Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211184 times)

Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Now I'm back on my username :) Thx Setekh!

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Setekh

:lol:

This was not the original purpose of the render at time of publishing. :D

Yeah, but suits the occasion now, dont ya agree? :p
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]
First Post

Gents, some of the posts in this thread, are EXACTLY the reason why game developers AND publishers hardly pay attention to a game's fanbase.

www.jmsnews.com

This is how an executive producer with an ego (whose products fanbase probably is at least 10 times larger than Battlecruiser's) communicates with his fans.

Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]
Most people who bandy the word ego around, have to frigging clue WHAT it even means. The word itself has just been passed down from one uninformed and ignorant generation to the next. Next time you get the chance, find out what the word really means and you will immediately see how out of place and out of context it is as is popularly used. Yes, I have an ego. Deal with it. I don't have a problem with it. So why should I care what a bunch of people think?

Ego means I in latin. Thank you.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Cogito Ergo Sum
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Such an irrespectful behaviour with fans :mad:

As the code has been released, is it possible for someone buying the licence to "block" the open-source development? this would mean that "retroactively" you could "close the source" that you opened.
I'm poor in laws and average in english but I really wonder if this is possible.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
No, FS2 source belongs to Volition, not to Interplay.
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by DW-Florian
Such an irrespectful behaviour with fans :mad:

As the code has been released, is it possible for someone buying the licence to "block" the open-source development? this would mean that "retroactively" you could "close the source" that you opened.
I'm poor in laws and average in english but I really wonder if this is possible.

No, i don't think so.  The code, I think, is the IPR of the developers - not Interplay.  Same way as you could license the doom3 engine and it still wouldn't allow you to sell a game called 'Doom 4', etc, I think.

The only gray area could be hardcoded references to Freespace 'brand names', i.e. the Shivans & vasudans.

However, FS players are not kids stuck with theyr playstations. Scorn at the FS community will not help this new-title-wannabe to grow.

I can imagine the sum of work involved in FS:SCP, i use it, i love it, i praise it, i need my daily injection of FS2Net.
It can't be erased like chalk drawings, even by a PhD-designer-who-knows-so-well-the-game-industry-and-who-does-not-need-fans.

Just remember who buy games, and who influence the game ratings....

Last but not least :

Count the [V] made missions.
Count the fan-made missions & campains.

Who designed most ?

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
OK, so who's gonna make a huge DEREK SMART model which has a huge blast radius, so we can all blast him with Helioses and Kaysers?

I mean, what could be funnier in multiplay?

"Your mission is to lead an Ursa assault on DEREK SMART."

Command: "Derek Smart is going down! Derek Smart is going down! All pilots, beware of the shockwave... I'm getting huge readings!"

Setekh: ZOMG LOL
lol wtf

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
well, we can only hope, neh?..
but what we don't need are people flying off the handle at this, and not going nuts at derek smart, it's just feeding his overinflated ego, just smite him with calm logic, and the fact that the fans that he chastizes so much, have done far better than he'd ever be able to do.. and with just kudos and appreciation to be paid with.

in short, Derek Smart's an ass, and he should take a look over here, if he wants to see what the real men can do.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
I'm already working on a Coke Machine in Lightwave.

In the end, we don't need FS3.  We can even safely ignore any any of Mr. Smart's efforts.  The current Community is alive and well, and will survive should FS3 succeed or fail.

With the SCP and the Ferrium Project, we will have plenty to keep us going for a long while yet.

Let Mr. Smart take the license if he wishes.  We'll show him that what we can do here will be far superior than anything he can brew up.

If his previous record continues to be an accurate measure of his abilities, then we have nothing to fear.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I'm sure this community can continue just fine if Derek Smart released FS3. The only thing I'm worried about is that it will suck, soil the reputation of the FS series, and give us an influx of idiot noobs who keep whining about cheats, how good they are, bugs, etc. You know the steryotype.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Welcome to HLP, DW-Florian. :)

:welcome:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
You know, as soon as this large concentration of the word "Freespace" and the name "Derek Smart" gets picked up by Google, he'll be right over here.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Actiontrip has a news item also, check it out. The sentiments there seem to be in line with what we're seeing pretty much everywhere.

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=071604_2

Originally posted by IPAndrews
You know, as soon as this large concentration of the word "Freespace" and the name "Derek Smart" gets picked up by Google, he'll be right over here.

Actually, he's already been to HLP, and after a blazing reception, he declared that he would no longer post in the forums. :D

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Originally posted by kv1at3485

Actually, he's already been to HLP, and after a blazing reception, he declared that he would no longer post in the forums. :D

Really!? Bet that came as a surprise to all involved.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by IPAndrews

Really!? Bet that came as a surprise to all involved.

Yeah, we only had to say his name 3 times and whoaf!.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
where?
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------