Author Topic: My finest Hour  (Read 8549 times)

Offline Kie99

Also why does the Colossus have waypoints when its disabled???
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by kietotheworld
Also why does the Colossus have waypoints when its disabled???

Maybe to force it to face a certain way?  Is it initially disabled?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Maybe [V] decided to have it disabled after they added the waypoint. The FREDer was simply lazy to remove it, or he did not find removing it important.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by aldo_14

Maybe to force it to face a certain way?  Is it initially disabled?

You can just make it point a certain way in FRED and yes it is initially disabled

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by kietotheworld

You can just make it point a certain way in FRED and yes it is initially disabled

Hmm.  I'm just wondering whether there was some AI bug which made it move oddly.

Maybe they intended it to kamikaze the Sathanas?  That'd be...dramatic.

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by aldo_14

Maybe they intended it to kamikaze the Sathanas?  That'd be...dramatic.

Hey great idea!
[RANT]
At least that'd make more sense than sitting there waiting to be fried instead of warping out and surviving, after all it only held up the Sath for about a minute, which gave no advantage whatsoever to any terran ship!
[Rant Over]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Great. The largest amd most powerful warship is used as a kamikaze ship.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
better then a baseball bat...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by TopAce
Great. The largest amd most powerful warship is used as a kamikaze ship.

Well, at least you've got a big bang there.  Colossus kamikaze would probably be able to take out a Sathanas.... albiet the Sath could probably destroy the Colossus if it came head on.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Yeah, big bang. FreeSpace is good at Big Bangs.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I tried repairing the Colossus's engines in that mission, and it just moves toward the node, attacking all the cruisers that jump in.  Thus it's way out of position for when the Ravana and Sathanas arrive.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
thats probably why thy decided to disable it, to make it easier to script its destruction...

AHTW

Offline Cabbie

Damn I like with the Kamakaze idea. That would be much more dramatic (and satisfying) then letting that Sathanas just rip it to shreds.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 07:26:22 am by 1826 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Cabbie
Damn I like with the Kamakaze idea. That would be much more dramatic (and satisfying) then letting that Sathanas just rip it to shreds.

I think the problem is that if the Colossus was badly damaged enough to make it resort to a kamikaze, then the Sath would destroy it with its front beams before it could impact anyways.

The most unbelievable bit about the entire thing is that the Colossus couldn't just lock onto the Sathanas's four main beam cannon spike tips and selectively blow the cannons away before they could fire. Then again, BGreens aren't all that good at aiming...but still...in a situation like that, the very commander of the Colossus himself would probably aim the guns manually... I wouldn't trust a lieutenant gunner with aiming those BGreens, I'd have four joysticks on my Command Chair specifically for each of them. =D

Off topic stuff aside, and trying not to overfuel this thread's fires, it would have been interesting if the kamikaze were done by an overload (or uncalculated engagement) of the Colossus's jump drive, causing it to jump out INTO the Sathanas, exploding inside and outside the Sathanas simultaneously, causing an apocalyptic explosion that blows both up to smithereens.

Also, who says the Shivans are accurate with their jumping? Here's a way to finish that mission REAL quick: Sathanas jumps in and hits the Colossus in the process...both go boom or sathanas survives with 5% hull at which point some little measly group of Deimoses fleeing the system show up and have the satisfaction of blowing it to hell
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 07:16:30 pm by 1644 »

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by Gregster2k
The most unbelievable bit about the entire thing is that the Colossus couldn't just lock onto the Sathanas's four main beam cannon spike tips and selectively blow the cannons away before they could fire. Then again, BGreens aren't all that good at aiming...but still...in a situation like that, the very commander of the Colossus himself would probably aim the guns manually... I wouldn't trust a lieutenant gunner with aiming those BGreens, I'd have four joysticks on my Command Chair specifically for each of them. =D

Off topic stuff aside, and trying not to overfuel this thread's fires, it would have been interesting if the kamikaze were done by an overload (or uncalculated engagement) of the Colossus's jump drive, causing it to jump out INTO the Sathanas, exploding inside and outside the Sathanas simultaneously, causing an apocalyptic explosion that blows both up to smithereens.

Also, who says the Shivans are accurate with their jumping? Here's a way to finish that mission REAL quick: Sathanas jumps in and hits the Colossus in the process...both go boom or sathanas survives with 5% hull at which point some little measly group of Deimoses fleeing the system show up and have the satisfaction of blowing it to hell

I like!

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
But it is canon that Shivans have extremely accurate subspace drives... Ours would be accurate enough to get us where we want to be, but the shivans were 'birthed in subspace'... If they told subspace to put on a dress and dance, they probably could...

AHTW

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor

Does anyone know why the beam cannons on the GTVA vessels in "Their Finest Hour" do not function?  The FRED2 file has a beamfreeall command in it.  Is there some kind of other bug?
Power to the Canadian facist conspiracy plot!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Sounds like a bug. Unless there is nothing for them to actually shoot at/nothing in the firing arcs of the cannons.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]