Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 210278 times)

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Posted a little comment myself. Let's hope he reads it.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
[IMG]http://www.mr-johnson.com/images/games/derek_smart.gif[/IMG] +  [IMG]http://www.wapers.com/games/hitman/hitman1.jpg[/IMG] = [IMG]http://www.bsnb.com/images/thumbs-up.jpg[/IMG]

EDIT: disabled IMG tags due to hotlinking prompting for password // G5K
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 05:00:55 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
:blah: hell no!

but think it if he comes here we can make him as our *cough slave cough) think about it he has licence and he is our cough slave cough :D

I think i'am little sick cos of cough's

highlight message
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 04:08:07 pm by 153 »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

For me, It works like this: If its good, great news! we'll be able to expand even more on the Freespace universe. If its bad, Then **** it, its not real, wasnt made, never happened, blah blah blah, I cant hear you. Basically Jd's idea.

I've played some of Smarts games, like BM gold, and I liked it for the most part, so maybe he can pull it off. As long as he doesnt do the one thing that really puts me off about his games: Make it so freaking complicated that after the first month or so I completely give up on understanding (and playing) it.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
I don't think the kind of games he's made in the past are at all close to the feel of Freespace. If he's going to continue developing Freespace with his "style" then I'm pretty sure it won't be worthy of calling Freespace 3.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Rictor, please refrain from doing that, no matter how tempted you get. I think this is kind of a paradox, we've been waiting for this moment for years, almost abandoning all hope and now we are all worried about what might become of it.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Rictor

Do what?

*strokes Dragunov*

I am the angel of death, the time of reckoning is at hand.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I may have the whole HLP turned against me as the effect of this post, but I feel I should write it down: I think we should not be afraid unless we actually get it and it is definitely worse than FSO.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, I've been looking forward to Mindgames or Machina Terra more than FS3 to be honest,

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Could it be that this was not a possible options? :p
Give him a chance to speak, he'll be here shortly...
You forget that freespace is not that popular, so it's more that likely he's a fan, like us :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
This will be more akin to Fallout:Tactics, than Freeespace 3, in essense, he'll take the universe and make his own kind of game out of it, where we've on the GTVA Something, wandering the galaxy.
Got Ether?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
Could it be that this was not a possible options? :p
Give him a chance to speak, he'll be here shortly...
You forget that freespace is not that popular, so it's more that likely he's a fan, like us :)

Isn't it popular? I thought it was only relatively unpopular in the middle Europe(or only in Hungary. :nervous: )
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline jdjtcagle

lol, look at all the members on right now, this has sturred some thing up! :D
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Rictor

Its not that I think he can't make a decent game. Well, I do sort of thing that also, but its not that. Its just that, if it ain't Volition, it ain't Freespace.

He could maybe make a good game fro the license, but it wouldn't be Freespace. Doesn't matter if its Derek Smart of John Carmack or anyone, it just wouldn't be the game we all know and love.

Offline jdjtcagle

Originally posted by TopAce

Isn't it popular? I thought it was only relatively unpopular in the middle Europe(or only in Hungary. :nervous: )

NO!!!... It's not popular at ALL!!!!
One other kid knows of Freespace other than me <-- in my school and that's it . FYI, I'm in America, but lets stay on subject :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 04:20:28 pm by 1472 »
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Rictor

Originally posted by Derek Smart
If I wanted to make a Freespace 3 title, I don't think me checking in with a group of fans going in a different direction is in the best interests of my end goal. I mean, think about it. They're making something from someone else's code base. They have their own plans, ideas, goals and whatnot - none of which will ever reach the critical mass that would warrant a full retail effort. Ever.

I have absolutely NO intentions of using ANY of the Freespace2 source code because its legacy and its just going to be trouble from the word go. My plan - if I get it - is to start from scratch with a clean slate and only the Freespace mythos, backstory and assets (e.g. the ship types, names, dimensions etc) as a starting point.

Bloody hell.

methinks some of you guys are focusing a wee bit too much on "OMFG its not [V] WHY OH WHY!" instead of how the game'll turn out...
Also, you guys do realize this all hinges on whether he gets the liscence or not, right?
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
i guess it's show time...*cough*

[satan] The end of the world is nigh with the coming of Freespace 3 i shall take over the world...Your base belongs to me....[/satan]
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, remember, he's a 'cut throat, no holds barred, no mercy' business man, he's trying to make this community sound like a half-confused muddle for his own gain.

After his comments on Adrenaline, I wouldn't touch his game with someone elses bargepole.

Offline 01010

Originally posted by Rictor

Bloody hell.

*Cough* Kazan *Cough*
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.