Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 281815 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
Can this go on the back burner until next week?  I can manually look at the scene and pof once I get back to school but I can't do anything from here.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
have you tried aurora?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
I checked a few earlier posts, and spoke with Omni dude as well.
Turns out shield mesh exporter hasn't been working anyway. :blah:

Oh and what is Aurora?  :confused:
Name rings a bell, but can't quite put my finger on it.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Bob's model editor. :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
:blah:
This is why the wiki needs an overhaul.
Plus why forums can't be trusted as newsposts.
You miss a day, and something important can be washed under the sea of spam. :p

Do you have a linky for Mr.Can'tBeBotheredToSearchForIt? :p

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
hmmm, lemme get back to you while i search for Bob's sig...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Here.

Clicky

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Don't use Aurora.  It'll corrupt your POF more often than you realize, and most of us aren't accustomed to working with backups.  What I'd do is export the shield mesh as a 3ds file, convert it (joining verts in 3dexploration, of course) to cob, slap it in a dummy heirarchy and convert it with PCS.  Then you should be able to import a (stable) shield mesh from that.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Aurora works well if you only ever work with backups. It is THE best pathing tool in the community for instance.

Just load the model. Autopath save it under a different name and then import them into the original model in PCS. Takes about 2 minutes to do something that takes hours otherwise.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I wonder why Bob has a faulty model editor in his sig, hmm?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Like I said there are some things it does very well.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
looks like a timewarp happened...

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Originally posted by StratComm
Don't use Aurora.  It'll corrupt your POF more often than you realize, and most of us aren't accustomed to working with backups.  What I'd do is export the shield mesh as a 3ds file, convert it (joining verts in 3dexploration, of course) to cob, slap it in a dummy heirarchy and convert it with PCS.  Then you should be able to import a (stable) shield mesh from that.

It may be that I'm two days without sleep, or that I'm stupid, but could you please clarify this thanks?

Are you saying make the shape in max, but avoid the exporter, import it into 3dexploration (don't currently have) and then do what? Re-order a shield mesh?
Can truespace export a shield mesh model without issues?

Sigh. Maybe we could request Styxx to fix his shield code. Need something to bribe him with though. Maybe a cookie or two?
Will more gratitude appeal?

Sigh, we really need a one step process for ship conversions... :sigh:

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
PCS can import a shield mesh from a Truespace .cob with no problems.  But to get it there, you have to export the mesh from Max as a .3ds, open it in 3dexploration (I think Kara's got a link to a free version), save it as .cob, open it in Truespace, set up the heirarchy, and convert it to a game model via PCS.  I'd just put the shield mesh around a cube or something so that it's convertable, then import it from the dummy pof into whatever you're working on.  By the sound of it, you're using the same shield for multiple ships, so you'd only have to go through conversion once.  But enough of that, give it a few days and I'll see if I can do it for you.  But don't complain too much about the conversion process; the plugin is extremely close to a one-step conversion, if it's used correctly.

Originally posted by karajorma
Aurora works well if you only ever work with backups. It is THE best pathing tool in the community for instance.

Just load the model. Autopath save it under a different name and then import them into the original model in PCS. Takes about 2 minutes to do something that takes hours otherwise.

It is the best pathing EDITOR in the community.  The Max plugin makes pathing even easier as it adds more flexability to path generation (how hard is it to draw a line?) but it's only really good when you're converting something.  After the fact, it's useless as there is no way to get POF files back into Max without losing half their data.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 01:21:28 pm by 570 »

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Ok.

BTW, what does the heirarchy have to be like?

Its several ships I'm trying to get a shield for, but a couple can use the same shield mesh anyway. But I can line them up properly by exporting from max, opening in Modview and then adjusting in max as need be.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
In truespace, load the cob that you've converted from the shield in Max, and place down a cube and a pair of local lights.  Name the shield mesh "shield" and glue one light to it and the other to the cube, and finally glue the shield group (should also be called "shield" just to be safe) to the cube as well.  If you can get trueview it should look like this:
cubeGroup
-cube
-local light
-shield
--shield
--local light

Save the top level entry as a cob and convert that to POF using PCS.  Then you can import it to your fighters as needed.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
heh, i'm adding lights as firing points for Getter Robo G :D

BTW, sorry about the looong delay, Getter, eh, school crap got in the way. :nervous:

Good news.  I got it working.

This is what I did to get it working with Max5:
1) Get the latest plugin offered from this thread.
2) Make sure you have Max 5.0 installed.
3) Download this patch @ ftp1.discreet.com/web/support/3dstudio/3dsmax_51_Update.exe
3) Follow the instructions with the archived file which has the plug-in.
5) Start max, your done.

Hope this helps guys.
The big cool ship...

Now, for the really really good question.  So good, it's totally retarted.  How do I use the features of which this plug-in offers?
The big cool ship...

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
I'm already using max 5.1 for one, and two the exporter was working it was just not loading properly ingame.
But I tried it with other original meshes as well, so I'm thinking its the pof, because I got the same results in both modview and pof construction suite.
As for using the pluggin, it has a max file which shows what you need to use it properly. Once you have your model and everything else setup just goto export->save as '.pof' in the drop down list, then select the options you wish after clicking save.