Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211333 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]

Lest we forget, isn't this the SAME reason that Volition closed their own forums? :rolleyes:

A bunch of retards just blend in with a good community and then proceed to drag it down.

For me, I've been doing for a VERY long time and I have already separated the HLP wheat from the chaff. The chaff had better start praying that I don't get this license.

I think it's necessary to point out that V had several games covered on their forums - namely Summoner and Red Faction.   From that point, it's unwise to blame what amounted to 3 sub-forums out of a total of, IIRc, around 8+ forums for their closing.

There was, of course, the financial aspect of Volition being bought over by THQ - I believe this may have led to THQ having more overall responsibility for customer contact, and hence V having either less funding, or a deliberately reduced responsbility, for moderating their forum.

IIRC, it was actually THQ who took the decision to close the forums.  The VBB had pretty much degenerated into a mess by then, but it is worth pointing out that it would be churlish to blame one subsection of a subsection of the members for it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by TopAce
What's wrong with me again? I told my opinion about the AAA turrets. I do know how to change on it and I would change on it, but the campaign(s) I am about to release in the future SHOULD have the 'AAA whacking'(or whatever you call it) on, because you all like it.

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it but when you put it in the way you did you come off as arrogant and that will cause you problems.

I only mention it cause you were complaining about this board being harsh to people for whom English is a second language and it's not a fair point.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it but when you put it in the way you did you come off as arrogant and that will cause you problems.

I only mention it cause you were complaining about this board being harsh to people for whom English is a second language and it's not a fair point.

Well, maybe it is an english thing - because native or really good speakers can change their phrasology to reflect stuff like their tone, etc - mimicking 'body language' with punctuation, so to speak.  Of course, if it's done naturally it's almost imperceptible.

TopAce - try and avoid absolute statements that rule out possibility of compromise, or add a caveat that it's your own opinion.  That'll help, methinks.

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
<[°"°]>     ----[Right, he is, young one. Fight not the force, you will. Embrace it, you will.]
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The Beam weapons are staying, guys.  :rolleyes:

DS said so himself - his post about removing beams and joystick support was to rile up Zarathud. He was being sarcastic.

Derek, git yerself back in here so I can stop playing lawer for you.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Give it up, Sandwich- they also still seem to think Derek already has the license, etc.

Attempting to inform people in this mess is doomed to failure from the get-go.

Offline Genryu

The problem is, to stay informed about all of this, you need to browse on a ****load number of forums. Which is why information is badly transmitted and often taken out of context.
Man is making better fool proof machines everyday. Nature is making bigger fools everyday. So far, Nature is winning.
- Albert Einstein
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"
- Gandhi

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Yeah, this is going actively on what...4 or 5 forums now?
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline Genryu

More like a dozen.:eek2:
Man is making better fool proof machines everyday. Nature is making bigger fools everyday. So far, Nature is winning.
- Albert Einstein
"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"
- Gandhi

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
I'm beyond caring anymore, can't we just focus over here on getting current mods finished/released?

Stuff what happens with Smart, it's his problem not yours.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
*goes to finish aotd demo

I think I'll just Pimp Aotd in all the smart threads. They're bound to get at least a hundred hits an hour........ :drevil:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Agreement with Vyper. If it's good, it's good. If it's not, we just dismiss. We have plenty of works here more than worthy of being FS3. I say we just forget it... 'Cuz quite frankly I haven't seen the problem from the start. So what if he has a bad reutation? That doesn't necesarily mean that FS3 will suck.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I'm actually done bothering with talking to Derek. I'm just going to go back to my modding, and trying to get something together to buy the FS liscence.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Genryu: Speed-reading and an easily downloadable array of internet tools, my man. Read it like a newsticker, every few hours or so.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Knight Templar
I think I'll just Pimp Aotd in all the smart threads. They're bound to get at least a hundred hits an hour........ :drevil:

Yeah, very clever. :p HLP has calmed down since then, though. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Falcon

Hmmmm what if I told you I was making a Freespace 4? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
That would be a worry. :lol:

Anyway, it's now time for a lot of behind-the-scenes action. Gotta love being an admin... :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Falcon

Don't make go DS on you!!! :lol:

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
HLP has calmed down since then, though

:nod:  good thing about this was we get new mempers

Anyway Thanks god that I didn't post in this thread when I was really angry:)
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline JarC

Mr Smart,

I've deliberatly tried staying out of any discussion here on your plans and the little bombs you've dropped sofar (at the least they had that effect).

There's only two questions on my mind which I would like for you to answer, if you can.

Your previous games all suffered from a somewhat similar fate (as do most games thesedays) they were forced out the door before full completion, AAR they had bugs making them unplayable for some if not a lot of people (I myself am still tryin, without success, to get my hand on a copy of BC that will run on my system,  a PII460Mhz with 512MB and GeforceFX5200Ultra).

Soooo, question 1:

what precautions are you planning to put in place so that this time around, there's no chance in hell to see this happening again, if and when you acquire the FS3 license...

Question 2:
Instead of us being on opposites sides of the fence (developer versus hardcore fanbase) would you be willing to accept financing from this same hardcore fanbase. (even though I expect you already have enough fincancial backing to put up a bid for the rights)

To HLP members...I would very much appreciate it if all of you start thinking for a chance...I've seen a helluva lot of remarks along the line of 'look what we've done in the last 5 yrs' well, wake up and smell the roses, that ain't exactly a lot *if compared to commercial projects*.
So if ever there was an actual chance on seeing FS3 go beyond the chitchat phase, THIS IS IT....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 08:06:22 am by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's