author Topic: Freespace 3 ?  (Read 6440 times)

Offline ehkz

Well looks like interplay is getting desperate and saw in this article that they are looking at reviving descent.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/31464

Interplay, desperate for something that sells, today announced that a Kingpin sequel is in development according to this HomeLAN Fed story. You can find some screenshots from the 5 year old orginal game here and on FileShack we still have the demo. While it was mentioned that Kingpin 2 will be released on PC and Xbox, a developer or release date was not revealed.The company is also looking to revive the Descent & Earthworm Jim franchises.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I doubt they'd do an FS3 though. FS2 didn't sell that well and Interplay are too stupid to realise that it was their own fault .
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
But they threw new copies on the market.
Perhaps to see how good space-sims would sell in these days.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
No, no no NO NO!!!

It won't happen!

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

*mmmmm.... caffiene good...*
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Ok...let me make this really easy for you to understand...

THERE WILL NOT BE AN FS3!!!!!!!

Okay, since no one's done it yet:

Have fun, folks.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
i must say, that's getting circulated well. :p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeless accuracy.  Who needs anything else?  :)
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
:welcome:
to the HLP boards.
you people :rolleyes:
he's a newbie and doesn't know anything, no need to scare him off
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Yeah. Welcome ehkz. You may find people are a bit touchy on the subject of FS3, only because it been brought up so many times. But it all in good fun. We don't flame our newbies here....

...we feed them to Carl.

I was fairly certain this one was gone over in a couple of places for people who join.  I'd missed the post count, too.

Besides, it gets the point across.  And the topic is one that's discouraged.  This is called shock treatment.  Also, none of us are being rude, beyond the comic, which is, in my opinion, pretty funny.

ehkz, a word of advice: Go to the HLP page, go to FSDoc on the left-hand side, and read through the entry on FS3 on the page that comes up.  It's important, and will explain the comic a bit better, and why people reacted so vehemently to an innocent question.  Also, look through the other stuff there, it might have something interesting to you, or you could contribute (FSDoc is a community project).

And welcome to the boards!  We usually aren't this blunt.  Well, some of us aren't.  FS3 is a topic that's strongly discouraged, but you didn't know that, so don't worry about it.  You want to see hostility, go read some of the language under Hard Light.  Some of that stuff is ugly (politics and the like).  This is just humor, and a mild caution on the subject.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 12:33:53 pm by 1668 »
 - Albert Einstein

- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
    • http://www.ngproductions.nl
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
:welcome:
 no need to scare him off

hahahaha:lol:
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****

Shouldn't someone warn him about Carl, our ductwork-crawling Shivan who eats lunches?
 - Albert Einstein

- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
From my FAQ

The subject of FS3 gets discussed all the time and most people have got a little bit sick of it. Rather than continually poke at the large wound that is FS3 we prefer to ignore it's existence. Although stranger things have happened it is far simpler to pretend that there will never be a FS3 than it is to cling to the faint hope that there will be.
For these reasons posting questions about FS3 tends to get you insulted. It's like repeatedly reminding someone about the loss of a loved one, tactless and pointless at the same time. If you post something new we'd all be pleased to hear it but you have to remember that FS2 is over 3 years old so almost everything has already been discussed several times.

That's pretty much why everyone has been so harsh. We're generally much nicer :)

Besides....

With all those nice and beatiful campaigns out there... who needs FS3 anyway :) Plus, writing a plot for it would be a writing nightmare... you would HAVE to be consistent with all the Fan material that has been produced... Not an easy task if you ask me.
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by CmdKewin
With all those nice and beatiful campaigns out there... who needs FS3 anyway :) Plus, writing a plot for it would be a writing nightmare... you would HAVE to be consistent with all the Fan material that has been produced... Not an easy task if you ask me.

You wouldn't have to be consistant. You'd just look like an idiot if Inferno or MindGames or any other project had a better plotline and/or missions :D

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Shouldn't someone warn him about Carl, our ductwork-crawling Shivan who eats lunches?

welcome to HLP!
exits are to the sides and rear, personal flamethrowers and shotguns are located under the seats, if you're crawling around in the ductwork and spot a shivan it's just Carl, give him your lunch and hope he's in a good mood. In the event of a serious conflict there are plasma rifles in the lockers up front. However, these can only be opened by [V], God, an admin, or a hyperintelligent shade of the color blue. *takes a breath* Do not try to enter the control room as it is guarded by subspatial claymore mines. Thank you and enjoy your stay.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 12:48:29 pm by 1172 »
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
he's a newbie

Technically, no...

[q]Registered: Aug 2003 | Posts: 3 [/q]

But i know what you meen...

AHTW

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
so he's a lurker
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War

AHTW