Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 210283 times)

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Originally posted by WMCoolmon

I'd like to see a Freespace 3 that supports the existing community by continuing in the same direction of the Freespace universe. It doesn't have to follow any mods or anything that's come from anywhere other than Volition to make me happy.

BUT I want to feel like I, the player, am able to explore the universe as well. I want to feel like I've got some say in what I can do with the game because, really, what makes your vision better than mine? Is it simply the fact that you've released five games? As a Freespace 2 fan, I don't care - I care if the game dev is willing to LISTEN to the fanbase to find out what works and what doesn't, and give them the freedom to explore their own storylines or universes using the engine itself.

And that, sir, is what I don't see you as being supportive of. From the small bit of heat you've received from the Freespace community, you've assumed that everyone is hostile. This isn't true; rather, your attitude that you're "going in a different direction" from the fans, who merely want to see Freespace 3 fully realized, and your own hostility towards the community at large, is what's gaining you such a bad reputation.

PRECISELY. :D
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
Originally posted by TopAce

Isn't it popular? I thought it was only relatively unpopular in the middle Europe(or only in Hungary. :nervous: )

Freespace (2 iespecially) flopped bigtime. The last great space-sim classic (in the tradition of X-wing and Wing Commander) that was developed... a couple of metaphorical minutes after the genre 'died off' (it'll probably be back, just like RPGs made it back, but not now).

I wouldn't be surprised at all if HLP has much of the still active (on the web) FS-fans assembled right here.
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
:rolleyes:
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Well i gonna give him very small change with very very good luck it could be descent/good game), but well we see what happens
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
hey Derrek ... first of all in those 13 years iv been a sci-fi fan ... this is the first time i have heard your name...

I'm not here to win any hearts, blow any minds, organize cookouts, take long walks in the park or pass around the walm milk.

winning the hearts of potential buyers IS your goal ... so dont say the opposite :) and some poeple liek warm milk ...

My games have been around for almost fifteen years

good for you ... never seen / played any ... actually iv never even been attracted to any ..
checked gamespot though seemes you get 3 out of 10 all around ... what an acomplishment.

eleased five games - all of which made money

yeah thats probobly because of the nice renders on the front of the box (which i can easily beat mind you)

Would you rather NOT see another Freespace

yes i would rather NOT see another freespace game if it was not developed by the same people [v] ... because it would be all wrong.

a HISTORY and EXPERIENCE in making SPACE games?

never heard of any of your socalled space games untill today ... so what history?

NO amount of crying, magic, spellcasting, running outside naked and yelling or coming to my house with +2 Armor of God and +6 whupass, is going to change that.

magic dosent exist .. come down from the clouds matey ... P90's on the other hand DO exist.

YOU insulting lot have VERY few choices and options.

i can think of one ... not buying your game.

I CONSISTENTLY develop, publish and sell games.

that would be the reason noone likes your games ... theyr half cooked (from what i hear)

I do this out of love for the Freespace franchise and out of respect for what I - as a gamer and a space sim developer - deem to be a legacy and one of the greatest space sims ever developed.

that sounded very political ... to bad i have no faith in politycs so cut the bull**** and try not to smear the name of freespace with another one of your underdone games just because you want more money.
I hate My signature!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]

uhm, huh?

[list=1]
  • I didn't insult anyone. I wrote in plain English. And if there is anyone here who doesn't understand English, they need to get someone transllate my verse for them.
  • I NEVER said that all posts here were insulting or flaming. Again, my post was written in PLAIN English and where necessary, I tried to make the distinction when address those who HAVE been insulting and inflammatory.
  • I'm not here to be a part of anyone's Q&A session. If I wanted to host one, I'd create my own thread and discuss it within. I do NOT intend on answering ANY questions as it relates to my plans if I do in fact get this license. IF I do feel the need to solicit comments, feedback etc, I know where to find the relevant parties.
  • Yes, I have an ego. But thats not MY problem to deal with. I am quite comfortable with it just the way I am. I am an Alpha male. A leader. Not some snivelling idiot who gets to be anyone's ***** or Yes- man. Having an ego is a pre-requisite for being a stong person. Most people who bandy the word ego around, have to frigging clue WHAT it even means. The word itself has just been passed down from one uninformed and ignorant generation to the next. Next time you get the chance, find out what the word really means and you will immediately see how out of place and out of context it is as is popularly used. Yes, I have an ego. Deal with it. I don't have a problem with it. So why should I care what a bunch of people think?

