Author Topic: Enterprise finale  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I still don't see a bridge in that pic.  I think the CG team blew it.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline J3Vr6

Here's a question maybe I should make a new thread about:  If we've met the Xindi so far into the past (if you're looking at it from a Next Generation or voyager standpoint), and the Xindi become part of the Federation at some point, then why haven't we used the Xindi warp technology in the Next Generation/voyager timeframe?  Didn't they even give enterprise some of the schematics?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by NeoHunter
Looked like the Golden Gate Bridge to me.:p

Yeah, except the Golden Gate doesn't go to Oakland.

T:  Post a screenie then. :p

J: Simple answer, they didn't think of it then. Duh. They wrote Enterprise after TNG/Voyager. Which I guess would translate to this being the 'first' time Enterprise makes all these changes in the ST. That or I'm wrong. But we still haven't seen the "Enterprised" future, so it doesn't matter.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the Xindi slipstream thingy might have been a "gift" from the gaurdians, and as such might not represent the origonal timeline, or the Xindi could simply not have joined the Federation yet.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Xindi vortex technology isn't as good as warp.

It can **** with time and throw you back a few hundred years and if my vague calculations are correct, once you get into the higher Warp bands vortex technology is outclassed for speed by a fair margin.

And we also don't know what kind of energy you need to make a vortex. It might be incompatible with Human/Vulcan tech or it might be abysmally resource intensive.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Hmmm. The net calculators are bull****. Voyager said they could do 1000ly/year at Warp 9.975, which is roughly WF^3. So I'll use that instead:

The weapon did ~23ly (warp 4.5 for 3 months) in 10hrs+8hrs (an estimate of the time till Ent caught it the first time).

23ly / 0.0021years = 11,193c

Warp 9.975 = 9.975^3 = 993c

So it was barely a fraction of the speed of Slipstream (which could do the 7 year Vortex trip in a few weeks), but kicks the ****in' ass of Warp.

I'm gonna say that the Xindi weren't a part of the Federation till the Sphere Builders started their attack.
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Well, I wouldn't trust Voyager's warp calculations so much either. I remember one episode where it was going to take them five days to go 45 ly at maximum warp.

Unless that works with what you said. I'm too lazy to check.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
All Trek has stupid distance calculations.

Voyager reckons Warp9 is about 1000c, yet they casually take a 6ly trip back the way they came to go check out a planet when, even at Warp9, that would take 2 whole days to reach.

IIRC in Scorpion pII, Kim says something about a 50ly range on their sensors, meaning they can pick up any ship within a 2week radius of them. Even for the much vaunted Astrometrics, that seems a little......OTT.

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by Knight Templar
T:  Post a screenie then. :p

Voila!
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline J3Vr6

Originally posted by an0n
All Trek has stupid distance calculations.

Voyager reckons Warp9 is about 1000c, yet they casually take a 6ly trip back the way they came to go check out a planet when, even at Warp9, that would take 2 whole days to reach.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they can't sustain warp 9 consistently.  Yeah, that's their top speed but it's only for short durations.  Makes sense not to always go top speed anyway.  I'm sure they on average always go something like warp 6 to everything, never going up to 9 unless absolutely necessary.
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Warp 9 = 1,516c  
Warp 9.2 = 1,649c  
Warp 9.6 = 1,909c  
Warp 9.9 = 3,053c
Warp 9.99 = 7,912c    
Warp 9.9999 = 199,516c

The last bit (warp 9 and up) increases exponentially on the warp chart. That's why warp seems so inconsistent but it also explains the Warp 10 effect of being practically everywhere at once ;). And Voyagers max speed is 9.9754 (Ref- VOY: Caretaker, Pt 1). That's... VERY fast. According the tech manual (which isn't canon but still a good estimate) they can sustain that for about 2-3 hours.

For good measure; Warp 9.9754 = ~5793c

Offline J3Vr6

thats still not as fast as the xindi...
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by J3Vr6
thats still not as fast as the xindi...

You mean the subspace conduits? No **** sherlock :p

Offline J3Vr6

thanks for the update, watson :)
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Tiara, where are you getting those figures?

C'z if it's one of the many Treknical manuals, they're a sack of ****. Trek-tech manuals are notoriously and blatantly wrong. Like how the DS9 manual says the Defiant has 3 huge, 3m diameter impulse vents on its rear, while every single CGI shot, publicity photo and plastic model shows quite plainly that its flat.

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by an0n
Tiara, where are you getting those figures?

C'z if it's one of the many Treknical manuals, they're a sack of ****. Trek-tech manuals are notoriously and blatantly wrong. Like how the DS9 manual says the Defiant has 3 huge, 3m diameter impulse vents on its rear, while every single CGI shot, publicity photo and plastic model shows quite plainly that its flat.

Those figures are generally accepted. They might not be 100% spot on but it is accepted as canon. Especially after the Warp 10 incident the exponential growth was implemented and accapted.

The numbers aren't from the tech manual, but they are a simple function based on calculations from the series as where Warp 9+ becomes an exponential equasion.

Anyhow... I'm off for dinner :)

Offline J3Vr6

what happens at warp 10?  Was that in an episode of voyager or something?
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Warp 10 makes you go infinitely fast.

Basically you slip completely into subspace and distance becomes irrelevant.

But it also mutates you into a strange horny fish.

Offline J3Vr6

oooo, I wanna try!!!  I wanna be a horny fish!

Hey, remember when Murdock from the A-Team was a crew member of Next Generation and he was possessed by some other being on the other side of the universe and had him build a super warp drive that made them bend space and travel really really far?

Whatever happened with that?
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
No, not a fish, a reptile :p

That's Janeway and Paris :D:p