Author Topic: Enterprise finale  (Read 8090 times)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by J3Vr6
do u guys realize how many pages u guys spent talking about how a tv show interprets warp?

And you do realise you're on a board filled with Science Fiction geeks? If you're going to questyion us going on about something, you might want to go with a more off-topic item. Like the Economy, or Mormons.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Sigh, ok this is what I've learned from Trek science.

Last summer, the best speed to distance ratio I've achieved utilizing my structural and metabolically conditioned carbon vessel was 1200 meters in under one sixth of an hour.  After researching maintainance procedures and different forms of energy sources for metabolic absorbtion, I was able to formulate a strict regiment to maximize kinetic efficiency. Negatively, this new found efficiency has increased energy absorbtion requirements. In light of this, I have reevaluated my energy sources. I have found that a reduced glucose and increased protein consumption has helped overhaul structural limits and increased overall mass and integrity. That in conjunction with increased fiberous intake to help keep all internal metabolic conduits flowing at peak effficiency. Otherwise, excess methane exhaust would be the result along with unnecessary toxic contamination of lower stern exhaust shafts.

Hows my vinacular?

Offline Grey Wolf

IIRC, the old TOS warp factors were equal to X^3, where X was the warp factor.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by Star Dragon
This is one of my FAVORITE QOUTES ever!

"Cannon is something argued about by people, describing that which exists, on things that do not exist."

I changed the wording it said SHIPS but since this works for all sci-fi I changed it to things...

Whenever someone starts getting bent out of shape and screams CANNON! I shake my head and laugh at them.

I rememebr reading an old TOS novel that takes place with captain scott and some crystaline spider engineers. High warp speeds were tearing the space time continuim apart and allowing other dimensions to seep in. Starfleet put a moritorium on HIGH warp travel (I think it was over warp 7) but they came up with a way to reconfigure the warp engines on all starships to reduce this strain on the universe... has anyone else read this book? IT also describes WHY warp 10 is unfeasible... I think Scotty says something like once you achieve warp 10 (even IF they had the power to break that barrier) you're screwed cause you can never slow down, you continue on for infinity.. (if I got this wrong I read this book only 1 time in 1986 so sue me).

I won't say cannon, but this was written by one of the authors that wrote TONS of ST books so a little creativity on thier part, but still a very enjoyable story none the less.

Using that book's idea you could actually easily write around the warp 10 thing.

Energy requirements for standard warp leading up to 10 become exponential leading to the: "Keptin! They're going warp 9.99999999999951!"

Warp 10 itself is its own thing, easy to get to but impossible to get out of. In Voyager they figured out a trick to break out of warp 10 which caused that whole stupid devolving thing.

Past Warp 10, you'd return to the normal exponential system. Some super duper advanced engines would then be able to do the standard warps past the "Warp 10 barrier" going back to the normal speed increases.

But bah! It's not worth trying to write around gaping holes like that.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
The name of the book was "The Wounded Sky".  It centered around the Chrystaline Spider Lady, who invented a thing she called an Inversion Drive, which essentially allowed a ship to teleport large distances by transferring into DeSitter Space, which has something to do with a mathematic theorem and has infinite space, time, temperature,  ect while at the same time has no space, time, temperature and all that.  The problem is that the longer the drive is on, the further you go, but the more damage is done to the fabric of spacetime.  As the story progresses, the CSL discovers that they have ripped a hole in spacetime that connects to a protouniverse complete with protogod.  The crew eventually tames the protogod and the CSL seals the breach using the Inversion Drive and kick starting the protouniverse by starting time and giving the protogod a game to play called Life.  It's really one of the better Trek novels, if a bit far fetched at times.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
proto-...god.?...
:wtf:
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Don't ask me, read the book.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there is science fiction and then there is science _FICTION_
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The crew eventually tames the protogod and the CSL seals the breach using the Inversion Drive and kick starting the protouniverse by starting time and giving the protogod a game to play called Life. It's really one of the better Trek novels, if a bit far fetched at times.

Uhm...a bit? :p

Meh, just as long as it isn't like that stupid Q book with pages full of barely-coherent text it could still be...alright...
-C

You got it spot on!

Mega UBER cookie for you!

I would have applied to that show "Beat the Geeks" on MTV, but there is know way I could ever beat tehm in the final rounds... My Geek-Fu is too weak.
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
The thing(TWS) doesn't really even read like a Star Trek book, I mean they spend a chapter or two dealing with the Klingons and their new "Hyper-Phasers" and Sulu gets to show off his piloting skillz and give Scotty a heart attack in the process by performing acrobatic manuvers at warp because phasers don't work at Warp speeds(at least in this book).  But after that, it's more a traditional sci-fi romp rather than a Trek adventure.  It's really quite good.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
I didn't think you could do acrobatic manuevers in Warp.. or fire phasers...

And in TOS< the warp speeds were crazy. Like fifth movie where they go to the center of the galaxy in a few days.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Wasn't there one episode on Voyager where they discovered another federation vessel who was using some alien beings to go really really fast? If so at what speed where they flying?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

It was an alien being pretending to be a federation vessel.  It utilized a slipstream drive which is far faster than any federation warp drive is capable of.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
really fast...but not that fast. pretty fast. i would say pretty fast.

...maybe kind of fast.

i'm being scientific!
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
No, he's talking about the Equinox (Captained by Rudy Ransom, Nova-Class). They were using the Etherians as fuel somehow, because they had lost most of their deuterium reserves IIRC. I think It let them go warp 9.5 or sommat, bu tthey were getting along much faster than Voyager, although Voyager was always exploring everywhere.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Carl

• Render artist
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
It was an alien being pretending to be a federation vessel.  It utilized a slipstream drive which is far faster than any federation warp drive is capable of.

no, no, no. you're thinking about something else. he's taking about the U.S.S. Equinox, another ship that was thrown into the delta quadrant while in the badlands.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
jinks!:D

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
I had no idea that so many people liked trek on these boards..  :D
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Carl

• Render artist
it's a board about a scifi game. go figure.