Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 284360 times)

POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
I´m currently trying to export two meshes: named detail-0 and detail-1. Both are editable polys, and have a bitmap in the diffuse material slot, in the export options I ticked only the option "detail levels". I can´t get it to export them both. Separately it exports them, though... Anyway, max crashes and I´m left with a pof in which there is no LOD0.

//Nevermind that, it seems there is something with my detail-1 mesh, now if I only knew what...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 11:26:42 am by 2887 »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Select the detail-1 mesh, then use the reset xform tool.

After doing so, you may have to rescale the mesh, and correct it's orientation (rotation).
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

i tried it with reset xform, but it didnt help. i tried it 3 times in a row, nothing, i even build those damn turrets 2 times from scratch, still no export.

btw, i always use editable mesh in max, and it exports them too!

ok guys, still no answer and i am getting really really angry about this. i have tried this now for 4 hours and nearly 50 times in ALL ways i could think of, i tried to reset x-form, at least 10 times, i built those turrets from scratch, 5 times, i tried it with pivot arrange, all ways at least 20 times in all combinations, i attached other objects, the detail-0 mesh, a new mesh, i bind it, unbind it, used mesh and poly, NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

so what the **** must i do to get this ****ing mesh to ****ing fs2 engine? DAMN!
i thought i had seen anything, but this thing is driving me into suicide, really....

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
What version of max are you using?  If it's 5.1 or lower, send me the scene and I'll see about troubleshooting it.

If it's crashing reliably, you've got something else wrong.  Make sure you haven't skipped any numbers in the names of debris, turrets, or lods.  It could be heirarchy related as well, but any old mesh should convert one way or another.  Oh, make sure you don't have a polygon somewhere untextured.  That shouldn't break the export, but you never know.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

sorry, in all that anger you get the wrong, i have no problem with the export at all, it is just the positions of the turrets and subsystems.
mostly the barrels are screwed in its positions and the subsystems, the gunturret-XX are in place, but never ever the corresponding barrel-XX and point-XX

i just dont get why the hell this keeps happening, i tried everything. and i use max 6, without updates. i use editable mesh for all objects, all is textured, no holes in the mesh etc.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
To fix that, don't link the barrels to the bases, link everything to the LOD.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Ironically holes don't make much difference.  I can't look at that scene, unfortunately, and I know you've already said you've done it, but select one of the offending turrets in Max (not the arm, just the turret itself) and reset the x-form on that.  If the barrel moves, then you're not ungluing everything.  If it stays, then something else is wrong.  Also, just to be sure, you've got the entire stack collapsed when you try to convert, right?

And Raa's suggestion works too, it just means that the autogen won't be 100% complete.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

the tip with connecting all to LOD0 works, i have to change the rest in pcs then. but the subsystems are still messed up, wrong positions for all of them

ok, i got it, and btw, i am soooooooooooo stupid

anyway, i hope noone will ever have this problem again:

the problem was my LOD0, the pivot of it wasnt in the world pivot of max. so i guess everytime i exported the LOD0 was drawn into the world pivot which looked like all other parts positions were screwed up. how stupid.

anyway, if anyone else ever has this problem, just trie to get your LOD0`s pivot into the world pivot, just a tip ;)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Oh duh.  Yeah, you have to do that too :rolleyes:

As you're finding out, learning to make this converter work right is much harder than just making it work.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Hey, it's simple if you follow the rules! :D

By the way, I'm getting back to working on it. First change is dump the naming convention for turrets, anything with the word "gunturret" on its properties field will become a gun turret, and anything with the word "missileturret" on its properties field will become a missile turret. Any other suggestions for changing naming conventions? I can make just about anything work that way, except for the LODs - I'll need to keep some sort of ordering there.

I've had some reports about the impossibility of exporting destroyed subsystems, but it should be possible - just adjust the hierarchy same way you would do on Truespace to have it working. Can anyone confirm that it's impossible for me?

Oh, and can any of the interested parties go through this thread and write me a list with all the reported and not fixed bugs? I can start to fix them, but I don't have the time to go through this whole thread looking for what to fix. And once I have them fixed, I'll need people to test it, since I can't do a lot of testing myself, specially for versions of MAX other than 5.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Good to see you're back at this :yes:

It still doesn't work with Max 5.1
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Er, I have MAX 5.1 and ran all my tests on it. :wtf:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I'm sure I've converted a (albeit with only LOD0) model with lots of 'destroyed' subojbects.

The only problem I know off offhand is the bounding box (or similar... er, look at it in the lab) being created too large.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by Styxx
Er, I have MAX 5.1 and ran all my tests on it. :wtf:

Well, it doesn't for me. I get the "pofexp.dle failed to initialize" error on start-up. I tried all versions of the plugin with the same result. StratComm used to get the same error, but for some reason it works now for him, without doing anything differently.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Originally posted by Styxx
Hey, it's simple if you follow the rules! :D

By the way, I'm getting back to working on it. First change is dump the naming convention for turrets, anything with the word "gunturret" on its properties field will become a gun turret, and anything with the word "missileturret" on its properties field will become a missile turret. Any other suggestions for changing naming conventions? I can make just about anything work that way, except for the LODs - I'll need to keep some sort of ordering there.

I've had some reports about the impossibility of exporting destroyed subsystems, but it should be possible - just adjust the hierarchy same way you would do on Truespace to have it working. Can anyone confirm that it's impossible for me?

Oh, and can any of the interested parties go through this thread and write me a list with all the reported and not fixed bugs? I can start to fix them, but I don't have the time to go through this whole thread looking for what to fix. And once I have them fixed, I'll need people to test it, since I can't do a lot of testing myself, specially for versions of MAX other than 5.

Wohoo, updates!

Can you make "turret" the code for gun turrets?  Since they are name specific in the tables, it would make upgrades and existing table entries much more bearable.  It's a lot easier to delete one or two extra turret entries in PCS than to rename every one of them and deal with the potential bugs there.

Oh, and while shields convert, they are not stable, so some more work may need to be done there.  And MOI is still obviously wrong (right now it fills it in, for me, with the ASCII of "Genuine Intel...", so processor info, which is completely useless for MOI.  All zeros would be better.  Something that makes the chunk stand out like a sore thumb in a hex editor would be even better, short of making it work correctly)

Originally posted by aldo_14
The only problem I know off offhand is the bounding box (or similar... er, look at it in the lab) being created too large.

Yes, the radius is usually set to about twice what it should be.  To simplify the actual calculations, I usually find the distance to the farthest corner of the object bounds from center.  Right now it seems like it's calculating from one corner of the bounding box to the opposite one, which is almost always twice the true radius.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
If I recall correctly exporting shields was a bit buggy, or lacked sufficient documentation to get it to work... :(

Good to see your working on it again! ^_^ :yes:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
No, they convert fine and easily. Just FS_O doesn't always like them, and may crash from time to time because of them.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
The shield structure is absurdly simple, there shouldn't be any problem with it... No idea of what may be causing the crashes.