An ego is a natural barrier to accepting the customer feedback that is necessarry in developing any game.  Put simply, it makes it increasingly likely that a developer would find it hard to change their ideas to satisfy the player.  

Now, claiming to be an 'alpha male' - is just strange.  Insofar as I can tell, you're not leading a pack of followers in this forum at least. And 'alpha males' in any significant group also have to prove themselves worthy, rather than assume the position.  That is what you will have to do here to get this community's trust & goodwill.

And of course, it leads me to believe your attitude is that you are always right, rather than the customer.  And that, Mr Smart, is quite likely to be a massive barrier to developing a good, acessible game.

How can I forget the group of people who couldn't make Freespace2 a retail success worthy of its effort? Do you REALLY want to go there?

So.... does that mean in order to make FS3 a success, you would ignore the existing community?  i.e. the people who are most likely to buy the damn thing?  Who will you be aiming this theoretical sequel at, then?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Styxx

* closes thread preemptively *

Please DO not!

Originally posted by aldo_14
... does that mean in order to make FS3 a success, you would ignore the existing community?  i.e. the people who are most likely to buy the damn thing?  Who will you be aiming this theoretical sequel at, then?

Also, nobody else but these people know what things can be improved on FreeSpace. Nobody knows the game better than them.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath

Blaming someone else for your actions is a sign of weakness. You are weak.

That made my day. Its so awesome, we don't get this kind of entertainment often.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
God this is hillarious, we have someone with the debating skills of a gorilla trying to write the game we've *****ed about for years, our resident troll is being nice and acting mod-like, and...
wait...

[q]Oh dear god.[/q]

Aye. That's it. Time to give up.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Styxx, honey, check Derek's IP.

I wanna make sure it's not just Rictor being a tool.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

As for greatest. A game does not have to be great. It just has to be FUN and PROFITABLE.

If you knew ANYTHING about the business of game development or the responsibilities of game developers and publishers, you would immediately recognize the ludicrousness of your post.

We want a good game - not one designed to be average and make money.  Are you really suggesting that you'd prefer to churn out a money making game than a good one?

This will be my last post.

Congratulations.  For an alpha male, you would seem to be terrified of a little - god forbid - constructive criticism.

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!

[/b]
My actions? LOL! And I'm not blaming you, I'm simply pointing out facts. get your material straight.

As for greatest. A game does not have to be great. It just has to be FUN and PROFITABLE.

It's not gonna be either this way.

If you knew ANYTHING about the business of game development or the responsibilities of game developers and publishers, you would immediately recognize the ludicrousness of your post.

This will be my last post. [/B]

:wtf: My husband is in that branch you doofus. I know a ****load about what your 'business' is about. Seriously, you are worse then I thought.

You just sank to the bottom of the respect pit and drowned in the crap below that.

Offline jdjtcagle

Don't close this!!!!!!!!
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline 01010

Aldo. Excellent post.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
PHEAR MY DRAGONS!
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Ok, what are the PC magazines we can write to? :drevil:

He throws with mud, we can throw a ****load of it right in his face. We have enough of his stupidity in this thread to publish. :drevil:

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Excuse me when I say so, but this guy comes off as a dick.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 05:29:15 pm by 675 »
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline jdjtcagle

Anon: :wtf:

I'm not going to say I wasn't laughing at that, but stop please
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Voodoo Extreme already has the news sitting in their inbox, along with links to both this thread and the one on AVault. I tried sending it to BluesNews as well, but my email is being wierd.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmmmmmmm.. store his posts, the computer magazine idea sounds more and more appealing ;)