Author Topic: POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 and 6 for testing  (Read 282100 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
POF exporter for MAX - Need people with MAX 4, 5 or 6 for testing
Oh. Well, I said I wouldn't look through all 6 pages to see his problem. I was thinking it was the 'duplicate class found' error.

What I added to the wiki is assuming that the plugin loads.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
@karajorma, actually i have Max2.5, so im basically netural. I only used the whole "Max4 then Max5" as an example. It doesnt matter which way you go, eg Max6, Max4 then Max5, just as long as you focus on one version of the plugin then move onto the next version once the previous one has practially all it's bugs killed.

Originally posted by Raa

I'm sorry, but I will not go hunting through 300 posts to find your problem. Either quote what the problem is, or link to the post directly.

I don't know what trouble you are having with the plugin. (I also am not the one who made it) But, all you have to do is place the plugin in the 3dmaxN/plugins/ directory. If/when you get the error message at startup, all you have to do is click Customize -> Plugin Manager...  find the plugin, right click, and select 'load'.

It really is that simple.

FYI, if you do a search under user, 'Xenthorious' and look only for posts within this topic, you quickly narrow down the search to only 12.

Once again, here are all the urls you need to verify the issue:
plug-ins that work from Bioware NWN: http://talimoor.game-host.org/clip.jpg

Plug-ins which fail to init on startup (provided by this dev team): http://talimoor.game-host.org/clip2.jpg

Plug-ins which fail to init on manual startup in plug-in manager (provided by this dev team): http://talimoor.game-host.org/clip3.jpg

Post from Deepblue indicate this is not an isolated issue.  Thanks for your concern.
The big cool ship...

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Please don't let the dream die!

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
Yeah, don't.

Wow, still having problems with the 3dsmax 5 build of the pluggin? I've been problem free throughout my Galactica modding. I thought the latest build (the glow point build) fixed that issue with initialization. It did with me. I use 3dsmax 6 going on 7.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I swear, I tried that exact build like a week ago.  Oh well, looks like I'm back in business :D
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I think it has to do with 3ds max 5 specifically.

Originally posted by Deepblue
I think it has to do with 3ds max 5 specifically.

Weather it does or does not, it is very irritating that we can not do any modeling work using 3DS for any FS2 projects.  Also, I've noticed if we do not b!tch about it, people easily forget us.  With this said, if I sound rude from this point on, it's not my intent to be hostile.  I just want to see this problem resolved and behind us.
The big cool ship...

Offline i90r

Originally posted by xenthorious

Weather it does or does not, it is very irritating that we can not do any modeling work using 3DS for any FS2 projects.  Also, I've noticed if we do not b!tch about it, people easily forget us.  With this said, if I sound rude from this point on, it's not my intent to be hostile.  I just want to see this problem resolved and behind us.

You can use 3DS for anything just cant convert it directly to FS, just a quick stop in TS for hierarchy and it works just fine

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
That quickstop is the source of a world of pain.

....especially since unlike Max it can't handle smoothgroups without assigning a different material to each and every part you want to assign a different smoothgroup.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Ugh... he said the T-word.

"...the T-word"  LOL.

Does anyone know how this pluggin sets the normals for turrets? I have 98 turrets that do not shoot straight. The only fix is to use PCS to adjust each and every one. PCS runs painfully slow with a 23k model and I don't have 5 hours to devote to this process. There must be a way to set it in max. Its exporting normals data into the POF somehow.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I'm betting it uses pivots as normals.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Omniscaper
"...the T-word"  LOL.

Does anyone know how this pluggin sets the normals for turrets? I have 98 turrets that do not shoot straight. The only fix is to use PCS to adjust each and every one. PCS runs painfully slow with a 23k model and I don't have 5 hours to devote to this process. There must be a way to set it in max. Its exporting normals data into the POF somehow.

I don't remember the naming of anything, but I think it uses a helper object bound to each turret, and draws a line from the center of the turret geometry to the helper object. Look in the sample POF for an example.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
This thing's still a bit buggy with positioning a lot of smaller heirarchy bits; turret barrels don't line up correctly if they aren't geometrically centered on their base, for example.  Also, if the model itself is not centered about (0,0,0) almost all point helpers get shifted and you wind up with wrong-facing normals.  Finally, I'm seeing stability issues that desperately get resolved.  I'd settle for a command-line tool that regenerates the BSP data without touching the normals or polygons themselves, so that we could get the Max plugin's excellent helpers and perfect smoothing conversion combined with the superior collision-detection of ships converted with PCS.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
OH NOES! I HAVE V1.2!!!! :( :( :( :( :(
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
:wtf:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

WOW!!! Thats old skool! I haven't used 1.2 since 1998.

Offline i90r

I upgraded 5.0 to 5.1 and it still doesen't work