Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 210452 times)

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
[q]Anyway, it's now time for a lot of behind-the-scenes action. Gotta love being an admin...[/q]

Doesn't Shrike have a whip or something for this sort of situation?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Zarax

JarC, not to be polemic, but you cannot talk for everyone here, especially when talking about delicate aspects such as financial matters...
The Best is Yet to Come

Guys, guys, I found a VERY simple solution.

He makes the game.

Nobody buys it.

He looses lots of money.

Weeee! :nod:

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
What if somebody shows him the source code the FreeSpace community has been building? Maybe he will buy it?

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I'm pretty sure he's noticed the SCP by now. And it's under the GPL, I don't think he can buy it.

As far as I am concerned, more people here would rather delete all information regarding the Source Code Developments rather than fork them over to Derek Smart. This much, I agree with. Especially if he claims he can grab everything worked on here for the past couple of years. Aint happenin! :ick:

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by NeoHunter
What if somebody shows him the source code the FreeSpace community has been building? Maybe he will buy it?

Which one are you thinking about? Ferrium or the SCP itself?
I think he wouldn't buy it, since FreeSpace Open is FreeWare(you have to pay exactly $0 for it).

Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
As far as I am concerned, more people here would rather delete all information regarding the Source Code Developments rather than fork them over to Derek Smart. This much, I agree with. Especially if he claims he can grab everything worked on here for the past couple of years. Aint happenin! :ick:

There is no way we could hide it by now. And initially(if I remember correctly, this thread is too long, so I may be mistaken), we used the SCP to show what this community achieved. We tried to convince him to listen to us.

Originally posted by NeoHunter
Well, he can either buy the code from the community or nobody from the community ever buys his FreeSpace 3 then!:D

(post below, but answer here :D)

I think that not that will decide the number of sales.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 09:21:54 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Well, he can either buy the code from the community or nobody from the community ever buys his FreeSpace 3 then!:D

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Ok, rumour control.

Derek has stated specifically that he will NOT be using the Source Code for Freespace 2, and for that, I do not blame him, nor would anyone on the SCP.

Secondly, regardless of what race it is, the models and textures that we have created are our own copyright property. He would not be able to use them without written permission, I am sure he would follow correct protocol.

My own opinion is that Derek has said the following :-

You leave me alone to do my thing, I'll leave you alone to do yours. Personally, I think we should leave it at that.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
:wtf: @ NeoHunter
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Flipside
...Secondly, regardless of what race it is, the models and textures that we have created are our own copyright property.

That's a good point, but who told he would want to use any of our models/textures/missions?

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Yay!

But I probably wont buy the game unless people tell me its worthy of our attention. I just pray it doesnt turn out like Silent Threat.

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Originally posted by vyper
:wtf: @ NeoHunter

Stop that!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
[EDIT] I decided to post on a PM(it's a bit off-topic but not spam), erase this if you want to.
[EDIT 2] I asked how ST had turned out.

Very, very, crappy.

Also, very anti-climatic.

Offline Cyker

I'm with you Vyper - This got boring very quick :)

BTW guys, the IP and the SCP are seperate - The SCP was owned by Volition (It was THEIR code) and they GPL'ed it and gave it to us (Yay [V]!).

Everything else 'tho, the story, the textures, the ships, the sounds, the voice acting, the cutscenes etc. is Interplay's.

DS could use and derive from the SCP if he wanted and we'd have no right to stop him (I wouldn't want to either - this would be against the whole spirit of the GPL), and he could charge for what he made if he wanted to.
However, he would HAVE to include the source code with anything he made with it, and THAT would automatically become GPL too, and anyone could fork it and mod it and release their own stuff based on it as long as they release the code too.

This is the essence of the GPL - To keep the source open and free for all.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
This is OK, but that's GPL?

my question exactly.

only I would get flamed for asking. Thank you.

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Erm...guys, what is GPL? I haven't been on this forums for a long time.

Offline Inquisitor

Irrelevant to the actual license acquisition. And the SCP is not actually GPL'd, it's close, but it's not GPL.

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 09:43:23 am by 122 »
No signature.