Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 210261 times)

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Jetmech: He said "I have recieved the license..."
But I agree...

I think your right, but he does sound confused/ignorant about what we are asking....

He SHOULD be asking here, for are answers
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 04:26:48 pm by 1472 »
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
>.< NOooooOOOOoooOoooOooooOOOOooOO!!!!!!!!!
i wont buy it unless it has damn good reviews and a large portion of the community approves!!!!!!!!
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Goddammit...

Has anyone talked with someone from Interplay about getting the rights? Keep in mind that with the rights we could sell Freespace merchandise...maybe not the SCP EXEs, but the mediaVPs and mods, things that would have a very wide interest group.

And with Ferrium, it's entirely conceivable that we could release a full Freespace 3.

Or we could see if Volition would like to make another FS game.

I'm sorry if I'm being closed-minded, but I just dislike the idea of someone completely outside the community making a FS3, especially with paragraphs like this:

Most of the work would be in the graphics engine, campaign backstory (I have the perfect person in mind for that!!), campaign scripting. The biggest job would be having to re-create all the Freespace ship assets from scratch and bring them up to par with the likes of modern day ship designs.

And don't worry about the graphics engine guys, the Freespace world is nowhere near as large as mine, so eyecandy (the Freespace legacy) would be my #2 priority. Besides, when you see my new graphics engine in action, faith will be most certainly be restored in this area.

Clearly this guy has never heard of the SCP. I haven't heard of him, either...and I very vaguely remember hearing something or seeing something about Battlecruiser Millenium, but don't remember being interested at all.
-C

Originally posted by jdjtcagle
Jetmech: He said "I have recieved the license..."
But I agree...

Actually, he says hes still trying to get it

"Topic: Freepace License. What if...
....Derek Smart, yeah, that would be me, got the license from my friends at Interplay (a publisher I had very good experiences with); would you buy Freespace 3 if I made it?"

"If I get the Freespace license to make Freespace 3..."
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
I never played any of his games, so honestly, I have no idea of what could happen. I think that Volition will be the first to make a grab for the liscence, though, if Interplay ever put it up for sale - they even said as much - so it's more or less a moot point anyway.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
It's not a question of Volition or not as it is of "Does Derek have the skills to reproduce the qualities of the Freespace games?" If the atmosphere, gameplay and other aspects of the series are not retained, it'll feel more like a Freespace TC in a totally different game.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline 01010

Basically, Derek Smart for those who don't know is the biggest ego known to man, somehow compressed into one mans head. He's a complete asshole when it comes to criticism of other peoples work but can't accept the NUMEROUS flaws in all of his releases, believing himself to be the victim of critics who want to see him fail.

Twat completely and utterly.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, he's saying that he may want to refer to us for information on the Freespace universe, which is fine. I just get irritated at comments that make it sound like our efforts mean nothing :(

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
It does indeed look like Interplay is selling-off its IPs at bargain basement prices, so...anyone have a rich uncle who always forgets your name but feels guilty for neglecting you all those years? Might come in usefull right about now.

edit: Damnit, if Volition wasn't stuck with TH "Britney's Dance Studio" Q, this could a lot more interesting.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 04:34:04 pm by 644 »

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
wish i did...

Offline jdjtcagle

Jetmech:
Thanks for clearing that up... ;)

Anyway I posted
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Has anyone actually talked with Interplay aout the rights?

I'd certainly contribute $ to a community pool if it meant receiving the FS rights.
-C

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
I just get irritated at comments that make it sound like our efforts mean nothing :(

Yeah, I've noticed his lack of tact...

Here's a quote on some ideas on gameplay he has:

And if you guys think I'm thinking some pantsy ass console shooter, think again. I'm thinking build an ENTIRE ship in 3D from the inside and out. Then merge it all with a great action focused (with mouse flight controls!!!) campaign that would be true to the franchise. Maybe a few planetary missions (well, I have the tech, why the hell not?) missions to move the campaign story along.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline 01010

I say it's going to be another one of his overambitous titles full of bugs that never actually gets finished.

Couldn't someone E-mail someone at [V] or something?
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
HA! He needs missions to move the campaign along. :ha:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Oh...****..  I think we should inform Mr. Smart we would not touch it with a 10 foot clown pole.  

I've seen enough of how poor is attitude is towards customer support.  Even if i had faith in his ability to make an accessible, fun game, that would put me off.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 04:41:06 pm by 181 »

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
01010, you're Utnayan, aren't you?...good man.

I also love he keeps talking about how "he" will make the game, about how "he" won't screw it up and how "he" does this and that. Yeah, those programmers, artists and designers, who work their asses off, they're just a periphery, right?.

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
we need to forget this ever happened...
Forget...forget...forget

Offline jdjtcagle

Very true, very very true! Rictor
Predator
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline 01010

Originally posted by Rictor
01010, you're Utnayan, aren't you?...good man.

I also love he keeps talking about how "he" will make the game, about how "he" won't screw it up and how "he" does this and that. Yeah, those programmers, artists and designers, who work their asses off, they're just a periphery, right?.

Utnayan? If that's someone on a forum somewhere criticising Mr Smart then it just shows you how many people think the same way as me. He's all ego and very little show, if he can do it then all respect will be given but he has a lot to prove.

The guy reminds me of Kazan, except I think Kazan would have a good chance of pulling something like this off.